Main Menu

Prog 1943: Cold Hard Kashan!

Started by Tjm86, 08 August, 2015, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Not that I recall - not even sure if he's drawn any character montages with Strontium Dog in them.

JamesC

That's what I thought. John's great at doing those sweeping landscapes full of wonderful colours though - I could just imagine Johnny bombing along on his rented skimmer.

Steven Denton

Geoff

Yes, more John Higgins - on anything really, but Dredd in particular.

Also loved the flashback and comedy in this weeks Dredd, it's really on a roll at the moment. 'Winter is Coming'.

Jaegir and Helium continue to thrill and Outlier to baffle.

Great prog.

sheridan

Quote from: Geoff on 10 August, 2015, 12:21:31 PM

John is one of the definitive Dredd artists from the mid- to late-eighties - would love to see what he makes of the older, feels-the-cold more Joe.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 10 August, 2015, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: Geoff on 10 August, 2015, 12:21:31 PM

John is one of the definitive Dredd artists from the mid- to late-eighties - would love to see what he makes of the older, feels-the-cold more Joe.

You make it sound like he's been long gone from the strip, but he did a big chunk of Tour of Duty.
@jamesfeistdraws

wedgeski

The current Dredd is absolutely superb. A rich story working multiple characters, tons of action, great dialogue (I too enjoyed "I can't feel my balls"), and amazing art. It's the high-point of an excellent prog.

Of the others, Helium is all kinds of perfect, the Future Shock...didn't, Jaegir remains slightly impenetrable but I'm looking forward to re-reading the whole thing, and I must admit I haven't bothered with Outlier very much.

Great work.

Keef Monkey

Ooooft. That cover really grabbed me this week. A lot of that might be down to how much I'm enjoying Jaegir but damn that's a kick-ass cover.

Dredd - Fantastic, as this whole arc has been. Surprised nobody seems to have thought of flamethrowers yet, but then neither did I actually. Brilliant final page, all that menace looming on the horizon. Have to love when something this bloody huge attacks the city. Dirty Frank acting out his flashback got a big laugh.

Helium - Will be very, very slightly disappointed if the plot ends up going where it seems to be going (the idea of her being born from nobility or being some kind of important figure just struck me as a bit predictable in a strip that's been anything but predictable), and a slower episode than usual, but still really enjoyable. The bright and colourful artwork really leaps out from the rest of the prog (which all looks great but in a different way)!

Future Shock - I didn't really follow this too well, unless it was a lot simpler than I thought. Art was gorgeous though.

Outlier - One for reading back to back I think, I'm enjoying it but it's one of those strips where my poor memory causes problems and I'm not totally sure what's going on. My problem, not the strip's!

Jaegir - I love Jaegir. It is so damn good. The stories all read better in a oner and I can't wait to do that with this series.

Eamonn Clarke

This will no doubt be up on Pete Wells' blog at some point but Alex Ronald posted the cover image without the logos on his Facebook page.

Keef Monkey

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ghost MacRoth

Was late arriving this week.....but worth waiting for as always.

Cover: Well, Mr Ronald does his usual sterling work, great form and lighting.

Dredd: Continuing to be good...but a minor point....not so much a quibble as a question...how the hell do the two wall Judges know that it's the Titan prisoners??  They look nothing like what was sent to titan...they haven't seen Nixon....so it seems a bit of a jarring assumption to me.

Helium: Nah, still not grabbing me in any way.

Outlier: Art continues to impress....but all investment I had in the characters has gone at this point, I just don't care what their fate is any longer.

Future Shock Great art that made a simple story interesting.

Jaegir: Cracking stuff.  Wee bit hackneyed running out of ammo just as the ships arrive in the nick of time, but it gets away with it.

Grand prog.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

That twist in Dredd courtesy of a very special guest is very, very nice indeed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 August, 2015, 07:43:24 PM
That twist in Dredd courtesy of a very special guest is very, very nice indeed.

Is there a twist...? Lovely touch, all the same, those four special panels!
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Well...for dummies who don't read the creators roll their is.  :P