Main Menu

Prog 1946 - Dark Stars Rising

Started by Richard, 29 August, 2015, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Much as I loved the art on Dreams of Deadworld it still has't sold me as a story.  Whether it was the length, as a short vignette ...  I can't quite pin it down.  I'll wait and see where it goes from here but what would be interesting on one level is a tale or two from the point of view of the citizens of Deadworld.  Admittedly there would be rather limited mileage and it would be rather predictable in terms of its outcome potentially but still ...

Judge Dredd with Dirty Frank?  Always a pleasure!  Can we nominate Mr Flint for a knighthood in the New years honours?

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 August, 2015, 06:05:39 PM
what would be interesting on one level is a tale or two from the point of view of the citizens of Deadworld.  Admittedly there would be rather limited mileage,,,,,

Bloody great idea.  Would suite the 3Rillers format.  You know it ain't going past three episodes, and the ending is written in history....but still......the struggle would be the interesting part.  Love that idea!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

glassstanley

Quote from: Richard on 29 August, 2015, 01:38:18 PM
What on Earth is your profile picture?!

It's an Ogron-Eater/bollock monster from Doctor Who.

Colin YNWA

Well two of the stories in this weeks Prog commite the 2000ad sin of being very ordinary for me. Both The Alienist and 3riller 'Apocalypse Anonymous' feel like they culd appear in any number of comics. There's nowt wrong with them in real terms, there just... ordinary.

Luckily Dreams of Deadworld - Fire is anything but. Not entirely sure I like the fact that is suggests that Fire is such a cranky ass as he's got a [spoiler]broken heart[/spoiler], but it certainly worked nicely as a little vignette and the atmosphere was fantastic and since we don't need to take them to heart as they are 'dreams' and those just possibilities the factual problem is something not to worry to much about. Enjoyed this.

Grey Area was on steady form for this series which I really enjoy, not its best episode by far, but not bad. It very much felt like a single part of an ongoing story, which given the irratic way this is scheduled didn't quite work. When read back this will be fine.

Dredd this week is far from ordinary, its bloody brilliant. It fair thrusts the fact it is building to it climax in ya face. I can't wait for the end to burst all over me. Bloody lovin' this.

So overall middle of the road Prog really, which my todays standards ain't great, but I'm not complaining too much.

Dark Jimbo

Only Dredd really feels essential this week. I was waiting for Frank and Sam to play their expected parts, and Dredd himself isn't really missed - in fact the strip's a bit improved for his absence (feeling as it does more like a Low Life story than anything else.)

Currently I can take or leave The Alienist. Nothing wrong with it, and the art's very nice, but it doesn't really excite me. Hard to see how this could support multiple serials.

The 3riller made so little impression last week that I'd clean forgotten about it until I turned to this week's episode. It's just sort of... there. It reads too much like a pitch for an ongoing series and less like a story in its own right.

Grey Area's not going to change the world, but it's usually jolly good fun, and there's nowt wrong with that. Mark Harrison is such a good fit for this strip.

Dreams of Deadworld is an odd one. Lovely atmosphere and gorgeous art, but what on earth is going on?! Genuinely don't know what to make of it.

Enjoyable if unsatisying prog - to be honest, if I didn't subscribe, I'd probably just read each episode of Dredd in the shop and save my money for the next few weeks!
@jamesfeistdraws

pauljholden

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 29 August, 2015, 04:02:56 PM

Dave Kendall will make a mint when he sells this beautiful cake of a cover.

It's a shame this cracker of a joke was just glossed over...

-pj

Geoff

Ahh...thought I'd be the first to mention it and there you are PJ, the last entry..
Great gag Eamonn! 

Jacqusie

Great cover, the Dark Judges look, well DARK.

...but do we really need an 18 word (count 'em) strap line?

It could be worse...I suppose - it's better than "Free Babylon Five Videos to be won!!!"

Darren Stephens

Love this cover and the strip itself. Superb stuff.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: pauljholden on 29 August, 2015, 09:55:02 PM
Quote from: eamonn1961 on 29 August, 2015, 04:02:56 PM

Dave Kendall will make a mint when he sells this beautiful cake of a cover.

It's a shame this cracker of a joke was just glossed over...

-pj

Thanks. I'm sure Dave has heard it before. Making "dad pun" jokes about someone's last name isn't the height of wit.
On the other hand I know all we true Squaxx can't wait until PJ is back in the Prog drawing one of Toothy's great lead characters.
You could say we are Holden on for a hero.

That's my third bad pun in this thread. I'm definitely getting me coat

Eamonn Clarke

I would also like to add that I am born again and have accepted Bonnie Tyler as my personal saviour.

Grant Goggans

Because of y'all talking about it, I've googled "Kendall mint cake."  I saw that character on The Young Ones thirty years ago and had no idea he was named after a chocolate bar.  Thanks, Hive Mind!

Dave Kendall

Kendall Mint cake?  Grrrrrr, I should just.....:) You'll all be looking forward to the new strip. Greggs of  Deadworld. Where me and Kek introduce dark Judge BMI? Pleased it's getting a good reception. It is hard to say or draw everything about such iconic villains in only 5 pages. Following in some mighty footsteps so very grateful for the chance to draw and paint this.

Richard

It's good stuff. Would like to see you on a good horror series or a Dredd story after this.

IndigoPrime