Main Menu

Prog 1946 - Dark Stars Rising

Started by Richard, 29 August, 2015, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

#MargNotHelping.com and Aquila in the nerve centre, nice.

Dredd: a cracker, with the man coming round in only one panel, that's the kind of quality Dredd I like. Art and story top notch.

Alienist: Wonderful story telling and art here, more Tharg-baby more! More!

3iller: I got a bit confused with the page layout here, even checked there might be a page three/four swap at  one point, shame really because enjoying this tale otherwise.

Grey Area; Nice setting up and banter, art spot on too.

Dreams of Deadworld, I'd always hoped Mr W's aversion to any resurrection of the Clown Bros would steer us away from this kind of thing, There really is no point, in my view, of flogging the dead hearse that is the gang of four. This I feel could have come from the mid nineties, or with a couple of tweaks this could easily be in some Warhammer book, I know there are peeps here who like that sort of thing , but count me out.

DDT did a job on me

mejustnow

Well I'll chime in as a fan of Dreams of Deadworld's first outing.
In five or six pages I've gotten a greater sense of Judge Fire than his collected previous outings combined.
The art is luscious, and there's a real sense of weight to him hauling his carcass across Deadworld.
We get a hint of the system behind the Final Four beyond "they got the judges to do it for them". There's a hint of factions, which makes the genocide of a planet instantly much more interesting than anything we've been told before.
Finally, a question about that cover: at first I thought it was Death in the background, but now I think Fear, Fire and Mortis are standing in front of the statue erected to the last sinner to receive justice.
For full disclosure, I really liked the brief Tales of Necropolis strip too :)
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Richard

It's the statue. Death is standing in the doorway above Mortis's head.

mejustnow

So he is. Didn't spot the wee fella there; thanks for that.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: mejustnow on 01 September, 2015, 03:19:46 PM
So he is. Didn't spot the wee fella there; thanks for that.

Yep I'd completely missed that too... though to be honest I'd not picked up on it being a statue either... I'll go stand in my corner...

Eamonn Clarke

Epic cover - going to be in my top five of the year
Forthcoming thrills - More Aquilla? OK, I'm game

Dredd - fandabbydoze. Henry Flint is an artistic genius and I love the Dark Knight Returns shot of Dredd on the horse. Plus Dirty Frank references Rush. Top thrill

Alienist - the B&W horror film continues and I'm glad they've figured out the difference between the organ grinder and the monkey quickly because that wasn't working for me.

Tharg's 3riller. Bit of a dot ball for me. Sorry. Hasn't grabbed me at all.

Grey Area - Loving Mark Harrison's art as always and the story seems about ready to kick off again which is good.

Dead world. Almost gets top thrill just for the art alone. Fantastic stuff from the house of thrills.

Plus a letters page and a great Carlos Ezquerra print.
Lovely stuff.

Mikey

That cover has sneaked into my 'top covers ever' list. Brilliant...

Dredd. Ach! I thought Dirty Frank was the horse initially, as I didn't immediately realise it was Hershey on the back of his Lawmaster. But the horse returned anyway! I'm putting my neck out and saying Ichabod Azrael is going to turn up and shoot Aimee....Anyone? Anyway, still ticking all the thrill boxes for me in other words I'm still loving it. Top thrill by a mile for me this week.

Alienist. I like this ok. It feels like a thrill of yesteryear because up to now it feels quite straightforward - the art is tasty as you can get too.   

3Rillers. ^ What I said.

Grey Area. This didn't really tickle me circuits too much this week for some reason, but it's coming together nicely.

Tales of Deadworld. Filthy. Stinking. Twisted. Claustrophobic (who didn't make an appearance - arf!). All in a good way as this is how Deadworld felt in this strip and I absolutely love the title page, Fire actually looks nightmarish. Not entirely sold on the idea of seeing some of the inner workings of the Dark Judges, but that is insignificant compared with how much I want to see more of this version of Deadworld. Keep eating that cheese, Kendall!

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Albion

I enjoyed the reference to Rush bass player Geddy Lee in Dredd.  :D
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goaty

I guess the Horse is the Lawmaster he found...?

or Dirty Frank got new rival, Crazy Joe!

Judge Nutmeg

Loved dreams of deadworld , great art and a nice bit of depth to fire. As much as I am enjoying the latest Dredd story there was something about it like trifecta that felt out of sorts. Both involve big attacks on the city that back in the old days would have been sprawling epics . Both series seem to ignore the citizens and I think part of the magic in Wagner's writing is the inclusion of news reports and a few panels to show what the citizens are doing during the chaos.

ZenArcade

What citizens. There ain't too many left.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

NapalmKev

Dreams of Deadworld starts very well indeed. Here's hoping that one of the tales shows the 'Joe Dredd' of their world (if he exists) gets his arse handed to him right royally!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

AlexiP

Quote from: Albion on 02 September, 2015, 03:50:02 PM
I enjoyed the reference to Rush bass player Geddy Lee in Dredd.  :D

This made me unreasonably happy.

Zarjazzer

In awe. Really enjoyed this prog new Deadworld and Alienist especially but Dirty Frank's meeting and the final panel of Dredd are worth a thousand other comics alone. Marvellous. Still in awe...
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our take on this week's Prog

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/09/2000ad-prog-1946.html

Loved both "Dreddworld" stories in this Prog - it was really tough to pick a favourite, especially as both of them are polar opposites. Dreams of Deadworld is a more introverted examination of this iconic horror figures, whereas Enceladus: Old Life is a blockbuster summer movie (on ice!).