Main Menu

Prog 1948 - On The Edge

Started by JamesC, 12 September, 2015, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Rather a dark Dredd cover by Dave Taylor.

It's a double length Dredd this week from Ian Edginton and Dave Taylor. I enjoyed it (the art is lovely) but it shows a very harsh and almost cruel Dredd. So much so that I wonder if there's more to this than meets the eye.

The Alienist is good fun and Eoin Coveney continues to impress.

Grey Area was excellent and I can't wait for it to return. I know many others aren't too fond of this strip but I just love it.

Deadworld was entertaining but I'm not sure I need to know much more about the Dark Judges than I do already. I'm also not sure I approve of the off model renditions of their uniforms.

A decent prog all in all. I was pleased to see the advert on the back page showing Day of Chaos: Endgame as the next Graphic Novel in the Mega Collection. I'll look forward to reading that through in one go.

Tjm86

It almost felt like a requiem for Mega City 1, dark and bleak is definitely a good description.  It seems that Mr Edginton is picking up the torch that Mr Wagner lit at the end of Origins.  I know that we have had the questioning of the Judicial system for a long time (all the way back to Democracy?) but now it seems like MC1 is a heartbeat away from failing altogether.  Personally I'm intrigued to see where this is going to go.  What would a post judicial MC1 look like?  Is it possible even?

JPMaybe

Christ, that Dredd was grim.  Nice to see Gwendoline Christie make an appearance as Doe, though.  Not quite convinced by Dredd being such a bastard with the frozen eldsters.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

sheridan

Frozen?  Does it follow on directly from Enceladus: Old Life then?  What's the name of the Dredd story?

JPMaybe

Ghost Town.  It's not a direct follow up to Enceladus... but does have a couple of nice mentions of it, so this doesn't feel completely like the typical back-to-normal-next-week follow up.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Colin YNWA

Well that's an up tick from last week, not massively so, but still on the upward trajectory.

Double Dredd is a mixed bag for me. Loved the art and the story was good, but it felt like a Dredd from yester year, a less complex bastard Dredd rather than the more naunced character. As it goes I happen to know this story was first intended for a couple of years ago, so nice that its been subtly re-tooled to include Enceladus.

Alienist is now officially just there.We'll see how it fares in re-read.

Grey Area has a bombastic ending. Really enjoy this series but feel its structure has left it a little compromised. A couple of storytelling problem from Mark Harrison creeping back in for me too. Still nit picks on what is a cracking thrill.

Finally Dream of Deadworld, well I'm flim flamin' on this one, liked, don't liked back to liked. Okay so this one was built around the pun at the end but I enjoyed it. Which I guess is kinda strange as it had its toungue firmly in its cheek, which detracts from the tone of the art. Still really enjoyed the portrayal of Fear so overall a winner this one.

So yeah nothing outstanding, but 3 of the 4 won't at all bad so overall better than the last but still looking forward to 1950.

wedgeski

Wow, yeah, what's up with Joe?

I love that the Meg is in such a bad way. The remaining population now clustered around the warm glow of the Hall of Justice, Judges having to rely on special constables to keep things running, rebellion festering within the ranks. There's change in the air. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Alienist isn't really doing it for me, although the art is great.

Grey Area is interesting, and is growing on me. The art is mouth-watering, although a little impenetrable at times. The story is the least exciting thing about it, though, which has to be a problem.

Dreams of Deadworld...Kind of cool, but I want any DJ story to blow my socks off. Anything less is bound to be a disappointment.

Geoff

Dark, brooding cover - absolutely perfect for MC1 at the moment and a story to match. Great stuff!

The Dredd tale was brutal and he's reverted to the strict authoritarian of old it seems.

The disasters that befall MC1 tend to bring out the 'hero' aspect of Dredd, maybe the writers want to remind us of the antihero...

Not that keen on the haunted house monster, but enjoying the art and the characters. Grey Area's not the sort of thing I generally like (art or story) but I do.

Deadworld's an odd fish and no mistake.. 

Proudhuff

Nice cover by The Taylor Droid suits the sombre tone of the story.
Nerve Centre: Cumberbatch on Dredd? Marg has to go ah tell ye!
I thought we'd gone beyond mocking the afflicted, but Droid Life hasn't.

Dredd: This is the Dredd I've been waiting for since DoC happened!
MC1/Judges finally facing up to the aftermath of disaster after disaster, a realistic response to the manpower shortage, both in droids and Judges. Double length too! Hershey/Dredd interplay spot on and artwork near perfect for the story. Dredd teaching the FNGs what's needed for the job, hence the hardline on the Muties and his discussion with the Chief about resources explains the big switch off. This is head and shoulders above the 90's throwback at the back of the Prog.
Glad to see Brienne of Tarth make an appearance along with the cast of Last of the Summer wine too!

Slightly disappointed in the Alienist I had hoped for an exploration of myths and ghosts etc or indeed the Victorian obsession with them

Grey Area finished as it began not a lot nearer resolution

The Dredd picks this Prog up to cracking levels so a hearty 8 out of 10 on that back of that alone.

DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

That Dredd was incredibly disturbing on a number of levels.

Not yer DC stuff, not then, now now, never.
Lock up your spoons!

ZenArcade

Haven't seen the Dredd yet but can't wait. It looks as though some one has finally gotten  to grips with what the place will look like post losing 87% of the  population. Yippee. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Timothy

The week after Enceladus was always at risk of being a bit of a come down. This most certainly is not that. A beautifully dark Dredd with some great dialogue and surprises. It's a premise that has great potential and my only sadness is that there are only 2 issues of this story. Although the return of PJ will sweeten that pill.

TordelBack

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 16 September, 2015, 09:47:33 AM
Although the return of PJ will sweeten that pill.

I wouldn't swallow any pill that particular man offers you, sugarcoated or not.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tordelback on 16 September, 2015, 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 16 September, 2015, 09:47:33 AM
Although the return of PJ will sweeten that pill.

I wouldn't swallow any pill that particular man offers you, sugarcoated or not.

Also good advice RE PJ Holden.