Main Menu

Prog 1948 - On The Edge

Started by JamesC, 12 September, 2015, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Have we seen much of elsewhere? Was the Chaos bug contained somehow in other cities? Given how rapidly is spread throughout Mega-City One, it's hard to see how any other city would have fared significantly better. And, yeah, this Dredd tale seemed like something out of Silver's day. But perhaps Dredd's telling this mob they have to be brutally pragmatic, because otherwise the city will not survive.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Starkers on 17 September, 2015, 10:13:42 AM
I know they've taken in Judges from other cities but you'd think they'd be encouraging immigration from the other Mega Cities, and from their own off world colonies.

The implication is that there are massive infrastructure problems, food, transport etc etc. We're only three years (gulp is it that long already!) out of DoC,. I reckon give it a while longer and the city a chance to rebuild a little and stablise and that would defo be an interesting thing to explore. Though it has kinda been done with that East Meg citizens story line, so folk might feel its old ground? Also if John Wagner felt Mega City One was still too large its doubtful he'd want to repopulate it too much

I think with the economic problems the city faces, the biggest threat wouldn't come from other countries, or Mega Cities, but some corporate land grab. Its been hinted at and I'm not sure how invasion of the Capital Investors would make a good story, but I'm sure there's one there... somewhere...

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2015, 10:53:39 AM
Have we seen much of elsewhere? Was the Chaos bug contained somehow in other cities? Given how rapidly is spread throughout Mega-City One, it's hard to see how any other city would have fared significantly better.

I suspect MC-1's problems were unique - targeted attacks on C&C, PSU and key personnel, sleeper agents, coordination with existing terrorist groups, PR subversion, the Dark Judges loose, bio-engineered agents working for maximum contagion - plus a population that hates and mistrusts the Judges. Without those things, and specifically the rioting that followed the 'euthanasia' footage, the Chaos bug would have been relatively easily contained, given the weakness Yurges built into it.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 September, 2015, 01:53:22 PM
Slightly disappointed in the Alienist I had hoped for an exploration of myths and ghosts etc or indeed the Victorian obsession with them

You can't review a story because it's not what you expected!  Well, you can, but it's not really a review.

Still enjoying Alienist myself, and Grey Area (though it took me more than a couple of looks to work out the bit with Manners) and Dredd was great though, as others have mentioned, perhaps a little too "old school". Would it have hurt to show him thinking how he's sort of come full circle again (time was when he'd have pulled the plug without a second thought, then there was a bit more nuance, and now he's back to blowing away people who look kind of funny and pulling plugs akimbo). Yeah, probably.

Dreams of Deadworld?  Well, still loving the art myself but it lives or dies on whether or not you think it's still OK to use *that* pun after 38 years. I'm in the NO camp.  But equally, I can give it points for chutzpah.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 September, 2015, 11:03:47 AM
[Absalom>Jaegir>>Aquila>>>Monsterology>>>Alienist>Man from the Ministry

Can't argue with that top three. Though having done a concerted re-read of Aquila recently, I'd reverse teh order.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 September, 2015, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 16 September, 2015, 11:03:47 AM
[Absalom>Jaegir>>Aquila>>>Monsterology>>>Alienist>Man from the Ministry

Can't argue with that top three. Though having done a concerted re-read of Aquila recently, I'd reverse teh order.

Shirley this ^^ should be on the Judge Gordon Rennie thread?

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 September, 2015, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 September, 2015, 01:53:22 PM
Slightly disappointed in the Alienist I had hoped for an exploration of myths and ghosts etc or indeed the Victorian obsession with them
You can't review a story because it's not what you expected!  Well, you can, but it's not really a review.

Just explaining my disappointment, its me not you  :D
DDT did a job on me

The Adventurer

QuoteAbsalom>Jaegir>>Aquila>>>Monsterology>>>Alienist>Man from the Ministry

Oh I'll disagree. I'll disagree HARD

Absalom > Jaegir > Man From the Ministry > Alienist > Aquila

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Excellent.

Droid Life:  Pointless.

Dredd:  Brilliant.  But scary.  A few times before, I've thought 'oh shit' at the start of a Dredd tale, as I felt it had the kind of 'wrapping up' feel about it.  I know we get disaster after disaster....but the city always prevails.  This kind of tale that shows the cumulative effect of those disasters in an unvarnished fashion always scare me that we are heading toward the inevitable end.  As to Dredd being such a hardass....I kinda see his point on the cryo folks.  There ain't the resources to keep the living in any kind of decent state, so pulling the plug on the facility was what I expected he'd do to be honest. 

Alienist:  Yeah, kinda losing interest there a bit, but still enjoyable to a degree.

Grey Area:  Never seems to progress enough in each chunk for me!  But I guess 'leave the audience wanting more' is a decent way to run a tale.  Look forward to it's return.

Deadworld:  Much like Fear himself, this tale is likely to be the weakest of the 4.  Not bad in any way, art is again horror-tastic, story rolls to the pun nicely, just that I enjoyed the previous ones more.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

I'm not sure that the Fear episode really is built around that ancient pun. It seems far more about Fear's own fear (of inadequacy), in the same way that Mortis' story was about running down towards endless stasis and Fire's about being consumed, or not, by desire. The pun is just a nice way to tie these anxieties to Fear's most famous moment, we he does indeed fail to perform.

Makes me wonder whether the form each DJ takes is more about their own weaknesses rather than their strengths or preferences. In this light Death's tenacious clinging to life (of a sort), supposedly so that he can complete his righteous mission, assumes an added irony.

What a great series this is.

Ghost MacRoth

Oooh....now that is a very good insight! 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Ghost MacRoth

So...maybe Death is motivated by his fear of mortality?  Mmm.....can't wait to read the next one!

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 18 September, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
I'm not sure that the Fear episode really is built around that ancient pun. It seems far more about Fear's own fear (of inadequacy), in the same way that Mortis' story was about running down towards endless stasis and Fire's about being consumed, or not, by desire. The pun is just a nice way to tie these anxieties to Fear's most famous moment, we he does indeed fail to perform.

Makes me wonder whether the form each DJ takes is more about their own weaknesses rather than their strengths or preferences. In this light Death's tenacious clinging to life (of a sort), supposedly so that he can complete his righteous mission, assumes an added irony.

What a great series this is.

Not having managed to get away from work early enough to get to the comic shop in time this week, I'm left wondering what the pun is going to be...

My guess is something like "don't let it get to your head".

Frank

Quote from: Tordelback on 18 September, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
Makes me wonder whether the form each DJ takes is more about their own weaknesses rather than their strengths or preferences.

That's my reading of it - in the same way the minute you hear a public figure denouncing homosexuality you can start the countdown to the tabloid exposé of their five rent boy per day habit. The outward form they adopt and present to the world is actually the key to understanding their own neuroses.

Dahmer and Nilsen murdered their victims because they were afraid they were incapable of making them stay in any other way and the self-aggrandising rhetoric and genocide that characterised Adolf Hitler's management style can be understood as attempts to compensate for and project onto the rest of the world the insecurities arising from verbal and physical abuse the young Shicklegruber suffered at the hands of his father. Mao and Stalin too.

Ghost MacRoth

Could also be that they was just twisted cunts right enough. ;)

ZenArcade

Did Dredd ice, Compo, Clegg, Foggy et al?  :lol: Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead