Main Menu

Prog 1949: Murder Most Foul

Started by Richard, 19 September, 2015, 05:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Dreams Of Deadworld Although not perfect this has been a great series with fantastic artwork and an excellent finale. 

Deadworld suddenly has a lot more depth to it than ever before and is therefore far more interesting-The revelation of other Dark Judges makes perfect sense and better explains how they were able to destroy a world, it also makes this world an even darker place. Their names are well chosen too (so much better than the poorly chosen names of Phobia and Nausea for the Sisters). Pity they were killed off so quickly, but they sure made an impression.

[/Dreddb]  A very good two-parter -strangely suitably juxtaposed alongside the Deadworld series, Mega City One is disturbingly starting to show similarities. Dredd is doing a good Judge Death impression too, besides his very impressive (if not world shaking) body count, he didn't think twice before shutting down the life support for the old croaks did her and as for Jane Doe (the last surviving member of his team...how familiar a scenario is that?), was there really 'nothing he could do' to save her .....?  ;) :o :D

Starkers

I'm in the camp that found Dredd a little disappointing, from the old school portrayal of Old Stony Face last week we now end up with the familiar better the devil you know trope from Doe, plus deathbed "You can make it better, Dredd". This might be going somewhere interesting, could Mega City 1 become a functioning democracy with the judges existing with civilian oversight, but if not this was a touch forgettable. Shame as if the other characters had been fleshed out more, and if Dredd hadn't been 20th Century Dredd this might have been a lot better.

I had a moment's deja vu at the start of the classic Future Shock remembering the shock where everyone could trace their ancestry back to someone famous, but thankfully this was something new. Great premise but I thought the resolution was weak, why the company wouldn't have anticipated he'd survive and just tinker with his memories was a hole in the plot for me. Like I say though wonderful idea, and lovely art.

I think I guessed early on that Death would be the murderer but it was still amusing. As others have said I'm not sure about the other cenobite Dark Judges but I did like the fact that Death can justify what he does and his "Otherwise we'd just be monsters" line was chilling as it was funny. I'm not sure the series has added too much to the Dark Judges mythos but its been enjoyable (think the Mortis one was my favourite)

The Alienist was ok, but probably the weakest thing in the prog for me.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 September, 2015, 09:42:57 AM
Pity they were killed off so quickly...

"You cannot kill what doesss not etc."

What's interesting here is how heartily and bitterly I laughed at Judge Metastatis and Judge IBS (or whatever they were called) over in IDW Dredd, yet while these guys are every bit as silly and superfluous I thought they were a fantastic addition to the gang.  Shows what a bit of style and some seriously drokked-up visuals can do.

And possibly we even got an answer to 'whyyy a sssheep' - 'cos that's exactly what you are, Mortisss.

Truly, I bloody loved this series.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our take on Prog 1949

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/09/2000ad-prog-1949.html

Really enjoyed this two (or four) part Judge Dredd storyline - some cracking art from Dave Taylor!
Looking forward to Prog 1950 and a fresh raft of new stories!

Tiplodocus

My digital subscription has mucked up and they are still trying to sort it.  Suffering from thrill power shortage...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!