Main Menu

Prog 1954 Kingslayer!

Started by Proudhuff, 24 October, 2015, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Fine cover:

Nerve Centre: TotF: Geeks are coming back!
Damage report: telling it like it is: Millertime!

Dredd: wrapped up nice and quick, with PSU down and the whole Day of Chaos fallout I'm glad Records are keeping on top of things. Great work by Colin and Chris .

Defoe: more madness and mayhem

Brass Sun: Who is that Mordred chappie again?

SinDex: the promise that this is the end of Moses has got me interested, and Rich's pleading  ;)

Bad Company: enjoying the artwork but champing at the bit for the resolution

Seven out of ten

DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Excalibur - my favourite Arthurian film (I like to think the Sláine story follows directly from the film).

Dark Jimbo

I could have stood a fair few more weeks of this most delicious of Dredd thrillers, but unlike a certain pair of gunsharks, Wagner knows when to leave us wanting more. [spoiler]PJ lives to fight another day[/spoiler] and Dredd is left to grind his teeth. Wonder what's to come next week?

Defoe worldbuilds a bit more and tantalises us with a bit more panel time for the new Brethren members, without actually introducing us. Hopefully that's to come next week when we see them in action. Gallagher's zombie panels are just fantastic - and the hanged reeks, with their stretched necks, are just the creepiest things ever.

Brass Sun chugs onward. Perfectly fine acton romp, but this strip's always a bit decompressed for my taste. Too few panels per page for my taste.

I give it a lot of grief these days, but Sin-Dex was really good this week. In isolation, a taught and engaging crime thriller; it's in the grand scheme of things that it annoys me. It's the continuation of a storyline that's been dragging on for far, far too long (Eleven bleedin' years!!!!) and it resolutely refuses to tell the more interesting story at every turn. Fair play to Goddard though, giving it his all at every turn.

Bad Company really picks up. We get a brief-but-fascinating flashback to pre-Bad Company days and a convincing explanation for Flytrap's ressurection (if we're inclined to believe it), finishing with some promise of an all-action episode next week.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Well we're at one of those glorious points when reviewing the Prog gets a little tricky. Its all so good that I find I'm quibbling over small stuff to find something to say other than BLOODY BRILLIANT.

Cos well its BLOODY BRILLIANT

This week Dredd finished which was a shock, okay so it set up an end to the 8 killer last week and well we get... oh you can read it, BUT when read the craft of the writing makes you wonder why this would be going on any longer. Its perfectly formed and as has been said leaves you begging for me. Supreme.

Defoe has a bit of a dip. For whatever unreasonable reason I do find I don't like this as much when the settling drifts from the historically correct. Which is unfair as I'm normally not arsed about this,  after all its bloody fiction and its not as if its not established that in this story its perfectly fine. BUT show me that Temple of Solomon and I find my teeth grating. Happened last week with the spider clockwork people in the background, but I let it slip as that as a background detail. This though, nah bugged me. Which again I acknowledge is bloody stupid, but if its there you can't ignore it. Still hasn't thrown me totally off the story so this is still the Defoe that I've enjoyed more than any other.

Brass Sun, was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. How scary was Septimus, how broken Wren, how sad it all is. I'm really pulling for these two, but don't see how they can get back from this. The sort of tension the story has crafted is absolute testament to the brilliance of the creative team and the world they are architects to and the characters with which they have populated this world. Bloody love this and HOW great was that ending.

Sinister Dexter, well almost like above its building the tension, loved the focus on Moses and the way Abnett remembers to tell us what a horrible man he is (and thus great character). In doing so he also crafted tension and the cops conversation added to this with subtle ease. Unlike some I'm also left hankering for more and can't wait to see were we go with this. Its building brilliantly and we know were it goes from here... the thing is I don't know quite what its destination is. I think I know, I assume I know... but the tension and seed of doubt has been planted and that is another testament to craft. Oh and Goddard is perfect.

Bad Company has teased and tantalised and last week we started to see were the resolution was coming from and this week we continue to build to that. All the time while doing this Milligan and co throw in the violence and action in a smart way. This is getting better and better and again I'm left desperate to know what's to come.

One perfect, unseen ending, three endings that have left we wishing for next week already AND another thrill punching above its weight. Best line up in years (well possibly but its defo up there.)

Darren Stephens

Great prog, I thought. Call me crazy, but I still think that guy at the end of Dredd[spoiler] is PJ Maybe....[/spoiler]
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 October, 2015, 08:21:24 PM
Great prog, I thought. Call me crazy, but I still think that guy at the end of Dredd[spoiler] is PJ Maybe....[/spoiler]

That would be quite brilliant if that was the case.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 October, 2015, 09:41:12 PM

That would be quite brilliant if that was the case.

Yeh....[spoiler]I'm just thinking, if he can access Justice Dept records so easily, he can alter the historical records too....maybe! [/spoiler]  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

wedgeski

That was absolutely my conclusion as well.

Eamonn Clarke

Still no Prog here. Anyone else missing theirs?
No cover image yet I'm afraid.

JamesC

Yes, I'm missing mine. Usually comes first thing on a Saturday.

IronGraham

:(  so far no copy hopefully today it'll be in the mail
We're werewolves not swearwolves

TordelBack

I do wonder if perhaps we've gone to the well once too often with PJ-alters-the-records for these cool theories to be correct.  Especially as seemed like it was one of his CB associates that arranged documents for 'Roberto Smith' back in the post-Mayor pre-Chaos days.  Roberto never was (in theory) a beach attendant in Ciudad Barranquilla, and was never officially in MC-1 until he 'arrived' in the city as the freshly married Mr. Allegra Strepsil - at which point PJ's DNA presumably went on file as his, and matched whatever invented CB records were available, presumably the source of the confusion.

IIRC the last time he pulled an identity switch was using judges suborned by SLD-Whatever to physically swap things, and was much later caught out by an examination of DNA in an old evidence box.  This time he would have had to accessed and tampered with another evidence box for [spoiler]Gillo[/spoiler] to actually be Maybe, and I think that'd be stretching it.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me