Main Menu

Prog 1958 - The Egos Have Landed!

Started by Richard, 21 November, 2015, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Danny is clearly the key here one way or another, but I don't really have any speculation of my own to offer there. Loved the Krool Heart theory as soon as I first heard it, though!

@jamesfeistdraws

Woolly

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 November, 2015, 09:37:08 PM
Terror Tale - The Crow Gift was indeed a beak and souless tale...

Best. Typo. Ever.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 24 November, 2015, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 November, 2015, 09:37:08 PM
Terror Tale - The Crow Gift was indeed a beak and souless tale...

Best. Typo. Ever.

Arh and you know whats funny about that is I was thinking as I typed that - there's a good pun in there if I wanted. It would seem my fingers decided to seek it out even if my tired old brain couldn't muster the energy!

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 November, 2015, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 November, 2015, 12:57:02 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 November, 2015, 12:43:53 PM
The bigger mystery, of course, is why Earth still exists and how our dead heroes are still kicking - and the ultimate success or failure of this strip is really going to hinge on that!

Yeah I got my answer to that all sorted and the clue was in the first part. I think Danny [utter nonsense speculation on]is the Krool Heart or at least connected to it still, and learning about the war from the Krool perspective [utter nonsense speculation off]. I have a long history of being very wrong about such things

Danny is clearly the key here one way or another, but I don't really have any speculation of my own to offer there. Loved the Krool Heart theory as soon as I first heard it, though!

I have a theory of my own ...

The Sherman Kid

Bad Company  Been very patient with this one as an old favourite, but 9 weeks in and its still an almighty mess. Regardless of the ending, (I'm beyond caring what the surprise is), its been utter garbage, made worse by woeful artwork.

Thankfully such missteps are rare, but this is definitely a big one.

Spikes

I must admit Bad Company is a bit of a puzzler - it'll be interesting to read it all in one go, once its completed, but really liked this weeks helping.
I think the only weak link for me continues to be Defoe. I loved the previous helpings, but this one is grabbing me. Not bad by any stretch, just not quite clicking for some reason...
Though Leigh's art continues to be gorgeous.

Brass Sun continues to be marvellous, and the art makes me smile. Dredd is a curious one, this week. Mmmm, what is going on here, eh?
And a lovely bleak Terror tales.

A pretty decent, if not outstanding prog this week.

Frank

Quote from: Spikes on 25 November, 2015, 06:46:03 PM
Dredd is a curious one, this week. Mmmm, what is going on here, eh?

Somehow, I doubt Dredd's joined the long list of North American law enforcers silly enough to murder someone on camera. Not so much satire as direct quotation:

The subcontracting of Roffman's blackmail duties to private industry is essentially a dramatisation of the current debate on the Political Thread relating to the deleterious effect of corporatism on the health of the body politic- Dredd's definitely a big government man.

Sad to learn this is Leigh Gallagher's farewell to Defoe; this series has been the best art I've seen from him, with this week capturing a Zenith: Phase Three atmosphere of (pseudo)heroes over an alternate London. Hope Leigh's coming collaboration with Edginton produces art as lovely as Culbard's quietly marvelous gay robots and Sergio Leone ponchos.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richard

He was brutally beaten to death, so no. Might be a robot though.

ZenArcade

Sometimes it is not what it seems. Sometimes. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Magnetica

Slightly better Prog than last week, due almost entirely to a magnificent Dredd. Really great concept, laugh out load name (OCD indeed!). Great art. I can't remember Patrick Goddard doing Dredd before. The rendition of Dredd himself reminds me of Will Simpson. Plus there is a new take on the bike.  I can't believe Dredd [spoiler]would actual kill that guy so obviously something else is going on. My guess is it is to bring down the OCD. But shouldn't that be the SJS's job?[/spoiler]

The rest - not much to say other than:

Defoe - not sure I understand the Vizzard's motivation in attacking the common man. That they view them as beneath them isn't enough IMO.

Bad Company - yes this was a bit more like how it used to be, but given it is part of this run, that doesn't redeem it. I say that with a heavy heart as it was a really good thrill before.

Spikes

White cops kill black guys in America.
Dredd, who's black, kills a white guy in Mega City One.

Is that the twist?

staticgirl

As I have never seen any Bad Comapny I am free from expectation and am quite enjoying it. It's taken a bit too long to get to this plot point but I am looking forward to what happens next.

Gorgeous art in the Terror Tale. I hope that the artist doesn't end up grinding their hands to stumps like Leigh Gallagher.

Loving Defoe and the Dredd tale is clearly not revealing all yet, which is ironic given the surveillance issue.

I am afraid Brass Sun has started to bore me. The protagonists keep getting bogged down for too long.

TordelBack

Nice prog that, although I'm missing Sinister Dexter (almost as much as their enemies do).

Dredd: Who stings the stingers, eh?  Gorgeous art.
Defoe:  A logical change in direction to close out this book - never rests on those Cal-like laurels does Pat.  Somewhat distraught to hear Leigh is ending his tenure, honestly can't imagine the strip without him.
Brass Sun:  Myenjoyment of this strip waxes and wanes, but this is a good instalment.  To be honest I've found the successive environments rather dull ever since Wren and 17 left that giant greenhouse, but I do like the characters.   
Bad Company:  Still enjoying this greatly, and still fairly sure I know where it's going. 

Star of the show this week is the Bailie Terror Tale, which gave me that rarest of things, a genuine shiver down the spine.  The art was spectacular, and as intended it completely wrongfooted me into thinking [spoiler]Olivia had tamed the birds >snore<[/spoiler]... until I read the caption, and looked closer, and  brrrrrr.  Job jobbed, gentlemen.

jacob g

I enjoyed every story in Prog except one - Terror Tales. I don't know what to think about this story. In the beginning I was impressed with some ideas but the final execution totally doesn't work for me. Not at all.
margaritas ante porcos