Main Menu

Mega City One population.

Started by redstellini, 22 September, 2013, 11:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redstellini

So I just read the Day Of Chaos collection right, and I was wondering, after all the death and destruction, what's the actual number of people living in the big meg right now? According to the Chief Judge, 347 million died in the days leading to chaos day. Anyone can clarify?

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Quote from: redstellini on 22 September, 2013, 11:44:35 PM...347 million died in the days leading to chaos day. Anyone can clarify?

The vast majority of those actually died after Chaos Day/Election Day, as shown in 'The Days After', although the transmission of the Chaos virus between blocks took place during the rioting and fighting prior to the day itself. 

But yeah, only 1 in 8 citizens survived those weeks*.  Circumstantial evidence from subsequent stories suggests that the fatalities were unevenly distributed, with individual blocks, areas and maybe even sectors having much higher survival rates**, while the death toll in other areas was total.  Certain groups might also be expected to have been less likely to succumb due to precautions or protection, including Justice Dept themselves, the isolated or well-defended rich, and well-organised Citi-Defs or the sharper criminal gangs. 

The Judges are engaged in an ongoing programme of 'clearance' and rationalisation, effectively continuing the 'safe blocks' policy from the height of the crisis in moving citizens into densely populated areas.  Hence some parts of the city look as bustling as ever, while far greater parts are now deserted wastelands.

*Or just 1 out of 16 of the total population at the start of the 22nd Century.  Nice work, Justice Department!
** Otherwise how could various criminal networks we've seen continue to function?

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2013, 12:26:02 AM
Quote from: redstellini on 22 September, 2013, 11:44:35 PM...347 million died in the days leading to chaos day. Anyone can clarify?

Certain groups might also be expected to have been less likely to succumb due to precautions or protection, including Justice Dept themselves, the isolated or well-defended rich, and well-organised Citi-Defs or the sharper criminal gangs. 

Could be argued that they would be the worse affected, given their proximity to weapons both large and small, see CF vs Pete Wells blocks  :D
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 September, 2013, 11:54:01 AM...see CF vs Pete Wells blocks  :D

Aye, when losers fight, there are no winners.

I, Cosh

Surely the inside of a cube was tge safest place to be, so convicted perps should be in higher supply.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 September, 2013, 06:30:59 PM
Surely the inside of a cube was tge safest place to be, so convicted perps should be in higher supply.

But if all available Judges were on the streets fighting, or dead, who would feed and water them? I bet the Iso-cubes are full of loads of perps who starved to death. Unless Dredd decided to drown them all again.

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 September, 2013, 06:45:29 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 23 September, 2013, 06:30:59 PM

But if all available Judges were on the streets fighting, or dead, who would feed and water them? I bet the Iso-cubes are full of loads of perps who starved to death.

Interesting!  While we've read about escapes during Chaos Day, I'd assume that this was the main result of the likely undermanning.   The worst of the disaster takes place over a week, maybe a fortnight (after that the bug victims will be dead), and the judges have the foresight and man/robotpower to protect essential utilities throughout.  I don't think there was much danger of the perps starving.

Also, although it's possible iso-blocks were overrun by hordes of bug victims I can't really see it.  Those places are pretty secure, unless you're a Dark Judge or PJ Maybe.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 September, 2013, 06:45:29 PMUnless Dredd decided to drown them all again.

That. Never. Happened. 

Even thinking about that scene just brings home how completely Morrisllar misunderstood the character. 

The Enigmatic Dr X

SHAME ON YOU ALL!

This question has already been asked -but never answered - in one of the Greatest Threads of All Time!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,21095.0.html
Lock up your spoons!

redstellini

EXACTLY! Never. Answered. I want to know how many people are residing in Mega-City One as of the day after Chaos Day. That is my one true question. Apocalypse War was 30 years ago, Necropolis was a few years after, which would give the big meg enough time to repopulate, I'm sure. So the question stands: Mega-City One, population number?

Frank

Quote from: redstellini on 23 September, 2013, 09:56:23 PM
EXACTLY! Never. Answered. I want to know how many people are residing in Mega-City One as of the day after Chaos Day. That is my one true question. Apocalypse War was 30 years ago, Necropolis was a few years after, which would give the big meg enough time to repopulate, I'm sure. So the question stands: Mega-City One, population number?

It told you at the time (40 million) and the inside page of the comic tells you how many folks there are living in MC1 every week. It's up to 50 million now.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: redstellini on 23 September, 2013, 09:56:23 PM

Look, you can't just ask what the population is. How do you define it? Do you include Gribligs? Have you done the Space Maths over the repopulation rates for x million cits? Allowing for mutants?

You might as well ask how old Dredd is and be done with it.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

He hasn't even said whether he's including those not previously counted as iinhabut now having taken advantage of the depopulation and judicially mandated consolidation of housing to seek shelter and opportunity within the former limits of the city..
We never really die.

Bat King

With PSU gone there could be hundreds of thousands of survivors popping up all the time...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

redstellini

My question has been answered. So wow, the big meg has been reduced to almost nothing in comparison.