Main Menu

Battle Classics Volume 2 - Fighting Mann and War Dog

Started by Tjm86, 24 August, 2016, 07:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Once again Titan have done us proud and this has been well worth the wait.  A cracking showcase of Kennedy's work (with support from Mike Western).  On the production front, Titan have ditched the dust cover in favour of the European style printed hardback.  Since I don't have volume 1 (although I am now seriously tempted) this is not kicking in the shelving OCD.  Ennis gives an intro to the volume in general and each story in particular.  I have to agree with his contention that there is a lot of filler in Battle that hasn't aged particularly well.  The policy of cherry picking the best is by far the more sensible strategy. 

Titan have also done a pretty good job on the repro front.  One or two pages look a little 'muddy' but for the most part the images are crisp and clear, benefiting from the superior paper quality to the original.  Artwork is clear and detailed and shows off Kennedy's obsessive technical detail.

The story itself stands up well considering the age.  Ennis notes some of the flaw in the introduction but by and large it reads well.  It is clear why it has been considered for inclusion and justly so.  If Titan are going to be both selective in their choice and attentive to detail in their production then there is a lot to be said for long gaps between volumes (volume 1, 2014).

Hawkmumbler

I've enjoyed everything Titan have reprinted from Battle, with particular highlights being Charleys War and Major Eazy (Rat Pack was...OK) and the admittedly very badly aged despite being enormous fun Darkies Mob. I've bean meaning to nab the Ennis Presents... volumes for awhile so will be buying this ASAP.

Magnetica

Have to say I prefer the printed covers on the hardbacks I have (e.g Dan Dare, Cursed Earth uncensored, Mek Files etc) rather than a dust cover (e.g Art of Judge Dredd).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2016, 03:53:19 PM
I've enjoyed everything Titan have reprinted from Battle, with particular highlights being Charleys War and Major Eazy (Rat Pack was...OK) and the admittedly very badly aged despite being enormous fun Darkies Mob. I've bean meaning to nab the Ennis Presents... volumes for awhile so will be buying this ASAP.

Yep as have I. Just finished this their last volume (I think) Titan did a great job and this volume is a perfect showcase for the variety of material Battle had. Both stories in this volume are roaming epics in the Hebden style - in the latter case maybe not in page count but I'll get to that. Fighting Mann is really an astonish showcase for Cam Kennedy's art. So rich and dense and here the blacks so deep, the production values Titan us really serve the material well. What I find most fascintating is the difference in style when Cam Kennedy so perfectly capture miltary equipment, particularly planes. Series he has almost Ian Kennedy levels of prescision mixed with energy. His combat action of course has his loose kinetic punch and his characters are so gritty.

Hebden's story is a roaming meandering wonder in much the same vain as Meltdown Man and in my heart - if not my head its Mann that gets blown into the world of the Yujees in its ridulous nuclear ending.

But if War Dog that makes you marvel the most. An utterly silly story of one dogs journey across half the battle fields of the second World War in just 40ish pages its as daft and fun as it sounds.

Get this if you can.

karlos

I would love to know if Titan have any plans to more lovely Battle stuff out - it's been 4 years since Johnny Red vol 4!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: karlos on 20 May, 2020, 11:29:07 AM
I would love to know if Titan have any plans to more lovely Battle stuff out - it's been 4 years since Johnny Red vol 4!

Suspect not as Rebellion have the rights now. Such a shame that we didn't get any more Johnny Red but hopefully one day Rebellion will get to it, though suspect it'll be a long way down the list since its been out relatively recently.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2020, 09:08:27 PM
His combat action of course has his loose kinetic punch and his characters are so gritty.

No one can render a steely gaze quite like Cam.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 May, 2020, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2020, 09:08:27 PM
His combat action of course has his loose kinetic punch and his characters are so gritty.

No one can render a steely gaze quite like Cam.

Well that's what I meant - that - perfectly put Jim.