Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Does anyone remember a Calhab Justice one-off, where a Brit-Cit transfer judge in Glascal is bullied and harassed until he [spoiler]finally snaps and murders a citizen for dropping litter[/spoiler]? 
One local judge calls it [spoiler]'madness', while another says something like 'Naw, no' madness.  I'll gie ye anither guess[/spoiler]'.

It's only a small thing, but it's baffled me ever since.  If [spoiler]flying into a homicidal rage[/spoiler] isn't madness, what exactly is it? 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

A.Cow

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2016, 10:49:09 PM
It's only a small thing, but it's baffled me ever since.  If [spoiler]flying into a homicidal rage[/spoiler] isn't madness, what exactly is it?

PMT?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Maybe he just turned Scotch.  Why can't you Scotches be peaceful and sober like what we, the Mick,
are?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

Here's one that's still going over my head... I've been re-reading Harry Twenty on the High Rock, and I get most of the jokes with the inmates' surnames and sentence lengths e.g. Svede Sixteen, Root Sixty Six etc.

But 'Genghis Eighteen' still escapes me. It sounds like it must be a pun. If it is, it's so obvious I'm missing it.

Dash Decent

We have a disinfectant spray in Australia called "Glen 20" (Click!).  All through my teenage years, whenever I heard it mentioned on an ad on the telly, I always thought of Harry on the High Rock and how this Glen bloke must be serving a sentence up there too.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

norton canes

I've just realised I've written 'Svede' instead of 'Swede'. 

Trout

Walking the streets of Toronto at 1 am, a thought popped into my head.

Kreelman = cruel man.

Why did I never notice that before? Gagh!

sheridan

I hadn't seen Alien when Varks first ran, and the funny thing about things that you read that contain pop cultural references is that when you become aware of the thing that's being referenced you can have a blank spot when re-reading the original and not make that connection.

That's why I only just noticed today that Sigourney Bean bears a striking resemblance to Ripley in a not-entirely un-xenomorphic tale of genetically metamorphosing aliens in the Meg.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 03 September, 2016, 10:29:54 PM
I hadn't seen Alien when Varks first ran, and the funny thing about things that yo
That's why I only just noticed today that Sigourney Bean bears a striking resemblance to Ripley in a not-entirely un-xenomorphic tale of genetically metamorphosing aliens in the Meg.

Extra marks for noting that Sigourney Bean sounds more than a bit like Sawney Bean, mass cannibal/average Scot.

ZenArcade

Genghis 18. Now you've got me. Genghis Khan was a pretty nasty piece of work who depopulated large parts of Northern China; Central Asia and Russia. 18 - numbers to letters - AH - Adolf Hitler a pretty nasty piece of work who denuded Eastern Europe and western Russia of millions of people?  I am most probably waaay off the mark mind you. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Spikes

I'd never have twigged on this possible meaning, if you hadn't of posted. But certainly sounds like it could be plausible.

I first recall this 'numbers to letters' way of doing things from scumbag groups like Combat 18.
Which, just checking Wikipedia, formed in the early 90's. I guess this way of doing things was around a lot longer than that.

Leigh S

Ace Garps pointy head being inspired by the actual shape of an ace?  Not sure if this is true, but it would make sense and it only just struck me as likely/possible

Proudhuff

The tool generally referred to as a Dofore, will in fact Do For the job  headslap
DDT did a job on me

Tony Angelino

I had a friend, when I was a kid, who always talked about Doctor and Quinch.

It's not really an example of something going over your head. I suppose it was more a case of him not reading the strip title correctly.