Main Menu

AUGUST ART COMP - DREDD'S DEAD, BABY, DREDD'S DEAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 August, 2016, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

After narrowly avoiding a "Summer Offensive" theme July's winner Adrian Bamforth has plumped for something rather topical:

QuoteTHE DEATH OF DREDD.

The eldster isn't getting any younger. He's beaten more perps than you've sold hot cakes but one of the real narrative thrills of Dredd is the real-time element. As we sag, Dredd sags and one of these days you can be certain he'll go the way of all flesh. So how will he meet his untimely demise? Choking on a hottie? Dog vulture? Mutant potato? In a hail of bullets or just tripping over? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WEAR YOUR BOOTS SO TIGHT, DREDD?!

There will be a GN straight from the nerve centre for the winner of course, and one for Tharg's Choice - and there will also be a bonafide 2000 AD droid choosing their favourite entries! All entries will be viewable here, on our dedicated FB page, and also on the official 2000 AD Tumblr and Twitter!

Rules for the art comp are these:

- It must fit the theme.

- You can enter as many times as you like but bear in mind it will split your vote so it may not be worth it.

- All entries have to be constructed specifically for this competition - so nothing you've done for anything else.

- You can enter either here or by directly putting it on our FB wall here: https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp/

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 28TH OF AUGUST WHEN WE SHALL JOIN THE VOTING CHOIR INVISIBLE

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 August, 2016, 09:50:48 PM
Was this the theme once before?

Sort of. We did "Final Days" - Death of 2000 AD Characters in September 2012 and although Dredd featured heavily I think this is meant to dovetail with discussions had about it recently.

Goaty

Never enter those art comps on here but I am game!

Is it 2000AD cover or just full page image?

CrazyFoxMachine

Andy Lambert

Professor Bear

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 01 August, 2016, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 August, 2016, 09:50:48 PM
Was this the theme once before?

Sort of. We did "Final Days" - Death of 2000 AD Characters in September 2012 and although Dredd featured heavily I think this is meant to dovetail with discussions had about it recently.

The one I'm thinking of had an entry where Nicolai Dante's doctor tells him he has AIDS - begging the question if was this a theme more than once?

CrazyFoxMachine

Correct. You might be referring to This Is the End, Beautiful Friend... from August 2008 which is from the Jim era and as such I don't have a record of it being a theme - although in the 2012 dead character thread I mention people being annoyed that it's been a theme before. Perhaps it was you then as well  :-\ WE'RE JUST TWO LOST SOULS SWIMMING IN A FISH BOWL.

YEAR AFTER YEAR.

Either way - this is distinct enough for me being as the previous two (!) times this has come up in the last ten years it was more a multi-character type thing.

Jim_Campbell

CFM is correct... the 'This Is The End' comp wasn't specifically death-themed, but was just about the final episode/page/panel of your favourite strip. Admittedly, there was a LOT of death, but that wasn't the actual theme...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

"The Jim Era."

We don't talk about the Dark Times. I'm looking forward to this. As the only thing I could think of is photo of a Judge Dredd figure in a pile of tomato sauce (or ketchup for our American friends), then I will - as ever - be a passive observer.
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

I am cleverly maneuvering the conversation around to getting the board to question its TERRIBLE OBSESSION WITH AGING AND DEATH.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Albion

Sorry to post again but I wasn't happy with the panel boxes (or any of it really!), but here it is again in a slightly improved form......

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.