Started by rs_jr, 06 August, 2016, 03:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

'Best way to read Sinister Dexter'

Don't!  :thumbsup: Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

PsychoGoatee

Anzati

I'd love for SinDex to get  casefiles style reprint. I keep looking at the existing collections and I just can't bring myself to buy into a set with so many missing stories...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: ZenArcade on 09 August, 2016, 03:11:10 PM
'Best way to read Sinister Dexter'

Don't!  :thumbsup: Z
DON'T!!!! GO!!!! THEREEEEE!!!!!

Colin YNWA

Sigh - its a typical response to Sinister Dexter - there's always one (well more than one often) of the misguided. Still gives me an excuse to warm up my dancing feet... you remember my dancing feet don't you...

Hawkmumbler

Aye, I actually used to be a detractor for Sin/Dex. I don't think it was until the fairly recent Burns/Davis run that I came around to the series.

I, Cosh

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 09 August, 2016, 12:24:13 AM
Speaking of, since Barney at the moment covers just up to January 2015 (prog 1913), is there anywhere else that lists all Sinister Dexter's recent appearances?

TitleStartEndEp Cnt  Page Cnt
The Taking of the Michael  19511956630
Blank Ammo19611961110
Shady as FuntSci Fi '16  Sci Fi '16  15
We never really die.

TordelBack

Oh yeah, I absolutely hated Sinister Dexter - I used to cite it as one of the reasons I stopped reading the Prog, grouping it with crap like Outlaw as an example of 2000AD's slide to vacuous 'cool' series that lacked characters, ideas and substance. It was only with Downlode Tales that I began to appreciate its versatility and genuine wit, and shortly after the boys got back together I was a fan for life.. Catching up on much if what I had missedw was a revelation.  It's just so very sharp and simultaneously goofy, charmingly light and unremittingly brutal at the same time: two-handed, you might say.

jrdd

Bit late to this.. but thought I'd post the reading list I made (thanks to Barney) when I did a re-read recently - also noted where stories have been reprinted.

As others have said re-reading is definitely worth it, specially with the recent storyline concluding, which I think suffered in the prog from long gaps, but rattles along at a decent pace with barely a page wasted when re-read.

Really (rilly?) needs the case file treatment... please!

AlexF

Now that right there is a spreadsheet and a half! Well done that Squaxx, and thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see that 'Money Shots' bucked the trend of reprinting all the strips from a certain period, only to skip past a whole bunch of epsiodes before the latest floppy collection. Do readers just not want to buy SinDex reprints in big enough numbers, or is everyone holding out for the Case Files treatment..?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

On a sun drenched beach with a nice cool drink at your elbow

Klegg Bait

QuoteBest way to read sinister dexter?

From left to right!   :D

Grant Goggans

My take: it's a real roller coaster.  When Sinister Dexter is great, which it is but only very sporadically, it's amazing.  The nine episodes that John Burns did in 2013 aren't just my favorite episodes of the series, they're actually my favorite thing to appear in 2000 AD in the last five years.

But you have to go back to 2005 to find a peak anywhere near that high.  "...and death shall have no dumb minions" is also completely amazing.  It's one of my four or five favorite stories of that entire decade.

Between them?  Nothing I'm in a rush to read a third time.

I do dearly wish they'd start a proper reissue program in Case Files collections with everything.  The stories they skipped in the first three collections are annoyances.  The ones they skipped in Eurocrash is maddening.  Rebellion's collected editions program is otherwise perfect; I would really love to replace this infernal volume with Sin Dex: The Complete Case Files Volume 2.

TordelBack