Main Menu

The Steve Green Cover Version Thread.

Started by Pete Wells, 16 August, 2016, 07:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

So, I was listening to the wonderful Mega City Book Club podcast today with Eamonn and Steve Green. Steve mentioned that, while not financially viable, he'd love to see different artists go back and illustrate existing stories. He compared it to musical artists sometimes improving or giving a fresh version of existing songs, nowt wrong with the originals, but sometimes cover versions offer a different take.

So, who would you like to see doing what? My starters for ten, I'd love to see:

Ian Gibson on Nikolai Dante, his beautiful ladies and quirky style would have been amazing on either some of the lighter tales or the Lulu Romanov S&M style tales like the Cadre Infernal.
Dave Kendall does Necropolis, his horror stylings could really bring the horror of Death's masterwork. Thankfully we're kinda getting that in the excellent Tainted.
Similarly, Fraser Irving or Leigh Gallagher on City of the Damned could really add to this chilling tale.

Any more?

blackmocco

Aw man. I love this thread already.

With all due respect to the inimitable Bryan Talbot and his beautiful art, haven't we always wondered how Nemesis would have looked had Kev O'Neill hung around?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Colin YNWA

Great thread. For me it'd be

Colin Wilson does Flesh and Steve Yeowell Flesh Book 2.

Nowt wrong with the originals of course but I'd love to see these two greats have a go.

JOE SOAP

The Cursed Earth - Henry Flint (or any Dredd story really: The Robot Wars, The Day the Law Died,  The Apocalypse War).

hippynumber1

After the one cover he did, Nemesis by Bisley.

Pete Wells

Eamonn Clarke

Excellent idea from Steve and Pete.
Can I have a Colin Wilson ABC Warriors story?
And some King Carlos western action on Ichabod Azrael.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 16 August, 2016, 09:00:24 PM
And some King Carlos western action on Ichabod Azrael.

That would be EPIC.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Steve Green

Thanks,  I thought it was odd that films and music get covered/reimagined, but comics don't (as far as I'm aware)

There may be the odd little homage, but usually that recreates the original.

Spikes

Got to be Mr Flint to take us back into the Cursed Earth.

TordelBack

D'Israeli on Rogue Trooper (original Traitor General run).   
Colin MacNeill on Flesh Book 1
John Hicklenton on Slaine: The Horned God.
Neil Googe on Durham Red: Scarlet Cantos.
Carl Critchlow on Robo-Hunter: Day of the Droids.
Dave Kendall on Zombo (Series 1).

Fungus

Brian Bolland on Judge Dredd: In The Bath
D'Israeli on Nemesis (any book)
Belardinelli on Grey Area
Jose Ortiz on Tales of Deadworld
John Hicklenton on Judge Dredd: Necropolis

None will/can happen, of course...

Rio De Fideldo

John Ridgeway on Helltrekkers
Brendan McCarthy on Bad Company (Based on that Kano star scan he did)
Carlos Ezquerra Rogue Trooper
Steve Dillon Trial of Orlok

Frank

This is clearly what they should do for the 40th anniversary prog. The 20th anniversary issue (prog 1034) already tried getting contemporary artists to burlesque the launch line-up (in a separate supplement), so the 40th birthday issue could go prog 2.

I'd love Mike Carroll and Henry Flint to be given an entire 18 page supplement to create an expanded version of Judge Whitey (prog 2), in the same way Pat Mills and Paul Johnson turned The Return Of Rico (prog 30) into a three parter (progs 950-952).

Failing that, just do the same as the 20th anniversary supplement and use modern creators to recreate the prog 2 episodes:

- Edmund Bagwell* or Lee Carter's Invasion

- Pye Parr or Dave Kendall's* Flesh

- Fay Dalton or Leigh Gallagher's Mach 1

- Tiernan Trevallion or Tom Foster's Harlem Heroes

- INJ Culbard or D'Israeli's* Dan Dare (if the copyright holders won't play ball, rename it Dave Dare)

- Darren Douglas or Jake Lynch's Judge Whitey

- Cover: The Thing From Hell (Dan Dare), by Alex Ronald*

Actually, forget the modern creators - how historically apposite would it be to read John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's Judge Whitey? DO IT, THARG!

* All these may be pushing the definition of 'modern creator' to its limits. They're from the nineties, which is only recent in my mind ...

Pete Wells

I love this idea Butch! I'd completely forgot about that Prog 1 remake thingy, and I own one of Jason Brashill's Harlem Heroes pages!