Main Menu

Strip ID - Early 80's?

Started by mickarnshands, 19 August, 2016, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickarnshands

It was in 2000ad and was Satirical, Tharg was kinda taking the piss out of John Wagner (I think they referred to him by one of his Alias' - John Howard).  Only image I recall is Dredd's Eagle shoulder pad sprouting wings so he could fly out of trouble- this being an example of Droid Howard needing to take a break...or did I imagine it?

Steve Green

One of the Tharg stories - can't remember the name - possibly Tharg saves the Day

Drawn by Carlos, it's the development of the colour Alien Zoo Bolland strip where John writes himself into a corner and Dredd sprouts wings.

The story is framed as a football match, with Tharg as a referee.

Dandontdare

This was possibly my first experience of "meta" in comics- the story that the 'Howard' droid was failing to finish because he'd lost his thrill-power mojo and which Tharg had to step in to complete (whilst levitating upside down IIRC) was a story that had just appeared in one of the annuals, with no mention of these behind-the-scenes dramatics. The spoof version ended with Dredd whimpering at the top of a flagpole. The actual story (as finished by Tharg)  had him handcuff giant alien through the nostrils. I think the credit card actually credited the writer as "John Howard & TMO"

Steve Green

Yeah, Tharg is co-credited in the alien zoo story.

While trying to find an image for the story I saw the cubicles with a sign on Pat's saying 'on the phone'

Which in the light of the future shock documentary, made me smile.

Since this was 1980, guessing this would be around the time he started writing with Alan?

I thought the Aggro Dome might have been the first Wagner/Grant story, but it's under Alvin Gaunt, which is a Grant/Gosnell partnership.

http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/judge-dredd-aggro-dome.html

mickarnshands

Thanks.  Anyone know exactly where it appeared so I can check my collection?

Steve Green

mickarnshands

Steve Green

TordelBack

How is this forum supposed to uphold its reputation as a home for nasty elitist bullies with this sort of carry on?