Main Menu

I may get shot for this...

Started by marko10174, 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

When it comes to Dredd, it's either Carlos Ezquerra or Ron Smith. I struggle to put one ahead of the other because their styles are so different, but they're both definitive Dredd artists (as is Mike McMahon).

Much as I also like Bolland, I'll put '80s Barry Kitson ahead of him.

Regards,

Robin

Spikes

He's not called King Carlos for nowt!

marko10174

I don't know why I wrote CQ instead of CE, I did have a few glasses of wine last night so that might explain the error. My apologies, no disrespect intended. Thing is, I love the original Strontium dog run, and that's all Carlos Ezquerra, I just don't like the way he draws Dredd. After reading Dark justice, I just thought to myself "oh man, could you imagine if all the Dredd stories looked like this?" I really liked the art in Day of chaos as well, PJ Maybe looked great.

Magnetica

Quote from: marko10174 on 24 April, 2017, 10:45:36 AM

I don't know why I wrote CQ instead of CE, I did have a few glasses of wine last night so that might explain the error. My apologies, no disrespect intended. Thing is, I love the original Strontium dog run, and that's all Carlos Ezquerra, I just don't like the way he draws Dredd. After reading Dark justice, I just thought to myself "oh man, could you imagine if all the Dredd stories looked like this?" I really liked the art in Day of chaos as well, PJ Maybe looked great.

Yeah all the Dredd stories could look like Dark Justice.

It's just that you would only get 6 episodes every two years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 April, 2017, 11:07:15 PMvisual energy
Those two words are key for me in the majority of artists I place at the very top of my list. Colin MacNeil I like, but his work – like Bolland's and Fabry's – often feels a bit stiff. By comparison, Ezquerra, McMahon, Dillon (RIP) and Flint, to name but four, have that kind of dynamism that really sucks me into the story. The only time I didn't like Ezquerra much was during those periods when he initially grappled with digital colouring. I used to love his lurid slabs of colour in the painterly days, but the weird digital stuff was just off-putting. Still, that at least showcased an artist still willing to try new things, and he soon enough became a master of that particular medium as well.

But like Dave Kendall noted earlier, art is subjective, and I can see why people prefer a cleaner illustrative style. (You also have people on here who rally against McMahon's more recent work, because it's not 'realistic' enough, despite every frame having more energy and oomph than most artists manage to pack into an entire episode.)

Andy Lambert

Carlos, humble chap that he is, would probably agree with you with regards to Bolland and co. - when I met him at the 40th anniversary event, he said he wished he could draw in a cleaner style.
But Carlos' artwork is distinctive, instantly recognisable and is synonymous with Judge Dredd and has others have mentioned, he's still drawing for 2000ad 40 years later and that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Echidna

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2017, 10:47:14 PM
Carlos is a great story teller. I can't recall any of his stories where it wasn't clear what was going on - the story flows beautifully with him.

Ezquerra is an acquired taste for many, but you have to admire his visual storytelling and sheer energy. Like Magnetica says, when you look at a Carlos page you immediately understand what's happening. That's pretty much the essence of a great comics artist.

Suede1971

Quote from: Echidna on 24 April, 2017, 12:56:22 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2017, 10:47:14 PM
Carlos is a great story teller. I can't recall any of his stories where it wasn't clear what was going on - the story flows beautifully with him.

Ezquerra is an acquired taste for many, but you have to admire his visual storytelling and sheer energy. Like Magnetica says, when you look at a Carlos page you immediately understand what's happening. That's pretty much the essence of a great comics artist.

I find it easy to imagine his stuff in motion too, if you know what i mean.

Prob my fave Dredd artist.

Tony Angelino

Quote from: marko10174 on 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

but I'm not a fan of Carlos Ezquerras art work on Judge Dredd. Compared to the the beautiful work of Greg Staples, or Nick Percival's incredible art work on "Good night kiss" CQ just doesn't cut it.

Probably the most controversial statement ever on this board. I've only become vaguely familiar with Nick Percival through the Mega Collection.  He also drew Sleaze N Ryder. I'm not a fan.

I like Carlos on Dredd although I don't put him at the top of the 'Big 4' Dredd artists. With me being old I do associate Carlos more with Strontium Dog and his work on Battle (Rat Pack, Major Eazy).

sheridan

ZenArcade

Ohhhhh, I've been busy for a few weeks and I come back to this blasphemy!!! Z*

*mind you as Dave Kendall said, he's entitled to his opinion.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Fungus

Quote from: Robin Low on 24 April, 2017, 06:49:16 AM

I can get that Carlos isn't everyone's favourite (and the ubiquitous 'King' title isn't going to endear him to non-believers!), but the Barry Kitson love expressed above (and I've seen it elsewhere) is the opinion that twists my melon  :o  Better than Brian ?!
His Megazine montage anniversary cover recently was frankly poor, the opposite of dynamic... Maybe I'm missing something.

And Carlos is great. Prolific and great.

Robin Low

Quote from: Fungus on 24 April, 2017, 05:09:35 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 24 April, 2017, 06:49:16 AM

I can get that Carlos isn't everyone's favourite (and the ubiquitous 'King' title isn't going to endear him to non-believers!), but the Barry Kitson love expressed above (and I've seen it elsewhere) is the opinion that twists my melon  :o  Better than Brian ?!
His Megazine montage anniversary cover recently was frankly poor, the opposite of dynamic... Maybe I'm missing something.

I did say '80s Kitson.

Regards,

Robin

Tony Angelino

While I wouldn't say he was better than Bolland, if memory serves Barry Kitson came along at a time when a lot of the big names had departed to the US.

He had a clean, anatomically correct art style which I think the prog needed then. I would definitely put him above the painted Bisley clone art that was to come.

Goaty

That is dumb thread question!

And Carlos is the masterpiece, he did amazing long series such as Apocalypse War and Origins.