Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Cheers Supersufer, I shall be plundering Leigh's blog!

Exciting news on the Blog front! When I started the thing there were a few artists I had in mind who's work I'd absolutely love to see on there. One of them was certainly Clint Langley, I adore his work and particularly wanted to see his ABC Warriors covers in all their glory. I contacted him today and he sent a lovely reply saying he'll sort 'em out for me - woohoo! To tide me over, he sent the Gongbeater wraparound from Prog 1638 which I've just uploaded...

Pete Wells

Thanks to Henry Flint for sending me his Zombo cover and Frazer Irving for his Buttonman 4 covers!

Go check 'em out guys!

Dark Jimbo

Wow, this blog is turning into a fantastic resource. Awesome work, Pete.

And it reminds of the thread a wee while back about a big 2k covers book. If it was a cover per page, totally free of text and stuff as per the blog, on lovely glossy paper, I'd snap it up. You tend to forget how many great covers there are after 1600+ issues.
@jamesfeistdraws

SuperSurfer

Yup. Loving the blog. Looking forward to seeing more.

Dylan Teague has some stunning stuff here with amazing step by step images:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dylanteague/CoversAndIllos#5329150105398459922

Pete Wells

Cheers Jimbo and Supersurfer,

Great find for those Dylan Teague images SS, I had some of those so it's great to grab the ones I'd missed! I was absolutely chuffed today as Nick Percival had stumbled across the blog, contacted me out of the blue and sent HUGE versions of his covers. What a guy!

I'm absolutely loving doing the blog and have so much I'm dying to show but things are hectic at the moment so I'm updating every time I get a spare coupla minutes.

Thanks for all the kind words folksguys, keep watching! Oh, and if anyone has any other images they wanna share, please get in touch!

mygrimmbrother

Pete this blog is a real treasure trove. I'd heard of THAT Frank Miller cover, but never laid me peepers on it til now. Keep it up man! ;)

Pete Wells

Just popped those lovely Nick Percival covers up, feel free to go and drool!

COMMANDO FORCES

Those are superb Pete, especially when you click on them to blow them up, the detail :o

Kerrin

Excellent work Pete. A really well constructed blog with some real treasures.

Like Mr.Forces said there's great detail on those Percival pieces.

I've been having a trawl through all the links you've kindly posted as well. Frazer Irving has got a superb step by step blog entry on how he produces a page of art and he's also quite obviously demented to an admirable degree. Good lad.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 July, 2009, 08:34:44 PM
Cheers Supersufer, I shall be plundering Leigh's blog!

Exciting news on the Blog front! When I started the thing there were a few artists I had in mind who's work I'd absolutely love to see on there. One of them was certainly Clint Langley, I adore his work and particularly wanted to see his ABC Warriors covers in all their glory. I contacted him today and he sent a lovely reply saying he'll sort 'em out for me - woohoo! To tide me over, he sent the Gongbeater wraparound from Prog 1638 which I've just uploaded...

While I might not be Clint Langley's biggest fan I'm really looking forward to seeing how is work is 'constructed' for want of a better word.

Pete Wells

Sorry to keep spamming the board but I get excited! I've just updated the blog with some amazing Zarjaz and Dogbreath covers thanks to Bolt. So erm, 'Thanks to Bolt!'

TordelBack

Wow.  I hate to say it, but Tharg really screws up some of those images when he slaps his corporate paraphenalia all over them.  The Percival and Fraser ones are just outstanding, although it was naughty of you to put the Goddamn Dredd cover up for comparison.

Mike Gloady

This really is a hell of a blog.  Mainly because it's a GREAT idea.  But also because Pete Wells seems to have a knack for charming Tharg's droids and every last post is a pure, unadulterated joy.

It's not "spamming", Pete.  If we're reading this it's because we like what you're doing.  Keep it up sir.  Your fellow Squaxx salute you.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

Came across these the other day. Bit of a surprise. Classic 2000AD covers – by Robin Smith? Did a double take. I remember he was art editor of 2000AD and I recall an interesting tv documentary in which he was interviewed so understood that he would've been the guy commissioning cover art, but I had no idea that he would sketch cover roughs in such detail and then pass those on to the likes of Esquerra, Gibbons, Belardinelli etc to draw in their own style. I always assumed the designs of the covers were down to the artists. Perhaps artists are more involved in that way these days as I've seen cover roughs by the artists themselves – Frazer Irving's Dante covers come to mind. I'd be interested to know what the process is these days.

Check these out:

Robin Smith

Full size (bandwidth heavy):
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=115758&GSub=6918

Carlos Ezquerra:

Full size:
http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=339&Comic=2000ad

Robin Smith

Full size (bandwidth heavy):
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=109479&GSub=6918

Mick McMahon

Few more here:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=6918

Colin YNWA

Whats fascinating about that is subtle design decisions that make a massive decision in the cover. In Robin Smith the way Alpha's right arm is drawn it looks like he's drawing about to shot. Esquerra has lowered the arm slightly and all of a sudden the pose is much more rested, looking like if anything its after the action has finished. Good stuff.