Main Menu

Ian Kennedy back on the Prog: 1961 wraparound!

Started by ming, 02 December, 2015, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Is Ian Kennedy the most beloved 2000AD artist per 2000AD page drawn? Barney tells me it's 32 and 2 covers. And yet I get a huge thrill out of seeing his work will be in the Prog once again.

But of course it's his wider contribution to British comics - and his vast skill - that has earned him this level of affection from Squaxx dek Thargo.  For my money as a Dan Dare artist he's second only to Hampson (I know) and that's not even mentioning his war-comic genius in Commando, Warlord, Air Ace and the rest, where his gorgeous 'planes seemed to be a permanent fixture of my childhood.

Looking forward to getting my mitts on that cover!

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 December, 2015, 10:51:16 PM
Is Ian Kennedy the most beloved 2000AD artist per 2000AD page drawn? Barney tells me it's 32 and 2 covers. And yet I get a huge thrill out of seeing his work will be in the Prog once again.

But of course it's his wider contribution to British comics - and his vast skill - that has earned him this level of affection from Squaxx dek Thargo.
Is Barney including his Starlord pages in that?  2000AD-wise I can only think of one or two Dredds and a Future Shock (I think, where a jet fighter pilot turns out to be a horny devil?)

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 04 December, 2015, 01:49:03 AM

But of course it's his wider contribution to British comics - and his vast skill - that has earned him this level of affection from Squaxx dek Thargo.
Is Barney including his Starlord pages in that?  2000AD-wise I can only think of one or two Dredds and a Future Shock (I think, where a jet fighter pilot turns out to be a horny devil?)
Oh, missed out what I actually wanted to say - outside of the House of Tharg I still have a bunch of his Dan Dare's for 80s Eagle - probably more pages of that than his HoT stuff combined (even though it's only four pages per issue - albeit it all the colour pages).

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 04 December, 2015, 01:49:03 AM

No, no Star Lord stuff in that.  Ian also did a couple of Invasion and M.A.C.H.1 episodes for 2000AD alongside a solitary Dredd and one Future Shock (The Collector - one of my favourites).

I'd be interested in hearing how Ian came to get this cover gig after so many years away; I'd like to think that the contribution he did for my Project Sketchbook a couple of years back might have indirectly started the ball rolling towards this.  When I approached him about that he only had fairly dim memories of his 2000AD work (understandably given it was decades ago and a very small amount of work among decades' worth of comics output).  I sent him a bunch of reference material and this was the final result*...

Quote from: ming on 16 November, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

Ian Kennedy - Himmel!

* There's also a pencil prelim he sent for a recreation of the classic Prog 446 cover which was far too beautiful to be tucked away inside the pages of an A5 sketchbook.  I stare at the prelim daily; it's incredibly detailed, almost to the degree of finished artwork.

Colin YNWA

Yeah that's such a good point. Meshershmitts over Mega City 1 must be one of the most fondly remembered Dredds and he did such wonderful work on things like Dan Dare and in other titles. Its an absolute testament the man's distinctive style that he's had such an impact. So glad Tharg has honoured him with a festive cover (I assume its an honour always feel its like a badge of approval to artists to get one?)

jabish

This is just beautiful. I quite like the Bisley cover cos its just mad craic but I'm glad the subscribers are getting this one. Jesus Redondo & Ian Kennedy in the same prog. We are spoiled. 70s/80s style.