Main Menu

'Free' Megazine GN Suggestions

Started by radiator, 01 July, 2008, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

As has recently been confirmed - the 2000ad Extreme Edition is no more, and will be replaced by a 'free' graphic novel that will come bagged with every future copy of the Judge Dredd Megazine as of issue 276. The graphic novels will match the dimensions and design of the current Rebellion range, but will be thinner (approx 60-70pg, so no spine). The first of these will be Judge Dredd: The Jock Collection, followed by (apparently) Snow/Tiger with issue 277.

So taking into consideration the length of said graphic novels, what else do we want to see in their pages? I'm talking quality 2000ad/Megazine series, that are too niche in appeal for a 'proper' graphic novel launch, but are still worth another look.

Here's my suggestions (sorry its a little Dredd-biased):

Judge Dredd: The Peter Doherty Collection (including Justice 1, Slow Crime Day, Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart, Death of a Legend, Night School, Simp City and others).

Judge Dredd: The Mike McMahon Collection (including some of his early annual stories, Future Crimes, Howler, Shaggy's Big Shoot, Voices Off.

Judge Dredd: The Greg Staples Collection (including Dead Reckoning, Awayday, Mega City Way of Death, Class of '79 and others).

Judge Dredd featuring The Taxidermist (all three taxidermist stories, perhaps split over two volumes).

Judge Dredd: Bad Manners

Heavy Metal Dredd

I'd also like themed Dredd collections based around recurring characters like Slick Dickens, Mrs Gunderson/Quite Nice Bar, The Angel of Mercy, The Branch Moronian (Hottie House Siege), Bishop Desmond Snodgrass, Crazy Barry, Little Mo etc.

I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant

Mercy Heights Volumes 1 and 2

Tor Cyan

Strontium Dogs

It'd also be cool if they used this as a way of finishing up the graphic novel series which are currently in limbo:

Robo Hunter: Farewell My Billions

Judge Anderson: The Early Cases, Postcards from the Edge

Sinister Dexter: Downlode Tales/Eurocrash

Ideally I'd hope that the contents are kept varied every month, so as to not to get bogged down as the EE did with month after month of the same material.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "radiator"Judge Dredd: The Mike McMahon Collection (including some of his early annual stories, Future Crimes, Howler, Shaggy's Big Shoot, Voices Off.
Personally, I'd love for that to be a proper trade. McMahon's Dredd is one of the best, and his style has excitingly evolved over the years. This would be the one Dredd 'artist' trade that could hope to match the amazing Cam Kennedy one.

I agree with most of your other Dredd suggestions, although some of the other stuff I'm not too keen on. Frankly, I'd be happy to never see I Was a Teenage Tax Consultant again, and Mercy Heights was always a bit meh. (Now, more Medivac, I'd love to see, but that's almost certain to never happen.)

QuoteIt'd also be cool if they used this as a way of finishing up the graphic novel series which are currently in limbo:
How many pages is Farewell My Billions? I imagine that'd take several mini-trades. Anderson, on the other hand, would be an obvious choice, using a few of these trades to bridge the gap between the first proper trade and the Ranson-illustrated one (including The Random Man). Again, I'd prefer the complete Anderson in 'proper' trade form, but that looks unlikely to happen.

QuoteIdeally I'd hope that the contents are kept varied every month, so as to not to get bogged down as the EE did with month after month of the same material.
No more several-hundred-page sports stories, please!

radiator

My last post seemed to disapear, so apologies if this appears twice:

Also:

Mean Machine: Son of Mean

Durham Red: Island of the Damned/Deals/Night of the Hunters

Rogue Trooper: The War Machine

Balls Brothers (never read it - is it really as bad as everyone says?)

Atavar III

Judge Dredd: Fast Food

Chopper: Soul on Fire/Dead Mans' Curve

Chopper: Song of the Surfer

Mazeworld I-III

Missionary Man (Complete, or selected highlights, but just a volume every few months not all at once)

Hoagy

Wow.Was this in News?

I'd like to see, Raptaur and The complete Frazer Irving/Simping Detective, Lenny Zero, Bato Loco, LowLife and even Bix Barton.

Posting FIVER next week IP skint this one. Be assured it'll pop in the post when you most need it. :)
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Buttonman

I'd like to see a Dredd volume of one off stories that don't fall neatly into artist or theme catagories. Off the top of me head:

Zombies
And the wind cried
Slick Dickens
John Cassavetes is Dead
Wounded Knee (natch)
Russell Muscle
That one with the eagles eating the body parts
Twin Blocks
Snozzburns
Harry Snotter

Can you spot the deliferate mistooks?

radiator

Oh yeah, Raptaur, I was going to suggest that as well. There was a sequel wasn't there - in a Poster Prog or something..?

Theres also the Jim Baikie-illustrated Dredd that ran in the first few issues of the Megazine (Midnite's Children..?)

Dog Deever

Rats.
Now we'll never get to see Return to Armageddon.
I was hoping that would get the treatment that Meltdown Man got in Extreme. Can't see it being put in with the Meg, the length of it would prevent this and its too 'forgotten' to ever get a proper Graphic Novel. Seriously disappointing.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Krombasher"I'd like to see .. The complete Frazer Irving/Simping Detective, Lenny Zero, ... LowLife
With those forming parts of de-facto trades, I doubt this won't happen. Also, I seriously hope it won't—I'd be miffed at paying for a 64-page 'advert' for an existing trade that's already sitting on my shelf.

radiator

I'd also like to see:

Judge Dredd: Lawcon
Judge Dredd: Dead Ringer
Judge Dredd: The Three Amigos/Awakening of Angels would be an interesting, fairly obscure choice (though personally  I do actually own the Hamlyn edition)

Could someone remind me which Dredd strips Jock has illustrated. Off the top of my head, I can only think of: ...And the Shirley Temple of Doom, Crossing Ken Dodd, Ten Years(?), an episode of Dead Ringer and that scottish one from last year.

TordelBack

Judge Dredd: Lawcon

Didn't that just finish a few weeks ago?  Kerriste, I'm getting old...

radiator

worldshown

Lawcon was April to July 2001. And considering that these Megs are top of a pile I need to sort out, this shows how much tidying up I need to do.

Buddy

ukdane

Richard Elson collection, including Shadows.

Most of what's been mentioned I'd agree with, although there's a fair bot of it I'd rather see in TPB format.

On the whole, I think I'd rather wait to see how the first few oan out, before judging and prejudging what I want to see.
Cheers

-Daney

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: "radiator"Oh yeah, Raptaur, I was going to suggest that as well. There was a sequel wasn't there - in a Poster Prog or something..?

1995 Mega-special

mazeworld I-III and Cannon Fodder I-II