Main Menu

'Free' Megazine GN Suggestions

Started by radiator, 01 July, 2008, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: radiator on 28 September, 2012, 04:40:33 PM
QuoteHave any of the Rogue Trooper Friday strips ever been reprinted?

Yes - the original series War Machine, which was reprinted in two volumes a few years back.

I'll have to keep my eye out for a copy of that then.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Dead Signal and a second series wouldn't go amiss either. 

The Adventurer

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy_Block on 29 September, 2012, 10:23:11 PM
Dead Signal and a second series wouldn't go amiss either. 
I second that emotion.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'd still love for Return to Armageddon to be a Meg floppie.
Lock up your spoons!

Richard

Do Rebellion own everything from Starlord, or only the strips/characters which appeared in 2000AD?
The reason I ask is because Mindwars was excellent and would I think still stand up today if reprinted.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Richard on 30 September, 2012, 04:03:03 PM
Do Rebellion own everything from Starlord, or only the strips/characters which appeared in 2000AD?
The reason I ask is because Mindwars was excellent and would I think still stand up today if reprinted.

I think the rule is that if a comic merged with 2k at any point, then Rebellion automatically owns the rights to all material that featured in said comic, however long the lifespan. So yes, I think they do.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 September, 2012, 04:09:08 PM
Quote from: Richard on 30 September, 2012, 04:03:03 PM

I think the rule is that if a comic merged with 2k at any point, then Rebellion automatically owns the rights to all material that featured in said comic, however long the lifespan. So yes, I think they do.

I'm pretty sure the only characters that the rights got transferred to Rebellion are those that moved across to 2000ad. Keith (or someone?) stated as such here a while ago. So alas in this case no the rights are still with IPC (I believe), unless they have been sold on separately.

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, I've had a quick scroll through the archives and I think youre right. And most of the IPC stuff now seems to be owned by DC, which pretty much shoots ANY chance of their ever seeing the light of day down in flames. Fuckers.Their plan seems to be to buy the rights to every old British comics character, one by one, then consign them to a deep, dark basement and never allow them to see the light of day again.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Prodigal

When my interest in Brit comics started to re-surface last year I picked up Albion and was buried in a flood of old, beautiuful memories.

What a shame- it seems that the old characters are now forever gone.

On a plus note us old newbies cant go wrong on the megazine freebie.

maryanddavid

Egmont own Starlord, Tornado, Crisis, Earthside 8, Revolver, Expresso. The stories that transferrd to 2000ad like Stont, and Wolfie, are Rebellions, AFAIK :thumbsup:

Richard

How was that ever allowed to happen?

The Adventurer

What's exactly is Egmont? Are they a publisher? Are they still active?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

maryanddavid

IPC owned all of the above mentioned comics. They sold them on to Maxwell publishing which went bellyup, Fleetway was the merged with London Editions which did a lot of DC reprints, which was bought by one of the biggest publishers in the world Egmont.
Egmont based in Denmark are huge in Europe and Asia, Disney licenced comics are a big part of their output.

So Egmont ended up owing all of IPC comics new title output(plus buster) from the end on 1971 onward.

Egmont sold the Dan Dare and Eagle rights to the Dan Dare Corporation in the mid ninties.
Rebellion came looking to to a Strontium Dog computer Game and ended up buying the comic.

All the above if from memory, LARGE health warning, but its there abouts. It gets really confusing in the new Eagle, Dan Dare, there is stuff in there thatr copyright Rebellion, IPC Media(possibly) Egmont, and the DD Corp own the rest!

Dodsy

How about Dante 'The Courtship of Jena Makarov' and 'Tsar Wars Volume 1'?

If they are out of print and they have no intention to reprinting them wouldn't they do as one off's for the free GN? Would stop people like me moaning on about not being able to get my hands on a copy lol.
Twitter - @dodsy84