Main Menu

IDW Dredd Classics: The Dark Judges

Started by SmallBlueThing, 21 January, 2015, 06:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

#1 is out today,  I understand. And I Imagine big JB will be along any second to review it in his own inimitable Big Beary "John of Finland Margate" style,  but until then some questions to ease my mind:

How many issues are scheduled?
How's the colouring?
Are they still printing off the original layouts without re-editing them to fit the page? 
What's in #1?
And,  has a hardback been listed? 

The Apocalypse War singles were a washout for me,  but the hardback collection is bloody gorgeous and has pride of place on a shelf in my lounge. 

SBT

Apestrife

It being 5 issues long. What stories will it collect? Judge Death. Judge Death lives and the solo Anderson one?

Dash Decent

I've just read through the hardback collection of this over the weekend.  It looks great with colour, and of course Bolland's artwork is sensational throughout (Ewins & co aren't too shabby either!)  The drawing of Dredd and Anderson breaching the psi-shield at the start of part 4 is absolutely superb, though it is preceded in part 3 by the unintentionally hilarious image of Fear manually opening his helmet-gates.  I always imagine these as opening at a thought command from Fear; the idea of him having to play peekaboo with them, running up to people, opening them and shutting them again over and over strikes me as funny.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

I looked at a preview of this a while ago and it looked impressive. I'm tempted to n-tuple dip for the colour version based on what I've seen so far. (original progs, Titan, mega collection, Bolland collection, ... ) Be interesting to see the Ewins stuff in colour.

robert_ellis

Recolouring made me 'see' the artwork afresh again - although I love the b&w Titan versions. The Brett Ewins stuff is coloured in a more "pop-art" way rather than the airbrushed hues of the Bolland. All in all its great. The only quibble is that it's a different size to the apocalypse war book - they don't match. Really cool colouring & clean up IDW

Tjm86

So long as they didn't use the same cover artist.  I mean, for all the glorious artwork that Ezquerra has produced, the cover that was used was .... Well, not quite as bad as Jon Bogdanove but not far off.

radiator

Huh - I assumed that this would just collect the Bolland stuff, didn't realise it included the solo Anderson series. Might have to pick it up now.

Dash Decent

Here's a quick (& grotty) pic showing the colouring of the Ewins art.  You can get also see the Dark Judges book is a larger than the trades, so the art is a bit bigger.

Some of the shading is obscured by the gradients in the colouring doing the same job.

I like how the "KABAM" has been shifted from black to white text.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Hopefully this gives a better idea of the dimensions compared to Rebellion trades.  The books are aligned at the top and spine, so what you can see of the DJ hardcover is the difference in size.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Here's that hilarious image of Fear manually opening his helmet gates.  Just mentally replace his speech with "Peekaboo!"

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

And this is just some Bolland brilliance.

Mr Bolland is on the "Future Shock" documentary and says he'd like to illustrate a story again.  I hope Tharg got straight onto the blower and arranged something.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

You can see the fingers of Anderson's right hand in that picture as her arm is around Dredd.  You can't see any sign of Joe's left arm so I'm assuming is hand must be on her bum.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

..his hand...

Can we please have a Modify option that lasts for more than 0.001304 milliseconds?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 16 January, 2016, 11:50:42 PM
You can see the fingers of Anderson's right hand in that picture as her arm is around Dredd.  You can't see any sign of Joe's left arm so I'm assuming his hand must be on her bum.
Hence the look on her face...