Main Menu

GOLDTIGER

Started by matty_ae, 15 March, 2016, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Antonio Barreti is a genius and its high time 2000ad recognised the Italian master who influenced generations to come. I can't believe how close his characters came to appearing in Prog 1.

All this is of course utter tripe but GOLDTIGER is a very very funny fictional history of a comic strip that never was. I loved it. Especially the prose pages that bridged missing pages in the reprint.

I don't want to reveal to much but they've managed to blend reality and fiction by including references and quotes from some 2000ad stalwarts.

Well done for publishing this 2000ad.

BPP

Looking forward to picking this up. Looking forward to what the forum thinks too. As its 2000AD branded do the regulars (especially those that pick up both Prog and Meg) view it as part of the 2000AD canon?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

robprosser

I liked it well enough. Nicely put together and funny. Just not sure that it's 20 quid funny.

I, Cosh

Quote from: BPP on 15 March, 2016, 03:31:30 PM
Looking forward to picking this up. Looking forward to what the forum thinks too. As its 2000AD branded do the regulars (especially those that pick up both Prog and Meg) view it as part of the 2000AD canon?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the 2000AD canon." One of the great things about 2000AD is that the stories all exist in their own worlds [bugger off Robin] so, if it's published under the same imprint it's published under the same imprint.

In general, I'm a bit burned out on meta-textual stuff like this in all media. I used to find it marvelously clever and witty but, in recent years, it tends to do my box in and I adopt a knee-jerk assumption that it's a lazy excuse for not being able to come up with anything inherently interesting. I accept that this is completely unfair to the creators of any given work which I haven't actually read yet and Al Ewing's Christmas Dredd from a few years ago is a clear case of this assumption being wrong.

On the book itself, I'm torn. I've long been keen on the idea of Rebellion giving original GNs a try so I'd like it to succeed. Unfortunately, I haven't liked anything Guy Adams has written for the Prog (oh, that Max Normal story was alright I suppose) so I'm unlikely to splash out twenty quid for this.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: matty_ae on 15 March, 2016, 02:43:35 PM
Antonio Barreti is a genius and its high time 2000ad recognised the Italian master who influenced generations to come. I can't believe how close his characters came to appearing in Prog 1.

All this is of course utter tripe but GOLDTIGER is a very very funny fictional history of a comic strip that never was. I loved it. Especially the prose pages that bridged missing pages in the reprint.

I don't want to reveal to much but they've managed to blend reality and fiction by including references and quotes from some 2000ad stalwarts.

Well done for publishing this 2000ad.

Wait I'm confused - is that article in the Meg all made up then?

IndigoPrime

It's part of the narrative would be one way of putting it.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 March, 2016, 12:31:39 PM
Quote from: BPP on 15 March, 2016, 03:31:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the 2000AD canon." One of the great things about 2000AD is that the stories all exist in their own worlds [bugger off Robin] so, if it's published under the same imprint it's published under the same imprint.

In general, I'm a bit burned out on meta-textual stuff like this in all media. I used to find it marvelously clever and witty but, in recent years, it tends to do my box in and I adopt a knee-jerk assumption that it's a lazy excuse for not being able to come up with anything inherently interesting. I accept that this is completely unfair to the creators of any given work which I haven't actually read yet and Al Ewing's Christmas Dredd from a few years ago is a clear case of this assumption being wrong.

On the book itself, I'm torn. I've long been keen on the idea of Rebellion giving original GNs a try so I'd like it to succeed. Unfortunately, I haven't liked anything Guy Adams has written for the Prog (oh, that Max Normal story was alright I suppose) so I'm unlikely to splash out twenty quid for this.

This ^^^
Strangely enough Cosh has managed to put my mixed feelings and thoughts into a coherent argument, and that's without lending him a tenner...
DDT did a job on me

BPP

2000AD Cannon is a bit of a clusmy term but I guess what I mean is that I view the Meg and 2000AD as a combined body of work / required reading. A bit like the many who buy IDW from a complusion rather actual enjoyment. Does it make anyone more likely to buy it because it has the 2000AD badge on it rather than just be a Rebellion GN? It probably does to me (hello marketing men, milk me now) same was as I bought something like Xpresso simply because it had the 2000AD tag on it (not that I didn't enjoy it, it just tipped my hand so to speak).

Or to ask the question another way - would anyone have been more like to have bought Robbie Burns: Witch Hunter had it a 2000AD badge on it?

Spikes

I must admit, I do quite like the look of this. I see it's on the 2000ad shop, but will this be available at, say, Forbidden Planet?
Would like to take a butchers at it, before purchasing..

Magnetica

Personally I don't consider Goldtiger to be part of the 2000AD canon. It was created before 2000AD existed, it's not by any 2000AD writers or artists and it hasn't appeared in 2000AD, the brief feature in the current Meg not withstanding. But from what that showed, I'm actually not that interested.

Being published by Rebellion would make me more likely to buy something than I otherwise would be though.

maryanddavid

I get what BPP is saying, I will be picking it up. I see it as much part of 2000AD as Metalzoic or Scarlet Traces, in its 'sphere of influence' to use a bad phrase.

I like the premise and the look so Ill give it whirl.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 March, 2016, 11:23:15 PM
Personally I don't consider Goldtiger to be part of the 2000AD canon. It was created before 2000AD existed, it's not by any 2000AD writers or artists and it hasn't appeared in 2000AD

Was it created before 2000AD existed?  Isn't that just part of the made-up history of this whole newly-made old-looking comic, to pretend it's an artefact from the past when really it's like Gunheads (or whatever it was in that prog a few years back that had the orriginal 2000AD logo on it)?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Steve Green

It's all fictional.

Magnetica

Sorry if this a bit of a rant and at the risk of being accused of not getting the joke...

...the article in the Meg, the ads I have seen, the description on the 2000AD shop and other retailers' websites all imply that this a strip from the 60's that was never published until now. And it is all so plausible. At no point did I guess it was a spoof, and to to be a successful spoof, surely at some point it needs to be clear it is a spoof. I only realised what it was after Dash Decent's post and a quick internet search.

Or to look at it another way, if I had bought it on the basis that it was a long lost classic that was now being presented, only to find out it was actually nothing of the sort, I might, just possibly be a little bit miffed. Especially if it is actually by an author I don't particular like - it's ok if he has retrieved the original, reformatted it and added text notes explaining the origin, quite another if he actually wrote it. Accuracy of product description , advertised standards and all that...but let's not go there.

Understanding what it actually is, gives a different spin of the question of whether it is in the 2000AD canon and I guess it is closer to being so. To me the more interesting question is why is it being published as a GN rather than being serialised in the Prog and the Meg? Is it:

a) because that is all just part of the conceit
b) because it isn't really reflective of what we get in the Prog or the Meg now
c) because it isn't actual that good
d) it will be serialised later.

I'm hoping it is a). 

BPP

Well this is all a furore!

From what I can remember is that it started as a kickstarter project, was reported as such with no meta-level stuff going on (ie it was 'by' two modern talents) and was a nostalgic re-imaginging of an old type of strip. Its pretty clear that it looks very close to something like Wally Woods 'Cannon'.  I imagine this is where to GN format was settled at.

Then Rebellion got involved and were stated as starting to publish their own line of GN with this work.

Then it went dark until the PR for this 2016 release came out.

Who knows when the 20000AD/Rebellion aspect got merged into it all, maybe it was, as Demon Nic puts it,  'ALL just cheese.'

Personally I don't really know why you'd get angry about being 'duped' by PR...  Did you enjoy it has to be the main criteria.