Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #1

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 November, 2012, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: Judge Jack on 24 November, 2012, 10:44:49 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 23 November, 2012, 09:35:49 PM
I presume all that ordered with Disposable Heroes must have theirs now

And five minutes ago, my lovely looking, but horribly expensive, Carlos variant (over two months in the waiting!) finally arrived  :thumbsup:

Such a fantastic cover.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Bolt-01

Gave in and downloaded this this afternoon (Comixology- so easy it is scary and I can use my phone) so I could see for myself what was the big deal.

For me it was okay- think it's a bit rough that the lead and the back up are so similar in theme, but overall they feel like Meg strips that are used to pad out an issue (not that Tharg pads anything out...) when he is light on content.

Hopefully it will last long enough to develop into something interesting.

Toni Scandella

Whoa.  I'm sorry to be negative, but... is this the general quality of American comics?  It is almost unreadable and a horrible introduction to the concept and character.  The art is OK in parts, the stories are not.

Leigh S

I've always been surprised at some of the art in American comics - I'm no expert in them, and have little interest in them for the most part, but I've seen some stuff that I wouldn't have thought would have passed muster over in the UK in the small press, let alone a "real" comic! But I imagine a diet of 80s 2000AD can give you a false perspective on the standard.

Still surprised to see that Gulacy wasnt a first time artist - a quick google search shows he'ss been round for yewars and theres certainly better looking art from him, if nothing that would make me think he was a good fit for Dredd.  Main problem here is though is editorial not actually stepping in to veto the Stallone costume!  You'd think they'd have some kind of style guide, or have thought ahead that this might be a problem for unfamiliar artists.

Spikes

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 November, 2012, 01:01:23 PM
Still surprised to see that Gulacy wasnt a first time artist

He's done plenty over the years, as you say.
Back when i was a Dark Horse Comics nut, he regularly popped up - Terminator, The Thing from Another World etc, and usually he continued the story after the original, and better, artist had moved on, which always irked me.
Which wasnt really his fault - i guess, but ive viewed his work unfavourably because of that. His earlier art is quite a lot different from the art he produced for Dredd, but still, not the best.
Looks like these 2nd stories are going to have a different artist with each installment?

Taryn Tailz

My review is now posted on Brit Cit Reviews, and I seem to have been a lot kinder than a lot of other people on here.  :lol:

http://britcitreviews.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/judge-dredd-idw-1/

The Adventurer

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 25 November, 2012, 11:23:27 AM
Whoa.  I'm sorry to be negative, but... is this the general quality of American comics?

Very NO! Just the general quality of IDW. With very few exceptions (Transformers: Regeneration-One, Lock & Key, and I hear Ghostbusters is actually pretty good) IDW is very shoddy in the contents department (but if you want variant covers, boy-howdy they've got you covered!). B-list writers, C-list artists. All they really have are their licenses, and some really good quality newspaper comic strip reprint hardcovers.

Otherwise US comics are rocking it right now (see pretty much anything from Image Comics at the moment)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dunk!

Brought a standard copy at the weekend.

Will wait for stellar reviews on a few places online, and maybe some recommendations on here, before I buy another copy.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 November, 2012, 08:17:07 AMAll they really have are their licenses, and some really good quality newspaper comic strip reprint hardcovers.

And they also publish pretty much whatever John Byrne wants to do. You may take that statement as you wish. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 November, 2012, 08:17:07 AMB-list writers, C-list artists
Curious design decisions, too, as the Transformers reprints show. The US ones appear to have had some kind of filter across every page or art, resulting in the US dot colouring being flattened, but the detail in the line work being obliterated. The UK reprints don't have that issue, but are bizarrely printed with a massive gutter around the existing UK page gutter. Bleurgh. It's a far cry from what the Rebellion chaps do, that's for sure. (In fact, even the worst 2000 AD trade repro I can think of—the first Devlin Waugh volume and the second Kingdom one—is better than those Transformers tomes.)

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2012, 09:28:49 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 November, 2012, 08:17:07 AMAll they really have are their licenses, and some really good quality newspaper comic strip reprint hardcovers.
And they also publish pretty much whatever John Byrne wants to do. You may take that statement as you wish.

Say what you like about ol' JB - and I notice that you have - but his old-school Star Trek books for IDW are great fun, especially compared to the current series based on the movie reboot that just recycles plots from various Trek over the years but does so in such a dour, joyless and witless fashion it makes you wonder if those making it even watched the film/Trek in general - or if they're just copying and pasting story ideas from a Trek episode guide on Wikipedia or something.  The last issue I read was doing a plot from Enterprise - and yes, you read that right.
Having checked out on Johnathan Hickman's banal and emotionless Fantastic Four, too, I begrudgingly admit I find Byrne's daft, willfully-dated and shameless F4 rip-off Trio to be a hoot - what old-school Marvel fan doesn't want to see Godzilla fight Galactus?

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2012, 09:28:49 AM
And they also publish pretty much whatever John Byrne wants to do.

Maybe thats because John Byrne is, perhaps, the best, and biggest name that they have.
If he hadnt burnt so many bridges, and pissed so many people off, over the years, people would rightly be praising him - for his art, at any rate.

I reckon we'll see some input on the Dredd series, from him, at some point.
Script by Wagner Art by Byrne, anyone?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 26 November, 2012, 06:28:56 PM
I reckon we'll see some input on the Dredd series, from him, at some point.
Script by Wagner Art by Byrne, anyone?

Considering his last effort on Dredd, I hope not.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 November, 2012, 06:29:53 PM
Considering his last effort on Dredd, I hope not.

Thankfully, I missed his scripting efforts for DC, but his art on the Summer Special all those years ago was a pretty creditable attempt at a character who seems to defeat many US artists...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spikes

Yeah, i wasnt aware he done owt for the DC line, until recently.
Though ive not really seen these, his scripting certainly isnt the best aspect of his talent.
But artwise, i cant see why anyone should object, if indeed they are.