Main Menu

Help a Poor Futsie Spend His Creds!

Started by Rogue Judge, 26 January, 2017, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I always think I don't like Sword and Sorcery but then I read Slaine (or Nemesis) and just forget that.

My opinion: early Slaine (up to end of Horned God) and Nemesis up to end of Bryan Talbot's run, are the very best things in the Prog ever. The first series of ABC Warrriors comes close.

After that none of them were ever as good again. Still worth reading, just not at the stellar level of before.

And yes Robusters is worth getting including the Starlord stuff. So go for the Nuts n Bolts hardback ( same style as the Mek Files hard back -including colour centre spreads).

I say all that as someone who is a massive Dredd and Stront fan.

Smith

Going a bit wider,we have Mazeworld.
And something of a personal favorite Ten-Seconders.Sadly,the final story has yet to be collected.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Smith on 31 January, 2017, 01:13:19 PM

A very good series on the whole, although I found the 3rd act probably the weakest part of the book.

Definitely worth a read!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 31 January, 2017, 06:21:52 AM
Magnetica, IndigoPrime, and Smith - Okay, you guys sold me on the ABC Warriors. I just ordered Volgan War v.1 from the webshop!  I'll definitely get the 1st Mek Files soon (are all three good?) and will consider Ro-Busters.
As I noted, it depends what kind of Mills you're into. Mek Files vol 1 compiles the earliest ABC Warriors. It's fun and brash, and not bogged down with where Mills subsequently went, but the first series is also of its time, in being a bit juvenile. By contrast, the Volgan War stuff is 'cinematic' modern proggage that also happens to ret-con a chunk of the original story. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Volgan War stuff at all – I find it quite dull. But then if you're coming at it new, it's not like a remastered re-run, and that freshness should help it.

As for the other Mek-Files volumes, none of them are bad, and the second one is quite inventive and weird. The third one veers into retread territory, but has some suitably energetic b+w art within. I'd still say the first volume's the best of them.

QuoteI looked around and was able to find volumes 2-4 of Volgan War as well and will get them as well if I enjoy volume one. On the webshop it also mentions ABC Warriors: Return to Earth, Return to Mars, and Return to Ro-Busters. Are these a continuation of the Volgan War (and worthwhile)?
The order in which the trades are shown in the shop are more or less following the continuity – such that it is – of the strip. But, yes, Return to Earth, Return to Mars, and Return to Ro-Busters follow on from the Volgan War volumes. If you enjoy those, you'll probably like the other books, too.

QuoteSlaine and Nemesis sound interesting (and I'm sure are very good) but I am hesitant as I'm not really into fantasy
As others have noted, Nemesis isn't so much fantasy and bonkers future weirdness. It's a mash-up of sword/sorcery/far-future/aliens/knackered old robots. And, honestly, those first few books are among the best things 2000 AD has run – they really are 2000 AD in many ways, to the equal of the best Dredd and Strontium Dog. Sláine is a bit different, in that it's mostly in more traditional sword/sorcery territory. The Warriors Dawn to Horned God run is very good, though, as is much of Book of Invasions through The Wanderer. But that first Nemesis collection is a must.

As for Leviathan, the 2000 AD store currently has copies.

Wordery also has stock.

norton canes

Thanks for all the Leviathan collection links!  :D

Rogue Judge

Quote from: NapalmKev on 31 January, 2017, 11:17:22 AM
My personal favourite regarding the A.B.C Warriors is Khronicals of Khaos. It's a mad tale with some fantastic artwork.

Cheers

Thanks for the input - I'm guessing this is collected in one of the Mek Files collections (seeing that it came out in the early 90's).

Quote from: Smith on 31 January, 2017, 01:13:19 PM
And something of a personal favorite Ten-Seconders.Sadly,the final story has yet to be collected.

The Ten-Seconders has caught my interest as well, but I suppose it might be worth waiting for the whole thing to be collected. I googled Mazeworld, sounds interesting...

Another one I am interested in is The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake). I haven't heard anyone mention it, but I really enjoy the western genera (One reason I enjoy Strontium Dog so much. Also, Tex and Rio are great western reads).

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 January, 2017, 02:15:35 PM
As I noted, it depends what kind of Mills you're into. Mek Files vol 1 compiles the earliest ABC Warriors. It's fun and brash, and not bogged down with where Mills subsequently went, but the first series is also of its time, in being a bit juvenile. By contrast, the Volgan War stuff is 'cinematic' modern proggage that also happens to ret-con a chunk of the original story. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Volgan War stuff at all – I find it quite dull. But then if you're coming at it new, it's not like a remastered re-run, and that freshness should help it.

As for the other Mek-Files volumes, none of them are bad, and the second one is quite inventive and weird. The third one veers into retread territory, but has some suitably energetic b+w art within. I'd still say the first volume's the best of them.

The order in which the trades are shown in the shop are more or less following the continuity – such that it is – of the strip. But, yes, Return to Earth, Return to Mars, and Return to Ro-Busters follow on from the Volgan War volumes. If you enjoy those, you'll probably like the other books, too.

As others have noted, Nemesis isn't so much fantasy and bonkers future weirdness. It's a mash-up of sword/sorcery/far-future/aliens/knackered old robots. And, honestly, those first few books are among the best things 2000 AD has run – they really are 2000 AD in many ways, to the equal of the best Dredd and Strontium Dog. Sláine is a bit different, in that it's mostly in more traditional sword/sorcery territory. The Warriors Dawn to Horned God run is very good, though, as is much of Book of Invasions through The Wanderer. But that first Nemesis collection is a must.

Thanks again for all the information. I read some reviews on the Volgan war online which are mostly very positive so I and am quite excited (I think the art is incredible!). As you said, I am coming at it with no previous history so will probably be able to enjoy it more. I'll tackle the Mek files in a bit too, they sound like they are all worthwhile, and three books isn't a strain.

I'll keep Slaine on the backburner for now, but you have piqued my curiosity about Nemesis. If I was to just get the Deviant edition (I do like the color option), does it collect most of the best stories and does it tie up most loose ends (does it feel like a self contained story without a big cliff hanger)?

Thanks again all!

Quote from: norton canes on 31 January, 2017, 02:21:26 PM
Thanks for all the Leviathan collection links!  :D

One more for you: Book Depository (its the cheapest by a few cents, with free shipping). The webshop is about the same price and Wordery is a buck more, but also with free shipping.

I ordered my copy from Chapters.ca (a Canadian big box bookstore) as I had a gift card to use up. They have slow delivery but that only builds anticipation...

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 January, 2017, 01:01:29 PM
And yes Robusters is worth getting including the Starlord stuff. So go for the Nuts n Bolts hardback ( same style as the Mek Files hard back -including colour centre spreads).

I say all that as someone who is a massive Dredd and Stront fan.

Sounds like we are into similar stuff (Stront/Dredd), so I will have to take your advice add add the Robusters hardbacks to my wish list. Cheers

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 31 January, 2017, 09:49:14 PMThanks for the input - I'm guessing this is collected in one of the Mek Files collections (seeing that it came out in the early 90's).
It's roughly half of the second hardback.

Quote from: Smith on 31 January, 2017, 01:13:19 PMAnother one I am interested in is The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake).
I really like that one. It goes a bit meta at one point, but the story and art throughout are rather good. Not top-tier 2000 AD, but a very solid read.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 January, 2017, 02:15:35 PMI'll keep Slaine on the backburner for now, but you have piqued my curiosity about Nemesis. If I was to just get the Deviant edition (I do like the color option), does it collect most of the best stories and does it tie up most loose ends (does it feel like a self contained story without a big cliff hanger)?
The problem with the Deviant edition is it collects the first three books, whereas The Complete vol 1 is books 1–4. So if you do like the run and want to continue, you're pretty much screwed with the Deviant edition.

As for self-contained... sort of. I'd say book four has the more satisfying conclusion than book three, again making The Complete the better buy in that regard. Relatively little is left dangling, although there are pointers to where the series would go next.

Rogue Judge

Thanks again for your feedback IndigoPrime. I will keep Nemesis on my list, but will go for the complete v.1 (like to said, that way if I like it I can get vol.2 and so on. Very logical).

Looking at the ABC Warriors, it appears that each volume (Return to Mars or Return to Ro-busters for example) is only released in hardback. The only Volgan war volumes available are softcover (which I ordered), but it would be bothersome (to me) if the other books are only available in hardback (makes for an inconsistent collection). I know Marvel often releases hardback versions of a book several months before releasing the softcover versions. Does Rebellion do this as well, or it it likely they will only release the HC versions?

Magnetica

For what it is worth when I bought the Volgan War books last year, vols 1, 2 and 3 were soft cover, whereas 4 was hardback.

Re Nemesis Deviant edition it is worth knowing that as well as colouring the art, Kev O'Neill has also changed some of the panel layouts, including redrawing some. There is a different mapping of what panels are on what page, and hence a slightly different page count.

The colouring is different to the original centre spreads in Book III.

As such I view it as "non definitive" although others have, on another thread, put forward the view that there is no definitive version.

As I recall it possibly also has different extra stories.

For me it is mainly for completists and as a newcomer I would definitely go for the standard vol1. Lack of colour centre spreads not withstanding it is some of the best art ever in 2000AD and was originally draw to be in black and white; the colouring adds little/ nothing/actively detracts. The Deviant edition ends after book III and so misses the Gothic Empire (book IV).

James Stacey

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 31 January, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
Another one I am interested in is The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake). I haven't heard anyone mention it, but I really enjoy the western genera (One reason I enjoy Strontium Dog so much. Also, Tex and Rio are great western reads).
Its a great strip but don't go into it expecting it to be a western. It really isn't. It goes sideways almost straight away :)

Tjm86

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 February, 2017, 02:41:46 PM
Re Nemesis Deviant edition ...

As I recall it possibly also has different extra stories.

It includes the poster prog story in addition to the early O'Neill and Redondo stuff.  Since this is quite a challenging item to obtain and so expensive for what it is, it is well worth it.  Personally went for the Termight edition with the signed postcards from messrs Mills and O'Neill. 

Rogue Judge

For what it is worth when I bought the Volgan War books last year, vols 1, 2 and 3 were soft cover, whereas 4 was hardback.

Oddly enough...this does make me feel better.

As long as they are the same size.

For me it is mainly for completists and as a newcomer I would definitely go for the standard vol1. Lack of colour centre spreads not withstanding it is some of the best art ever in 2000AD and was originally draw to be in black and white; the colouring adds little/ nothing/actively detracts. The Deviant edition ends after book III and so misses the Gothic Empire (book IV).

Right-O, I'll go for the standard v.1 as recommended. I really do appreciate B&W art (I sometimes wish certain Dredd stories were B&W - the early coloring sometimes detracts/muddies from the art). Also, Im not to sure how long one is considered a new comer. Ive been reading 2000AD about a year but am making up for lost time!

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 February, 2017, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 31 January, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
Its a great strip but don't go into it expecting it to be a western. It really isn't. It goes sideways almost straight away :)

I was curious enough to download the free preview from the webshop. From what I read it seems awesome! ([spoiler]Its not often the main character is killed in the first issue[/spoiler]). I like the transition from color to B&W as well, and would like to know what happens next. He seems like a irredeemable sort.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 February, 2017, 03:49:57 AMAs long as they are the same size.
I'm afraid not. The Sláine and ABC Warriors Volgan War hardbacks are quite large – about A4. The paperback editions are standard 2000 AD trade size. (Mek Files is a slightly different size again – a little oversized versus a standard trade. It's about 2cm taller.)

Rogue Judge

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 February, 2017, 10:51:35 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 February, 2017, 03:49:57 AMAs long as they are the same size.
I'm afraid not. The Sláine and ABC Warriors Volgan War hardbacks are quite large – about A4. The paperback editions are standard 2000 AD trade size. (Mek Files is a slightly different size again – a little oversized versus a standard trade. It's about 2cm taller.)

Stop the madness!!