Main Menu

What triggered my interest in Dredd, my first read.

Started by NewDredd, 16 February, 2017, 05:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewDredd

I left an introduction on the New Members board (thanks for the welcome) and I had an afterthought regarding what "triggered" me into this world as well.

I just received my Case Files 5 behemoth in the mail. LOL! And I'm already hooked at Crime File #1. Starting Crime File #2.

After Crime File is closed, there is still more beyond just that one Body Shark sting and Remington is so far untouchable and has a near endless chain of Body Shark fronts. Kind of makes you realize it never ends in Mega City One...that there's always SOMETHIN'. Never ending, regardless of the THE END at the ending of the Crime File.

A thread you start pulling on and keeps going. Mega City One = A can of worms that always keep opening up. I love it! It leaves things open ended and a yearning to read more.

Another thing that got me on this comic is the fact I had recently seen a Washington Post editorial referencing Trump channeling Nixon and later compared him to Judge Dredd. "It's not illegal if I'm the president." (Nixon said that in the clip.)

(Not meaning to turn this into a political discussion, but it's just things that happen in the real world tying into fictional works fascinates me)

The comic also reminds me of the 80s Robocop movie, loved it, too!

Also...it addresses the something that you may have experienced in an ethics lesson about stealing food if you don't have money to afford it to feed your family or the same when it comes to medicine that could save a loved on.

The whole innocence turned guilty thing is kind of sad as there are consequences to those actions for first time offenders.  I keep thinking, will Dredd cut him/her some slack?  Nope, but at least the husband got only 12 months for a minor crime conducted in lieu of the Body Shark sting.

Very engaging material thus far!

Tjm86

Quote from: NewDredd on 16 February, 2017, 05:55:28 PM

The comic also reminds me of the 80s Robocop movie, loved it, too!

Chortle!  For most of us it was the other way round, Robocop seemed like such a rip off of Dredd.  I have a passing recollection of an urban myth at the time that Robocop was originally meant to be the Dredd movie but it didn't pan out that way.  No idea if there was any truth to it.

As for real life imitating tooth, there's an entire thread dedicated to that elsewhere on the forum.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 16 February, 2017, 06:14:12 PM
Chortle!  For most of us it was the other way round, Robocop seemed like such a rip off of Dredd.  I have a passing recollection of an urban myth at the time that Robocop was originally meant to be the Dredd movie but it didn't pan out that way.  No idea if there was any truth to it.

Early sculpt for Robocop designs...

Safe to say that Ol' Joe wasn't very far from their minds when developing Robocop.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tjm86 on 16 February, 2017, 06:14:12 PMChortle!  For most of us it was the other way round, Robocop seemed like such a rip off of Dredd.  I have a passing recollection of an urban myth at the time that Robocop was originally meant to be the Dredd movie but it didn't pan out that way.  No idea if there was any truth to it.

There's a background tale of a tug-o-war for the rights between two parties - one who had them and one who wanted them - but when it boils down to it, yes, RoboCop was influenced by Judge Dredd and also American Flagg.

"I'm not a big fan of reading science fiction, I have tremendous trouble to read science fiction, which I think is always very heavy. I do not find it difficult to see science fiction comics. You know Robocop (1987) is obviously very much influenced by British comic Judge Dredd"- Paul Verhoeven

Tjm86

I can see the influence of American Flagg to be sure.  I never had read it at the time but managed to get a copy of the Image hardback a few years back.  No idea why I didn't look at it back in the day as it is far superior to a lot of the dross that was being churned out in the early eighties.

Thanks for that though.  Nice to know my memory wasn't completely off beam.

JOE SOAP

What's also interesting is the original sequel script to RoboCop - The Corporate Wars - went even further by finally copying the central conceit from Judge Dredd: a murdered then resurrected RoboCop is installed with a software that allows for instant sentencing called PlexJury - "PlexJury finds you guilty as charged. PlexJury sentences you to detoxification and twenty years hard labour."

It also combined the ideas of the Plex habitation/shopping centres from American Flagg with Mega-City 1 to establish a walled-off city-state amongst an urban wasteland. The same title "Plex" is used for these cities and there's a terrorist plot to "free" the city.