Main Menu

Prog 1953 - BODIES OF EVIDENCE

Started by Buttonman, 17 October, 2015, 10:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: Buttonman on 17 October, 2015, 10:11:33 AM

Is it just me, or is that supposed to be Johnny Vegas' mug shot on the top row?

Also, it's a great action scene with dredd grimly riding to (what?) on the cover, but doesn't really reflect what's happening in the story...

...I am aware that many of the covers on 2000AD don't always tie in with the story inside btw... this one just seemed odd as the story is more of a dark, brewing mystery rather than a vrooom vrooom! crash, bang wallop, kinda story...

Si

Mikey

Short and sweet review from me this week - the prog is simply perfect for me, all wrapped up in an absolutely lovely cover from Ryan Brown. Dredd takes the top spot, with Bad Company a very close second, but it's really first among equals. Plus an image of the 3A Lawmaster? Superb!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

wedgeski

God I love Ryan Brown's covers.

Excellent prog. I think Dredd could do with this kind of procedural thing a lot more often, it's such a showcase for good writers (or is that only good writers can pen a good procedural?). Either way, I'm frickin lovin' it.

Waiting for the Bad Company reveal with anticipation, and hoping that it cranks up a gear in the process. I think it's only okay.

ZenArcade

I'll go with Micky's recommend and eagerly await the prog tomorrow
Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

Dredd is superb, sublime, superlative! I adore a good dense Wagner procedural, and PJ into the bargain is just icing on the cake. Fautless.

Defoe is a great subtle slice of world-building this week - loved all the clockwork prosthetics among the Tyburn crowd and the Da Vinci-type flying machines in the sky. That first splash page is just a fantastic piece of design, and the Reverend Forest's 'creative' write-up of the condemned criminal's last moments was very funny.

Brass Sun chugs along well enough. I did groan a bit at the very polite, well-spoken baddie - almost self-parodically Edginton.

Sinister Dexter - Ho hum.

Bad Company is starting to meander a bit. Tommy's plight would be more than enough to get my teeth into normally, but I'm still champing at the bit to know just what's going on and this feels like another diversion. That said, it looks like we might be getting some answers next week...
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

I hope Bad Company turns out as good as Bad Company 2002
It's a joke. I was joking.

Apestrife

Love Dredd vs PJ. Fully packed 6 pages. Ep served as a good reminder that Maybe can be quite unpleasant. Him assaulting and killing a juve in sex doll make up made me pause for a bit.

I quite like Brass sun. Lots of imaginative stuff. Clock work universe still gets me.

Not sure what's going on in bad company, but I quite like the art.

Good prog!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 October, 2015, 05:52:54 PM
Love Dredd vs PJ. Fully packed 6 pages. Ep served as a good reminder that Maybe can be quite unpleasant. Him assaulting and killing a juve in sex doll make up made me pause for a bit.

I think Dredd considered that crime to be one of the possible serial serial killers', but then discounted it as it didn't fit the pattern of either serial-serial killer or PJ - just another red herring.

But giving a juve explosive chocolate just to to deliver a message could be described as "quite unpleasant"!

Magnetica

Almost perfect episodes of Dredd and Sinister Dexter this week. And its Wagner and Macneil on Dredd over in the Meg on the new Total War story. Just great. On a related note I am reading the Mega Collection Total War volume at the moment. I had forgotten the first story Terror, which is Wagner and Macneil again. Loved seeing Dredd working with Logan back then - I hadn't really noticed him until Day of Chaos, but there he was back then. Nice.

But Terror did make me pine from Macneil's lush fully painted work....I know.... it takes ages and the new style is much quicker...but even so. Stop that - when thought about rationally, give me the new style regularly over the old style once every few years anytime. And Macneil's layouts are just so clear and make the story just flow brilliantly.

Anyway, back to this week's Dredd, was it just me who thinks [spoiler]98 = 9 and 8 = 9 +8 = 17 = 1 and 7= 1+7 = 8[/spoiler] was just a tad tenuous?

Haven't read anything else yet, but so far, just marvellous.

Apestrife

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 October, 2015, 06:08:47 PM

I think Dredd considered that crime to be one of the possible serial serial killers', but then discounted it as it didn't fit the pattern of either serial-serial killer or PJ - just another red herring.

But giving a juve explosive chocolate just to to deliver a message could be described as "quite unpleasant"!

Re read it now. It's probably as you said. Also, PJ has been into sex mecks since an early age right, least until he married Strepsil (Whom he seemed to at least fancy to some degree). Still the assault -even if a red herring- quite got me. As did the blowing up a kid with a chocolate bar.

When I think of it. Quite the testament to McNeil, that his -IMO- quite cartoony art style works so well with material like this. Same goes with his work on America, Tour of duty and Day of chaos.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 October, 2015, 06:29:53 PM
Anyway, back to this week's Dredd, was it just me who thinks [spoiler]98 = 9 and 8 = 9 +8 = 17 = 1 and 7= 1+7 = 8[/spoiler] was just a tad tenuous?

That's an established thing in numerology. Yes, it's tenuous, but people buy into that shit.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Plus, you know. Serials killers are generally illogical (or at least excessive) by nature.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 October, 2015, 10:11:51 AM
Plus, you know. Serials killers are generally illogical (or at least excessive) by nature.

And what seems random and senseless violence to us often has a secret meaning of symbolism and pattern to them.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Golly, that SinDex was pretty fantastic. Something about Goddard's 'realistic' style and the crisp cold efficiency of the lads really synched this week.  Squeezing in that much action, advancing the plot, and returning to the framing investigation was a remarkable feat. Although I'm not sure going by the name 'Moses Tanenbaum' and hanging out a giant yacht in a marina is really in the spirit of witness protection...

Dredd mildly worried me this week: surely that's not all we're going to get on PJ's escape from the DJs - a quick re-run of 'Wot I did during Necropolis'?  Otherwise a great episode, and at least we now know for sure that the letters are from PJ.

Bad Company continues to intrigue, with particularly glorious art this week, and I love the twist in Defoe: the Bishop is rewriting the confessions to his own purpose, and thus the apparently repentant hanged are anything but.

Hawkmumbler

I'm somewhat doubtful he managed to get away unscathed. Either physically or psychologically, having the four Dark Judges manifest before you is going to leave some scaring, even for a hardened murderer like Maybe.