Main Menu

Prog 1953 - BODIES OF EVIDENCE

Started by Buttonman, 17 October, 2015, 10:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 24 October, 2015, 03:28:19 PM
Sin/Dex trades went off the deep end and never returned after a certain point. I'm sure Colin or one of the several Sin/Dex apologists will be along soon to correct me.

Aw man, why'd you have to say that,  it's way too early in the day to be exposed to that kind of dancing.

SinDex trades are indeed a mess, and don't come close to the current storyline,  but they are all worth reading - grab as many as you can find, plus the Meg reprints of Downlode Tales,  and just enjoy!

Luckily it really doesn't matter, there's nothing much you need to know: Moses Tannenbaum is a version of deceased crimeboss from a different dimension and his interdimensional presence threatens the fabric of the univerese. He's currently in a witness protection programme on Generica, another planet that parodies America (as opposed to Downlode's parody of Europe), as are the two lads and Dex's ex-cop ladyfriend Tracy Weld, who have tracked him down and are planning to kill him (?) and save the universe.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 October, 2015, 04:13:29 PM
Moses Tannenbaum is a version of deceased crimeboss from a different dimension and his interdimensional presence threatens the fabric of the univerese...

Although you wouldn't know it to actually read the strip, and that's part of the problem for me. We've been told that Moses threatens the stability of the Universe and seen sod-all evidence of it - and given that he's been dicking about in this universe for ten years(!)* now without any sign of the universe ending, I daresay say the boys could probably just find something better to do with their lives. There's an interesting story to be told there, and Abnett is resolutely not telling it.

*Assuming that strip-time follows real-time.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

I could be wrong here, but wasn't the universe sort-of imploding in the latter part of War of the Moses sequence, with all kinds of random madness and such?  Currently Moses' alleged universe-destroying properties are a pure and simple maguffin to move the boys out of their Witness-Protection lives and out across Generica, with about as much direct bearing on the week to-week plot as the 2T(Fru)-T virus had to The Cursed Earth.  It might not even be true! 

Sinister Dexter is a strip about two self-involved murderers-for-hire quipping their way through a pun-filled universe that seems an awful lot like 1990s-2010s Earth, it's not really high-concept SF.   

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 October, 2015, 04:22:33 PM
We've been told that Moses threatens the stability of the Universe and seen sod-all evidence of it - and given that he's been dicking about in this universe for ten years(!)* now without any sign of the universe ending, I daresay say the boys could probably just find something better to do with their lives. There's an interesting story to be told there, and Abnett is resolutely not telling it

You're usually one of the sharp tacks round here, James. Why can't you see that two supporting characters - Ali Heels and Woody Fougery - turning up with names that aren't groan inducing puns represents a grave threat to the integrity of the fictional universe?

Other metafictional signifiers will herald the breakdown of the Abnettverse.  Maybe he had plans for the divisions between panel borders to start breaking down or for characters to grab hold of speech bubbles and stab each other with the pointy bits, but Rob Williams and Ichabod have ruined that for everyone else.

MacNeil drawing a fatty seems like another first, following his debut Anderson, but that opening page of Defoe steals this week's art honours.

TordelBack

In fairness, everyone calls her Kitten.

Magnetica

Thanks for the replies on numerology. I think the board is at its best when you can get a different view on a story that you hadn't thought of.

I had been looking at it from a purely mathematical point of view, and had been of the opinion that one step of "split and numbers and add" to get 8 was fine, but two was ridiculous. But that was on the assumption that given enough steps you could get to 8 with pretty much anything. Having tried it I can say it is actually not the case.

It also occurs to me that it doesn't matter whether numerology is nonsense or not, it is enough that the Judges understand that the killer believes it. In fact it doesn't even need to be that, as I suspect what is going on is PJ inventing all the other killers just to play a game with the Judges and he is adding the numerology aspect on purpose, and that he doesn't actually believe it - he just understands that there are people out there who do.

(Hope that's not too rambling - or stating the obvious  :lol:).

Spikes

Just when you think MacNeil's art cant get any better...
Simply glorious stuff on this run of Dredd.

Though, as others have said, some of the content made me pause.....

Tiplodocus

Loving it all.

Dredd manages the clever trick of whipping you along on a fun romp to catch a serial killer but reminds you at ghe same time that it's not a fun romp.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!