Main Menu

PROG 1955 the all seeing eye

Started by janus stark, 30 October, 2015, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janus stark

thanks postie for the second week running prog has arrived on a Friday.
haven't read yet , anoher lovely Jake  lynch cover.
DREDD one off from Carroll/Marshall
all other stories continue
and I know this is important to some of you, but 3 letters on letter page.

Darren Stephens

Mines just arrived, too. Lovely cover, that.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Eamonn Clarke

It is indeed lovely, but that looks like a ridiculously tough game of Frogger

Timothy

Showing your age there. Kids today would see it as Crossy Road, Daddio.

Proudhuff

I do wonder why they call it a review thread?... anyway

Nice cover very reminiscent of Ron Smith possibly?

Nerve Centre: big push on Molch-r's ABC, and why not? The big film/tv review continues in Damage Report.

Dredd: A fine story by the Car-rolled crash-test droid, let down a wee bit (unusually) by Ms Parkhouse slightly out of kilter balloon placement, strange how when this misfires how it can trip up a story. On a purely personal point of choice I like my MC1 a bit more grubby and run down, especailly post DoC.

Defoe: gets its teeth into the story proper, could really have started from here without the previous couple o weeks, but who would tell that to Pat?

Brass Sun, Nice unexpected twists and turns to the tale, excellent.

Sin/Dex, only back to reading this cause Rich says so, and it is the best its been for a while, but how would I know as I tend to skip it :crazy: Telegraphed big surprise coming?

Bad Company now has me hooked, Artwork and story cracking alone at a fair lick, Top Proggage!

and three wordy letters with the Tharg-threat of Dreams of Dullworld returning :(

DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

mejustnow

Stunning prog.
Dredd was disarmingly sweet.
Defoe finds another gear.
I actually liked Sinister Dexter!!!!!!!!
Brass Sun justifies the narrative jump between the last book and this.
Bad Company doesn't just fund another gear, it invents one. This is the reason 2000AD is peerless amongst mere comics.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Tjm86

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 October, 2015, 11:40:58 AM
A fine story by the Car-rolled crash-test droid,

That nearly ended up in the 'things that went over my head' thread!   ::)

On the cover front, I did have a chuckle over the nod to the illustrious Mr Kennedy in the graffiti.

I would have to agree on Brass Sun.  This series seems to be picking up nicely now and shaping up into one of the strengths of the prog.  Defoe?  not sure yet.  As you say, up until now it really hasn't offered owt to make it worth the effort.  Perhaps moving forward we'll see something worth sitting up for.

I'm going to hold judgement on Bad Company until the end.  I'm not a massive fan of Mr Dayglo's art and considering the shoes he has to fill, to quote from Blackadder, I have to admire his balls. 

Colin YNWA

Well I don't normally talk about the cover but that is a fine one. Something Jim Baikiesque about Dredd there or is that just me? On top of that so much movement in the cars, not quite sure how Jake Lynch has done that, I'm thinking its in the colours? Either way astonishingly effect and just a very well crafted piece of work.

Alas the Dredd inside isn't so much. Strange I'm a big fan of the Carroll Dredd so was a little disappointed this felt ... flat... I could pick holes in the plot but that's not the big problem, the whole story felt a littled too muted and staged. Not a fan of this one.

Defoe had an up week, I've stopped trying to work out the ups and downs of this story and I'll just enjoy it when I enjoy it and gripe when it dips. Whatever happens I suspect it  will end up being by far by favourite Defoe tale to date.

Brass Sun and Sinister Dexter are both on consistently supreme form, okay so S&D having a chat with Moses while the battle blazed was all a bit 60s and 70s Marvel but it served a purpose for the story so I'll let it pass. Brass Sun was absolutely faultless.

Bad Company is continually building and engaging lovin' it but this week I found the art a little loose in places, not something I've noticed before and it might, might be more to do with Jim McCarthy's inking rather than Dayglo's pencils but in a few panels it was weak and pulled me out the story. Otherwise a fine part to a great story.

Eamonn Clarke

Dredd. I like the Carroll Marshall partnership on Dredd. A neat self contained tale

Defoe. I've been waiting to find out more about the Vizards so looking forward to this

Brass Sun. I still love it. An new AI emerges to rival Merlin

Sin Dex. Loved it. Not quite sure what's happening to Moses though.

Bad Company. I need a better understanding of the original BC nefore I can comment

overall a top prog and excellent saturday reading in between scooping pumpkins

SIP

Bad Company has me completely baffled........and not in a good way I think. Am i being completely dense? I hope for some kind of enlightenment at the end of it.

Geoff

Seems I'm the odd one out, but I really don't like the cover. Dredd and especially the bike don't look right to me and the traffic in the background is very simplistic to my eye..

Anyway, I enjoyed the Dredd tale (although not really liking the art) it was a neat and rather sweet tale. These strips are part of what makes Dredd such a special strip.  These single episode strips can be funny, moving, whimsical etc and can be amongst the best Dredds.

Brass Sun seems to be hotting up and I even enjoyed the old funtsters.

The first two volumes of Bad Company are up there with the very best of 2000ad.  Despite the best will in the world, I'm rather baffled by this incarnation.  I like looking at the strip and I like that Bad Company is in the prog, but it should be more than that.   

Pretty enjoyable prog then, but with a few niggles.

Richard

Does anyone else's cover have weird pixellated red lines on it, or is it just me? They don't seem to be on the cover in the pic above. I'd post a photo but it won't let me.

Richard

Actually I couldn't see them in the picture on my iphone but I can just make them out on a laptop, so I assume everyone's looks like that. I think they spoil the picture and look like they're not meant to be there but were a guide for the artist which he then forgot to remove. Maybe.