Main Menu

Prog 1956 - Criminal Damage

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 07 November, 2015, 11:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

A fine prog, just glad those perps never turned the Liquefier on Dredd  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Minkyboy

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 November, 2015, 09:42:58 PM

Ha, point!
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 November, 2015, 09:42:58 PM

Michael Carroll / Nick Dyer thought of that - the liquifier was too big to get into the bunker (without having widened the hole further).

robert_ellis

Great Dredd in the perfect tradition of an Annual story. All other stories were great - although my patience is wearing thin with Bad Company. I'm not sure anything's happened except they've all come off their meds. I was hoping for a Jacob's ladder style mashup up of reality & fiction - I'm loving the art but I don't feel the characters have any depth. Peter Milligan has been perfect at this stuff in the past, so maybe it'll all come together.

Magnetica

Another good Prog. I am going to stop short of calling it great though.

Cover - really good by what I get the impression is an artist who is not highly rated in some quarters, which I don't get; he has always done nice stuff IMO.

Dredd - another great example of how to do a one off. Really glad this wasn't stretched out to two or three parts, which it could have been. Some nice ideas (e.g. Judge's way-station) but let's face it, it was all about that last panel.

Defoe - I am enjoying this more than I have ever before, both the story and the art.

Brass Sun - I am starting to worry about this strip. It seems to be dragging on and at the current rate of progress, and what 10 episodes a year it seems like it is going to take another ten years to get to the point.

SinDex - this has been a really great story. Great art too.  Looks like it is back to business as usual back in Downlode after this. There are a couple of things I don't understand about this week's episode:

(i) if the boys identities have been wiped, shouldn't the scanner have said "identify unknown"?
(ii) if their identities haven't been wiped shouldn't the scanner have said the identities they were given by the witness protection service?

Either way I don't understand how it could come up with their real names. But I will trust in Dan Abnett who can do no wrong in my book.

Bad Company - this is beginning to remind me of 1990s post Horned God Slaine.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 November, 2015, 07:25:51 PM
There are a couple of things I don't understand about this week's episode:

(i) if the boys identities have been wiped, shouldn't the scanner have said "identify unknown"?
(ii) if their identities haven't been wiped shouldn't the scanner have said the identities they were given by the witness protection service?

Either way I don't understand how it could come up with their real names. But I will trust in Dan Abnett who can do no wrong in my book.

The way I read it, if Moses didn't exist, everything that S&D have done since meeting him would be wiped - he was their first employer, so whilst they were not erased as individuals, their career as gunsharks has been deleted.

Dandontdare

actually, I've just been considering that a bit more - if this was alt-Moses that got deleted, they should still have a record for all the hits they did for true-Moses back before he was killed.  :-\

DrJomster

The last two Dredds scripted by the Carroll droid have been just excellent! Nick Dyer's art is getting better and better too.

In fact, the whole prog's on a bit of a roll actually!

And yes, that is a lovely cover. Roll on next week!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Spikes

Not had chance to read the rest but a cracking Dredd one-off this week.

IronGraham

I think what happen in SinDex is that the blast caused by Moses' death has sent them to an alternate reality. Because they we're on the run from witsec but in this new one they aren't and probably never enter witsec, tho I hope Dex picked his wife up before leaving for Downlode :lol:
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

An excellent prog, loved everything about it.

A brilliantly ingenius Dredd and prime material for a one-and-done. Nick Dyer continues to impress.

Bad Company is just the damndest thing, i'm sure come the conclusion all the pieces will fall into place, Peter Milligan has rarely dissapointed me, but by heck is it a mystery to me just whats going on. Rufus is just the best though.

Sin/Dex has actually been really enjoyable this time around, and nice to see the Moses arc wrapped up once and for all. I hope.

Brass Sun trundles along doing it's own thing and quite delightfully so. However since reading the HC with the first three parts together I must say it reads better in one go.

And Defoe is marvelous satirical nonsense from Mills and Gallagher. Quite, quite brilliant and mad.

TordelBack

Quote from: IronGraham on 12 November, 2015, 10:07:35 AM
I think what happen in SinDex is that the blast caused by Moses' death has sent them to an alternate reality. Because they we're on the run from witsec but in this new one they aren't and probably never enter witsec, tho I hope Dex picked his wife up before leaving for Downlode :lol:

Really enjoyed this story, but yeah, it's not like there aren't loose ends to deal with on Generica, even if only to discover this isn't their Generica.  For such a nicely paced tale the end felt, nay was, rushed.  If I was to hazard a guess based on the cops' invesgigation, I'd say Ray and Finny have been erased from their own universe (killed even) and are now in a different one, possibly one where the Mover ( for it was him they killed  this time, having already dealt with 'our' Moses, and his clone Apellido) had never made the trip. Certainly there is no Tracy Weld or Wozzername waiting for them back up the road a ways. And what about Missy, Kal, Billi, Rocky... Maybe even Demi?

I suspect celebrations for the end of this arc (was it really an arc?) are premature, there are a lot of hanging mysteries and repercussions.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 November, 2015, 12:23:16 PM
I suspect celebrations for the end of this arc (was it really an arc?) are premature, there are a lot of hanging mysteries and repercussions.

Yeah I'd tend to agree this is a strong possibility. I think its pretty clear we're not meant to know exactly what happened, just as our 'heroes' don't. If (and its a big if) this story has been designed to move things on from the Moses stuff I have a feeling, and its not more than that, that that's been done by stiffing Sinister Dexter not by truly resolving the story line. I think, and as ever I'm so often wrong about these things, but I think when our gun sharks land in Downlode again things will start to become clear and it won't be their Downlode they land in.

TordelBack

Which a usingly would make them the very threat to that universe that the Mover was to theirs.  It also imples that Moses knew more about the situation than they did - and that killing him (if they even did) was not the solution they believed it to be. In fact, there might even be some interesting hints in his remark last week that he kept hiring them. Maybe that Moses wasn't even the same version of the Mover, or maybe the boys weren't even in their own universe since they returned from chasing Miss Deeds... No wonder Charon went mental.

mejustnow

Whatever the answer, one thing is for sure: Sinister Dexter is set to remain in the prog for better or worse. (Hint: worse)
SMUSHY PEAS!!!