Main Menu

Prog 1957 - A Crash Course in Mega-City Law Enforcement!

Started by IronGraham, 13 November, 2015, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 November, 2015, 06:49:08 PM
I wasn't really trying to comment on the consistency or otherwise of Bad Company as a whole, just the reference to the Hawkin Shift and sub light travel.

Don't mind my witterings, Magnetica, I'm in a crotchety frame of mind.  Work seems endless this week (because it is - can't remember the last day I had off) and dull as feck, so I'm subconsciously picking arguments to pass the time.

Magnetica

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

M.I.K.

Hawkin Shift

It's Hawkins, with an 's', which I thought might be a reference to the main character from Treasure Island.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: M.I.K. on 20 November, 2015, 02:26:26 AM
Hawkin Shift

It's Hawkins, with an 's', which I thought might be a reference to the main character from Treasure Island.

One does black holes, the other does black spots.  ;)

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Starkers

Good prog but not great. I liked Dredd but it wasn't as strong a standalone as the previous two weeks IMO.

Defoe was good, I'm liking that Mills is showing us a 17th century take on superheroes and the artwork's great.

Brass sun trundles along. Is it just me who has trouble figuring out who's who at times?

Bad Company, I have no idea what's going on anymore!

Terror Tales, seemed a bit of a waste of space if I'm honest, six pages spent on a slender tale that could have been told in half the page count (or less) and the twist seemed to come out of nowhere, there's no indication in what we'd seen that the protagonist was anything other than shit scared of a monster coming to get him. This might have been easier to get past if the story hadn't taken so long to get to the payoff.

Magnetica

Quote from: Starkers on 20 November, 2015, 09:59:22 AM
Brass sun trundles along. Is it just me who has trouble figuring out who's who at times?

No it's not. I know what you mean. I had to do a double take on who was who in the fight between Septimus and the other engineer.

Starkers

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 November, 2015, 06:35:16 PM
Quote from: Starkers on 20 November, 2015, 09:59:22 AM

No it's not. I know what you mean. I had to do a double take on who was who in the fight between Septimus and the other engineer.

It does get a bit Alien 3 at times!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 November, 2015, 06:35:16 PM
I had to do a double take on who was who in the fight between Septimus and the other engineer.

Septimus is the one with the electric tampon crossbow.

Not a great prog for me, The Dredd didn't quite ring true somehow, but wasn't bad. Defoe has never been a favourite, but I'm quite enjoying this run. Brass Sun does seem to pootle along rather slowly, and I'm not a huge fan of the art. The Terror Tale was the highlight of the prog (and it's not often I get to say that) - an oddly haunting story and truly beautiful artwork. As for Bad Company, I think 8 or 9 weeks is more than enough leeway to give a story a chance, but frankly it's all a bit pants.

So a bit of dip in prog quality for me, I'll just have to hang on till some of my favourites roll around again.

Dandontdare

actually, I meant to post that in the 1598 thread, but most of the comments are still valid, except the next Dredd is much better than this marathon one.

Hawkmumbler

The runner Dredd is an odd one. It didn't really add anything to the mythos of MC1, nor did it feel character centric. It was an enjoyable little tale and Karl Richardson knocks it out of the park again, but still felt a little....flat.

Defoe, Brass Sun, and Bad Company all do their thing and i'm enjoying them all equally. The Terror Tale was also a pleasent surprise. Didn't see that coming!