Main Menu

Prog 1959 - Beat Cop!

Started by user2000, 28 November, 2015, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user2000

Is everyone suffering from a Black Friday hangover?

Anyway, usual excellent Cliff Robinson cover, not had time to peruse the prog yet as I am still reeling from Thargs missive this week where he tells us about "THE 100-PAGE PROG 1961"....

And there it would appear is the 16 year old question answered!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, shouldn't prog 2000 really be moved back 15 issues now?  We all knew the xmas progs were really just regular issues and now it seems they are to be.

I've having a flashback to when prog 520 was the 10th birthday issue!!

user2000

Arrggghh, can someone change my title to the correct prog please, my brain is not functioning properly with all this prog numbering business.

:-[

ZenArcade

Man that's some damn fine Cliff Robinson work. Good to see his work, as ever. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Behind a glorious cover is a pretty damned glorious Prog.

Now you'd think a man not too impressed over the years with Defoe might struggle with a Prog with a double dose of that strip, especially when it treads firmly down paths that Pat Mills has not only gone down before but fair worn it to oblivion. So yeah its the weakest strip in here for those reasons BUT I'm still enjoying it so much more than before and its clicking with me in ways it never has. There's a lot going on, but maybe being able to wrap yourself in a Mills comfort blanket is the perfect balance in a Prog like this.

So what else have we got. A Dredd that doesn't even seem to be trying to hide its twist but is magnificent anyway and may have more up its sleeve, or may simply want to get the theme its using very directly. Brass Sun wraps up pretty safely and as we expected, with a nice little bit dropped at the end. Since this has been so magnificent to end as its been going is a thing of beauty.

Finally thrill of the week (and this won't be the case for many I suspect given previous reaction) is Bad Company. Its starting to pay off, its panning out and showing it hand as I expected (well almost) and there's more to come next week (which is a pleasent surprise) and I'm excited about what that will offer. Its been a slow burn but I think this strip will pay people who give it the time at the end and revisit it again what they want in spades. Superb.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Grand stuff.

Dredd: As noted above, unlikely that this is going any othger way than the obvious sting type story, but still very enjoyable with Goddard in usual good form.

Bad Company:  No surprises here either.  The krool where nice till we fucked them over, yeah, yeah.  Still unmoved by this strip overall.

Brass Sun: Good to know we get a break from this for a while.

Defoe: Week after week, my interest lessens.  Great art, but the tale itself just plods on, and I'm fining it hard to care for the fates of those involved.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Proudhuff

Cover: Fine cover.

Nerve Centre: Huzzah! the line up for the 100 page prog is a smasher, slapped wrists in Damage  report :o

Dredd: I was expecting Dredd to have been pulling a Wally squad person from that gang when he assaulted him, or was working on cracking OCD corruption, but neither seems to be the case, hopefully its not a straight forward as it seems?

Bad Company:  slowly coming to a climax, lucky beggers.

Brass Sun: A wee bit pissed off with this, as the whole arc of this series looks set to be rerun but with 3 baddies instead of one. I bought the 1st hardback of this series but on the strength of this it looks like it will run and run and never be resolved fully. Possibly another series to overstay its welcome. Yes I'm looking at you Sin/Dex.

Defoe: Marshall Law continues his fight against the superheroes, but the art isn't up to usual standard.
3/5.
DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 November, 2015, 07:37:01 PM

Finally thrill of the week (and this won't be the case for many I suspect given previous reaction) is Bad Company. Its starting to pay off, its panning out and showing it hand as I expected (well almost) and there's more to come next week (which is a pleasent surprise) and I'm excited about what that will offer. Its been a slow burn but I think this strip will pay people who give it the time at the end and revisit it again what they want in spades. Superb.

Nope, I'm with you too brother!

This series may have yet to reach the lofty heights of the original run back in Prog 500 (my Grud, has it really been that long?).
But the compelling characters and fantastic art absolutely justify it's inclusion in the Prog and I'm sure there are many other squax who feel the same way.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jacqusie

Fantastic cover by a much missed Cliff Robinson. When he does them these days, they still knock it out of the park & IMHO, is THE Dredd cover maestro.

The fan logo still has that off yellow/mustard background, but this week we can read the logo with some black lines at least...

Bad Company, I have decided is brilliant and I'm not that bothered none of it makes much sense, the artwork alone is fab. More please chaps...

Si

Apestrife

Dredd: While I don't think it'd be beyond Dredd to beat someone to death (least not under the "right" circumstances) I'm quite sure this is a sting or something. Would be cool if it kept to the ambiguity through out. As always with Wagner's Dredd, I really liked it. Interesting also to see such such story at the same time as Batman #44 as well ask Dark Knight III#1.

Bad Company: I'm still a bit in the dark on what's going on, but I think both I and the story are getting there. Wouldn't matter much if "we" didn't, since I really like the art and I like the weirdness of the whole ugly punky cyborgs with pdst thing.

Brass Sun: Perhaps not as wild as it started out as, but still quite good. I just the clockwork universe thing isn't over explained/cooked with cyber stuff and what not.

Defoe: Not every morning I read a comic where a headshot is accompanied with the words "I'll blow his rotten brains out. That should do it.". I'm not very invested in the character or this story, but it's an alright read me thinks. Quite entertaining!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Apestrife on 02 December, 2015, 07:20:34 AM
Defoe: Not every morning I read a comic where a headshot is accompanied with the words "I'll blow his rotten brains out. That should do it.".

Killing reeks is a busman's holiday for Titus.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Apestrife on 02 December, 2015, 07:20:34 AM
Dredd: While I don't think it'd be beyond Dredd to beat someone to death (least not under the "right" circumstances) I'm quite sure this is a sting or something. Would be cool if it kept to the ambiguity through out. As always with Wagner's Dredd, I really liked it. Interesting also to see such such story at the same time as Batman #44 as well ask Dark Knight III#1.
/quote]
Why, what's happening in DC-land?

Apestrife

Quote from: sheridan on 04 December, 2015, 01:57:12 AMWhy, what's happening in DC-land?

Both Batman #44 and Dark Knight III #1 have had police beating up as well as shooting innocent and unarmed people.

I'm intrigued to see how Judge Dredd and DKIII (Batman #44 was a solo issue) will handle the subject. Probably more interestingly than Rodney Ding in Judge Anderson ;)

Hawkmumbler

A very enjoyable Prog. Dredd is an entertaining yarn and stunningly illustrated by Goddard. Bad Company continues to intruige and Defoe is just OK.

Really excited for the return of Brass Sun now though, this has been the best run to date.

Dark Jimbo

Dredd intrigues.

Brass Sun just washes over me, on the whole. Not really a favourite, I must confess.

Bad Company has gone much the same way, it grieves me to say. I'm interested in the resolution for old time's sake, but I really think this thrill should be left to a quiet retirement after next week's conclusion. It's been a fun ride, but it's also been a forgettable one - and that's something Bad Company should never be (although at least it's not actively bad like the 2002 series).

Defoe packs an absurd amount of worldbuilding, character development and plot into the double episode - it's the polar opposite of the very decompressed Brass Sun (in art as well as plot). More Mungo makes me very happy - as fine a Pat Mills creation as there's ever been.

Not a prog to set the world on fire overall but kudos to Tharg's team for the lack of 'end of term' feel this year.
@jamesfeistdraws