Main Menu

Prog 1960 The Good, The Bad, The Psychotic!

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 05 December, 2015, 11:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Loved the "error of judgement" jaw-dropper in Dredd and then that final page reveal. Good stuff. Dredd is so good at the moment, I'm tempted to re-sub to the Meg.

I loved the first few episodes of Bad Company but for me it's really gone off the rails. Interminable build-up punctuated with terrible, leaden exposition. The comedy mayor this week was a mis-step as well. I love the art (and that cover, wow), but the writing has fallen short.

Defoe came to a satisfying conclusion, but I'm ready for something new in that slot.

Dandontdare

Nice bit of misdirection in Dredd - for a moment I really thought he'd done it. An odd misjudgement for him to make though - surely it would be easier and more reliable to fake a legitimate judicial shoot-out than a fatal beating.

Nice Terror Tale, but as has been mentioned, felt more like the 1st  part of a 3riller than a one-off.

Defoe is definitely growing on me. I think it was the zombie element that always put me off, but there's no reason why this can't continue without focussing on the reeks. Pat's political speeches in this episode , whilst not exactly subtle, were deeply satisfying, so I'd love to see Titus & Gallowglass lead a Leveller revolution. Do we know who's going to be the next artist? I'd love to see a Bryan Talbot Defoe, even if it's just a one-off.

Bad Company - total pants, biggest disappointment of 2015.

ming

Quote from: Geoff on 05 December, 2015, 11:32:26 PM
Great cover - would be great to have McCarthy back in the prog.. would a Dredd be too much to ask?

There'll be more McCarthy in (and on) the Prog in due course, I hear.  Dredd... yup.

Dark Jimbo

Dredd was fairly good, but this thriller never really grabbed me. Nothing wrong with it except it seemed to tread a plot and theme we've seen a hundred times before in Dredd. The perils of a 38-year publication history!

Well what a little treat the Terror Tale was! Baillie's story is a masterclass of economy and density, and Paul Marshall seems to revel in the chance to do something completely different to nornal and evoke the British horror comics of old.

Just as Bad Company more or less won me back on-side last week the stupid 'comedy' Mayor thing seals its fate. It's a moment that's totally at odds with the tone of previous stories. This latest outing - aimed squarely at an audience of adults - feels dumbed-down and fairly immature compared to the superlative original series, dark and literate as it was, yet written for an audience of children. (No rose-tinted glasses here - I read the original BC for the first time about ten years ago, when it was reprinted in the Megazine). Rufus's art (while excellent in and of itself) really hasn't helped on that score, giving the whole thing a sort of Beano vibe. I want so badly to enjoy this but I just haven't.

A great end to Leigh's final Defoe, even if Titus' constant harping on about pseudo-heroes has driven me to distraction. The politics make me wince a bit as well, but to his credit Pat does at least put his opinions almost entirely into the mouth of Titus - and that character probably would believe such partisan stuff, so even if I don't, that doesn't get in the way of my enjoying this thrill (too much). A fairly reek-lite outing, this one, but it didn't suffer one bit for that - proof positive of what an unbelievably rich world Pat has conjured here. Can't wait to see it back, whenever that might be, but Leigh's spidery inks will be sorely missed.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 December, 2015, 02:51:40 PM
Rufus's art (while excellent in and of itself) really hasn't helped on that score, giving the whole thing a sort of Beano vibe.

Knew there was something familiar that I couldn't put my finger on, and that's precisely it. 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Proudhuff

Haha!!  :D
Do I win the Internet? from last weeks review thread:

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 November, 2015, 01:49:11 PM
Dredd: I was expecting Dredd to have been pulling a Wally squad person from that gang when he assaulted him, or was working on cracking OCD corruption, but neither seems to be the case, hopefully its not a straight forward as it seems?
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 December, 2015, 03:01:47 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 December, 2015, 02:51:40 PM
Rufus's art (while excellent in and of itself) really hasn't helped on that score, giving the whole thing a sort of Beano vibe.

Knew there was something familiar that I couldn't put my finger on, and that's precisely it.

Yeah - I want to stress I'm not saying it's bad by any means. Works perfectly for Tank Girl (not that that's really my thing)  but not so much here imo.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

I agree, not in any way bad, bud definitely out of place.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Proudhuff

...While I think it adds to the variety of the Prog and is IMHO better that the artwork on Defoe which lacks Rufus' spunk and vitality and confidence to play about with the layouts, different strokes and al that.
Terror Tale was fine and I take it that Futureshocks have all been done now?
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 December, 2015, 03:35:00 PM
... I take it that Futureshocks have all been done now?
I'm sure there are still some 'and the real monsters are the humans' type stories still to do. Mind you Bad Company has just gone there :)

Geoff

Quote from: ming on 07 December, 2015, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: Geoff on 05 December, 2015, 11:32:26 PM
Great cover - would be great to have McCarthy back in the prog.. would a Dredd be too much to ask?

There'll be more McCarthy in (and on) the Prog in due course, I hear.  Dredd... yup.

Great news! Looking forward to that already!

PsychoGoatee

I have a pretty big backlog, but must say always terrific to see John Wagner doing his thing! The best.

Proudhuff

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 07 December, 2015, 07:48:11 PM
I have a pretty big backlog, but must say always terrific to see John Wagner doing his thing! The best.

Yeah I sometimes read my prog in there too  :-[
DDT did a job on me

staticgirl

I've finally stumped up for the monthly print sub because I am fed up of struggling to find 2000ad in the shops or it being hidden from view by effing colouring books etc etc. It's supposed to start with this issue - do you know when it would be delivered? Wednesday? I don't want to miss the last episode of Defoe.

GordonR

Quote from: staticgirl on 08 December, 2015, 10:35:49 AM
I've finally stumped up for the monthly print sub because I am fed up of struggling to find 2000ad in the shops or it being hidden from view by effing colouring books etc etc. It's supposed to start with this issue - do you know when it would be delivered? Wednesday? I don't want to miss the last episode of Defoe.

Subscriber copies normally arrive Saturday.  The one with the end of the Defoe story certainly did.  Are you sure your subscription will start with Prog 1960?