Main Menu

Prog 1962 : FEEL THE THRILL SURGE!

Started by Darren Stephens, 30 December, 2015, 03:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

I'm going to resub to get this but trying to decide between a digital or paper sub.

Do must folk still prefer paper for the prog?

Colin YNWA

I'm paper for the Prog and digital for the meg. Much as there's a LOT to praise about going digital overall (prime example being some of the incredible sales, Humble Bundles etc really has diversify my reading) when you compare them relating to a comic you love... well they don't compare. Reading the Meg is a bit of a functional process reading the Prog is a joy.

Worth saying though its the quality of the stories that really counts... so contradicting myself there!

Something Fishy

Yeah that's a good point.

I like the space saving of digital and some of the readers are awesome but there is something special about holding the paper comic In your hands.

Hmm, I need to make my mind up.

Hawkmumbler

Since going 90% digital, only buying trades in this mortal form or paper and glue, i've saved a lot of money (ha!) but really saved a hell of a lot of space.

Something Fishy

Yeah it can save a lot.  The difference with the prog is only 3 quid though per month.  I'm tempted to go paper but then often end up clearing them out, digitally I would keep them.  Hmmm.

I, Cosh

Lacklustre Prog for me. Nothing bad (well, maybe Ro-Busters) but nothing above average. Guess that's how it's going to be until 1973!
We never really die.

sheridan

RPG night tonight, so only read two stories before bedtime, but liked the Dredd (Jawa spotting, and was that Kenny next to it?) and ABC Warriors, even though it is based on WTC conspiracy theories.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Langley in Kev Walker-esque style....nice.

Dredd:  Passable, but not memorable.

Kingdom: Mad Max with big ass bugs, what's not to like?

Ro-Busters: Another soap box session coming up, but perhaps a little less jarring than those that have gone before from Mr Mills?  Art wise, couldn't be happier to see Langley doing what he is good at.

The Order: Guessing we're unlikely to see the characters from the last run (for the most part) as there seems to have been a significant time shift, but that's ok as long as the tale delivers the same beautiful art and engaging story as before.  I expect Dark Jimbo is right on the rotting man....so at least there may be a familiar face of sorts in play.

Strontium Dog:  Liking the idea of some reformed Stix'.  Hoping it's not just the usual double dealings, and they do actually prove to be more involved in future tales as allies of sorts.  There's something quite charming about their mono-syllabic approach to life.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ZenArcade

Brief read so far: augers well for '16. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Fungus

A satisfying prog after the thumping Christmas edition.

The Order and Strontium Dog both glorious fun, I liked the stark red hair's effect but didn't make the link that Colin did. Very nicely done, that's how you do continuity. Wasn't too enamoured of the opening SD episode but that all changed with this part. So much great dialogue, the new Stix are the life & soul as you'd expect and even McNulty didn't ruin things.

Dredd seemed to hinge on a twist that was unfortunately quite obvious, but nicely told. Kingdom remains a shouting contest with big insects, I don't get it, sorry. I hope it's not quintessential 2000AD... Robusters is a funny beast, it has its moments and the art is both lovely but stiff at the same time. Truly Langley is the modern Belardinelli... and his cover is great.

maryanddavid

A little strange to read a Dredd and recognise some you know on its pages! James Bacon please step forward!  When's my turn Mike?
Overall a decent prog, nothing outstanding, but that to be expected with second episodes, the Order though is really something to look at, I hope it lives up to the fun of its predecessor.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Fungus on 07 January, 2016, 09:02:59 PM
Kingdom remains a shouting contest with big insects, I don't get it, sorry.

Don't be sorry, I don't think Kingdom is much more than that. The dialogue is pretty dire it's like a stuck record that wasn't even that interesting listening the first time around...

The Adventurer

Kingdom is the modern era's Rogue Trooper. Except unlike Rogue, Gene, and the core premies, has dared evolved a bit from his lone wandering days. I sure hope it's not the end.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Herm. Sadly I've never taken to Kingdom as much as I should do. It's harmless enough, but not meeting the hype and the dialogue can grate at times. Let's hope this series can convert me to it's favour.

Have to say, The Order is bloody brilliant. That art! Mr. Burns is a real talent.

Colin Zeal

Are The Stix family not mutants then? Or am I just misunderstanding the reference to them as "humans?" If they aren't mutants, was the revealed previously and I managed to miss it?