Main Menu

ABC Warriors Time line

Started by james newell, 18 March, 2016, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: Skullmo on 18 March, 2016, 09:46:21 PM
one thing to keep in mind is it is a comic, so it doesnt really matter that much.

...thank goodness for that, I was in danger of thinking for a moment there  ;)

nice one Skullmo

Skullmo

And more thought than most of those that read it  :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

The Adventurer

Stop thinking, start believing?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

credo

There's a problem there, isn't there?

The Warriors in Nemesis and Deadlock are the same ones who've travelled back in time post black hole, but the Nemesis is the same one who's come out of the time wastes during the Termight Era and placed (or is about to place) some magical maguffin barrier around Earth.

So, the Warriors have to have travelled back to their present to meet Nemesis, then back to the past to find Hecate (maybe Torquemada blew it up in their present).

Either that or it's a past Nemesis ...

Or maybe Mr Mills just phoned that one in and wasn't paying attention.

While I'd love to move on from ABC flashbacks, i am kind intruiged to see more stories from Hammerstein's years as a Terminator and Joe's years hunting meatbags. I miss Termight in the prog.

TordelBack

While agreeing with the interpretation of the chronology, the big problem for me with the idea that the current Mars stories occur before Termight is the Warriors' motivation - they are protecting this planetary consciousness, supporting one faction over another, liberating that city, now railing against Howard Quartz, when what they should be doing is preventing the rise of Termight.

Hawkmumbler

The Mills-verse continuity is a hodge podge of retcons and rewritting, i've learned just to take every book of every series at face value.

Skullmo

Why prevent the rise of termite? They have all worked for it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 March, 2016, 10:38:02 AM
Why prevent the rise of termite? They have all worked for it.

Yes but that was their pre-Khaos slave-selves. They've been fighting against Terran/corporate imperialism/genocide since the Gothic Empire (and some long before that), and their 'leader' is Deadlock, whose master/host is/was Nemesis...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 March, 2016, 09:55:09 AM
The Mills-verse continuity is a hodge podge of retcons and rewritting, i've learned just to take every book of every series at face value.

I have to admit it gets on my wick a bit sometimes.  Look at Sláine, for example - all his past supposedly changed once when he was travelling through time (around his Robin Goodfellow stage); then again in the Book of Scars.  Slough Feg and Medb are dead, then alive, then dead again; but then it turns out that Slough Feg didn't actually die when Sláine threw the Gae Bolga at him, but then Sláine killed him later.  Sometimes I just wish I knew what was supposed to have actually happened in past stories.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 March, 2016, 09:55:09 AM

Prior to ABC WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR, Pat had a knack for dovetailing cross-continuity as if he'd had it planned out all along. For reasons though I can't fathom he then relocated the [second] Volgan War to the 2080s . . .
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Skullmo

I think it's pretty safe to say that Dredd's universe and the Millsverse are different

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 March, 2016, 02:14:50 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that Dredd's universe and the Millsverse are different
So are we to assume the poor old Judgey fed to Satanus by Thoth was, in fact, taken from another dimension?

And that, at some point, another Howard Quartz produced a number of Hammersteins for another Bill Savage that eventually fell into the employ of Bad Bob Booth? The latter of whom never rose to power in the Millsverse?

Skullmo

Do you even care? Just stop reading it if you don't like it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 March, 2016, 02:29:16 PM
Do you even care? Just stop reading it if you don't like it.
I find the ABC Warriors can and have been a fantastic concept, character base and story driven series. However, everything from The Volgan War through to these 'Return of/to' stories have been mostly awful, and as much a hodge podge as the continuity is I still find it amusing to, as Jayzus puts it, see how he messed what was a perfectly understandable time line up in the space of a decade.

Skullmo

The people that make comics are commercial artists - they are paid money to come up with ideas and make stories that excite and entertain.

They rarely sit around nerding over the intricate details of how everything fits together and in many cases artists produce work and then never re-read it. There are contradictions in most artist's work, especially when they work over a long time - Pat Mills, John Wagner etc. They are just stories.

It was never a perfectly understandable timeline as the Volgan wars don't fit in with the Judge system. And is the Judge timeline linked to the strontium dog timeline? And the rogue trooper timeline? both have guested in Dredd. So at the same time the ABC warriors are on Mars is Anderson there discovering god and falling in love with Orlock?

Trying to thread everything together may be nerd paradise, and of course we all want that, but it is not practical for a writer to work like that and it would be pointless to fetter your creativity in that way. If Mills wants to re-write something from the past that's his decision. Whether I agree with it or not is my decision. And if it is really hampering your enjoyment of the strip that much then all you can do is stop reading it.

I thought the latest Bad Company story was utterly terrible but it doesn't mean that it has ruined the original series. I just don't really consider it part of Bad Company in my mind. The story still ends with the Kano mini series. As a reader I can make that choice, they are just stories made up by talented people who don't necessarily always get it right for everyone.