Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

I just listened to episode 30 - great stuff! As covers were described I found myself googling them to see what I was missing (such as the one by PJ Holden and some of the other classics - Democracy isn't working etc..).

This sounds like a beautiful book, I have never purchased an art book before but am now considering The Art of Judge Dredd: Featuring 35 Years of Zarjaz Covers. It sounds like the art and commentary within are well worth it. Cheers

Tony Angelino

I enjoyed the podcast but found as it continued, post the newsstand issues, I just didn't have the knowledge of the covers that Eamonn and Pete were discussing. 

I think you probably needed to be either near a computer or have a copy of the book to fully enjoy this particular episode.

Good to see Prog 61 getting a special mention though as I would say its the greatest Prog cover of all time (as Spikes Harvey Rotten might say).

Steve Green

I guess certain aspects of it lend itself to a youtube video, even if it's just grabs of the relevant covers.

Eamonn Clarke

Yes, it does sort of need you to have the book to hand I'm afraid.
Maybe we'll video next time P-WLS returns.  :-[

Eamonn Clarke

And for anyone who doesn't do Facebook here is a list of the episodes so far and the books picked for the coming year:

Episodes
1: Dan Dare vol 1 with Simon Belmont​
2. The Complete America with Pete Wells
3. The Cursed Earth (Titan editions) with Jim Moon
4. Devlin Waugh: Swimming in Blood with Tony Richards
5. Mandroid with Steve Green
6. Scarlet Traces​ with Scowlin Munkeh
7. Button Man: Get Harry Ex with Pete Wells
8. ABC Warriors: The Black Hole with Julius Howe
9. Zenith Phase 1 with David Grice
10. The Mighty One with Will Cooling
11. Chopper: Song of the Surfer with Glen Lees
12 GoldTiger with Simon Belmont
13. Alan Moore's Future Shocks with Brett Summers
14. Brass Sun with Nathan Duck
15. Monster & Return to Armageddon with Alex Frith
16. Judge Child Quest with Judge Anon
17. The Ballad of Halo Jones with Sheridan Kelly and Rachael Bullmore​
18. The Henry Flint collection with SpongeJosh
19. The Daily Dredds vol 1 with Guy Robbins​
20. Indigo Prime: Killing Time with Gareth Hopkins
21. First Progs
22. 2000AD 1982 annual with Paul Moore
23. The Taxidermist with Steve Longdon​
24. Captain Britain: Endgame with Duncan Nimmo
25. Thrill-power Overload with David Bishop
26. D.R, & Quinch with Adam Murdough
27. 40 years of 2000AD
28. Charley's War with Mark Sexton
29. Nemesis Book 4: The Gothic Empire with Luke Williams​
30. The Art of Judge Dredd with Pete Wells
31. Nikolai Dante vol 1 with Matthew Ellis​
32. Strontium Dog on Big Finish with Brian Doob​
33. Strontium Dog S/D agency files 1 with Steve Green​
34. A Tale of One Bad Rat with Owen Watts

Books to come:

The Pit
Rogue Trooper vol 1
Nemesis Book 1
Dredd: Urban Warfare
Titan
The Apocalypse War
Tour of Duty : The Backlash
Zenith Phase 2
Harry 20 on the High Rock
Fiends of the Eastern Front
Ro-Busters: the complete nuts and bolts vol 1
Heavy Metal Dredd
City of the Damned
Low life volume 2
Dredd Case files volume 5
Zombo book 1
Slaine: The Horned God
Harlem Heroes
Cradlegrave
The Midnight Surfer
OZ
Brit-Cit Noir
The Judge Dredd role playing game
Stickleback vol 1
The Complete Al's Baby
The Stainless Steel Rat

In 2018
Alice in Sunderland
The Last American
Young Death
Portrait of a Mutant
Dan Dare vol 2
The Dredd Batman collection

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 13 April, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
And for anyone who doesn't do Facebook here is a list of the episodes so far and the books picked for the coming year:

Books to come:

Nemesis Book 1

Now is that the Titan edition - so truly 'Book I' of Nemesis the Warlock' - or the latest available Rebellion reprint - so the first few books?

QuoteThe Judge Dredd role playing game

The Games Workshop, Mongoose (D20) or Mongoose (Traveller) version?

(and there'll be a NEW version out soon)

Eamonn Clarke

That's book 1 as in the Titan edition, not the phone book collection of 1-4.

And Matt Sharp is going to guide me gently through the various RPGs after I rolled a 0 for experience.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 13 April, 2017, 03:47:14 PM

The Games Workshop version, along with the Judge Dredd Companion with mentions of the Judgement Day and Slaughter Margin campaigns, but not Citi-Block (because I haven't got it), as well as mentioning the Judge Dredd Boardgame as well as Block Mania and Mega Mania, but not Rogue Trooper (because I haven't got that one either).

In the best traditions of a role-playing game session, I've got either about ten minutes of material, or it's going to be a gruelling campaign that'll take about eighteen months to get through :)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 13 April, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 April, 2017, 03:47:14 PM

The Games Workshop version, along with the Judge Dredd Companion with mentions of the Judgement Day and Slaughter Margin campaigns, but not Citi-Block (because I haven't got it), as well as mentioning the Judge Dredd Boardgame as well as Block Mania and Mega Mania, but not Rogue Trooper (because I haven't got that one either).

In the best traditions of a role-playing game session, I've got either about ten minutes of material, or it's going to be a gruelling campaign that'll take about eighteen months to get through :)

I'll look forward to that one (I own everything you mentioned except the JDRPG/WH40K Citiblock supplement).  My view on the JD boardgame - great art, fun to play but gets repetitive very quickly. 

Eamonn - when can we expect that to be broadcast, or are they roughly in recording / editing / broad/podcast order already?

Eamonn Clarke

Bojemoi! Happy Easter, everybody. And here is Matthew Ellis to launch a Faberge egg hunt and introduce me to the wonders of Nikolai Dante.

Listen in here.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/mega-city-book-club-31-too-cool-to-kill.html

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: sheridan on 13 April, 2017, 04:41:28 PM

Eamonn - when can we expect that to be broadcast, or are they roughly in recording / editing / broad/podcast order already?

Probably November. The recording order should be something like this

The Apocalypse War
Lowlife 2
Cradlegrave
Rogue Trooper
Oz
Horned God
Stickleback
Robusters
Harlem Heroes
The VCs
Harry 20
The Role Playing Games
Al's Baby
City of the  Damned
Tour of duty: the Backlash
Zombo
Heavy Metal Dredd
Midnite Surfer
The Last American
Case Files 5

But if you look at the full list you will see that there are also a bunch of books to try and fit in there or to carry over to next year. Lots to get through, sorry it's so far in the future.

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 16 April, 2017, 08:39:07 AM

Bojemoi! Happy Easter, everybody. And here is Matthew Ellis to launch a Faberge egg hunt and introduce me to the wonders of Nikolai Dante.

Listen in here.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/mega-city-book-club-31-too-cool-to-kill.html

My podcast feed today:

• The 2000AD Thrill-Cast: Nikolai Dante Retrospective
  • Mega City Book Club 31: Too Cool to Kill
...coincidence?

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 16 April, 2017, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 April, 2017, 04:41:28 PM

Probably November. The recording order should be something like this
(snip)
But if you look at the full list you will see that there are also a bunch of books to try and fit in there or to carry over to next year. Lots to get through, sorry it's so far in the future.

Well, I would be upset, but there's so much other stuff to look forward to in the meantime!

positronic

I own a number of the collections you've reviewed. Others like that review of Nemesis the Warlock: The Gothic Empire I will have to skip for a little while, because of spoilers. Thanks for proper spoiler-labeling!

I only got THE ART OF JUDGE DREDD myself last month, so I know how you must have felt! Great book, as is THRILL-POWER OVERLOAD (I got the newly-updated 40th Anniversary HC version of only a couple of months past). That one was so zarjaz that I've been trawling through my older 2000 AD graphic collections and ordering new ones from Amazon ever since!

I'm sure your page is going to be a great help with recommendations. You should try to review Nemesis the Warlock: Termight Edition HC, as I'm curious about the small details of how that differs (apart from the added colour) from the regular first 3 books of Nemesis.

Pete Wells

I've been binge listening to these over the last few weeks and it's definitely my favourite podcast. Every single one has made me want to go and reread the book that's being discussed and Eamonn is an incredible host.

I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has appeared on the podcast up to now, you're all stars!