Main Menu

Prog 1822 - The Sound Of The Underground

Started by JamesC, 02 March, 2013, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 06 March, 2013, 06:16:31 PM
Savage - If all the Volgs want to do is destroy the bridge, why are they bothering with all this ground assault milarky? Just bomb the thing (along with Savage and his cronies) and move on. If they wanted to capture it intact I'd understand, but one Volgan specifically states they just want to destroy it.

I think the bridge is a 'MacGuffin'; just there to move the plot forward. Otherwise we wouldn't have all this intriguing interplay!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 06 March, 2013, 06:16:31 PM
Savage - If all the Volgs want to do is destroy the bridge, why are they bothering with all this ground assault milarky?... If they wanted to capture it intact I'd understand, but one Volgan specifically states they just want to destroy it.

No, they want to take the bridge - as the Volgan officer says this week, it's now the only remaining Thames river crossing and the city can't get back to 'normal' without it. The same officer is then told to liquidate Savage and take the bridge.

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 06 March, 2013, 05:58:46 PM
In Carroll's defense, 18 pages isn't a lot of room for the nuances of who'd like to stay and who'd like to leave MC-1, but there's a very valid point in that criticism.

I did have a line about how this story having been a four-parter would have cleared most of this up, but I think I lost it in an edit.

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 March, 2013, 03:18:40 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 March, 2013, 12:21:19 PM
I think the point about returning to EM2 was that the regime there (as it's been painted) would be likely to look very negatively on those people.
It really would be a frying pan/fire situation, oppressed (even more) by the authorities there, treated as traitors by the resident citizens - it would be a similar situation, and MC2 was the least worst option.

Really?! How much worse could the East Meggers concievably be that life in the post-DoC city would be preferable?! Surely one nationalistic facist overlord is much like another at the best of times; and as Grant points out, how could life there possibly be worse than in the Meg just now? I loved the story on the whole, just can't understand the character's reasons for wanting to stay post-DoC...
@jamesfeistdraws

Fisticuffs

The Volg soldier on the second page says - 'Why is it so important to destroy the bridge sarge?', That's what threw me.

vzzbux

We still don't know the impact to the rest of the Dredd world. It got out there, other cities would have been infected.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mabs

Programme 1822

I have to agree with Dark Jimbo and a lot of others on this; not the strongest of progs, BUT there was still some enjoyment to be derived...

Judge Dredd: Wolves Part 3; felt a little rushed toward the end for me. The Dmitry and Luka storyline looked really promising but came to an abrupt end, especially how it built up in the preceding Progs. The confusion of the last page is understandable, but thanks to Mike Carroll taking the time to clear it up, i didn't have much of a problem. I hope this misunderstanding doesn't affect their working relationship as i felt Currie's artwork had been superb. Not many cameo's by well known faces this time round (unless you've spotted something i haven't!) but very well done. Hopefully we will see more of his work soon.

Ampney Crucis also felt a little rushed, and like a lot of you guys felt let down by the ending....now Red Seas, this is one strip which for me has been almost consistent from the start. I can't remember one week where i did not derive some pleasure from it. Out of Edginton's two strips this one i enjoyed most, of course Edgibton's writing being key but a considerable part of that enjoyment has to do with Steve Yeowell's outstanding b&w artwork aswell, and nowhere is it depicted more better than the two page splash halfway through the Prog. In a word - Wow. I wish i could've bought another copy so i could frame that centre spread up on my wall, yes thats how highly i regard Yeowell's work. I know i'm in the minority when i say this but i will hugely miss this strip once it finishes next week.  :'(

Future Shocks: Intestinauts; I loved how the title paid 'homage' to one of my son's favourite TV shows; The Octonauts! :D. I really enjoyed the strip; sort of like the Fantastic Voyage or Inner Space but with robot capsule 'Octonauts' instead of humans - which is far more interesting if you ask me! and the artwork by Pye Parr was superb. 

Savage was excellent. I enjoyed the humanising of the Volgan's as there's always two sides to every war (Steeleye seems to be the voice of reason amongst the Volgan's) but that said i still wanna see that bastard sniper getting his comeuppance next Prog! Patrick Goddard's artwork has been absolutely outstanding throughout this series, one thing i forgot to mention in previous reviews is that i love his design of the panels, the heavy edges making the image more striking and immediate - almost like you're watching a live action film. For me he is one of the most talented artists around and i wish we could see him Interrogated in the Megazine! (Molch-R  if you're reading this then please could you take it under consideration?) I hope we can see more output from him, even if its for a different strip. But coming back to the story it's been thrilling and engaging thus far, and i'm really looking forward to next week.

So all in all, enjoyable stuff, not as thrilling as the last few Progs but still quite strong especially where Savage and Red Seas are concerned.

3.5/5

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Mabs on 06 March, 2013, 10:41:06 PM
Judge Dredd: Wolves Part 3... Not many cameo's by well known faces this time round (unless you've spotted something i haven't!)...
Stallone? Page 2, panel 6.

Seriously though, I'm a fan of Andrew Currie's work. I really like the expressive figures and facial expressions he draws. Reminds me of the work of Will Eisner and some of the artists from MAD.

Mabs

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 06 March, 2013, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 06 March, 2013, 10:41:06 PM
Judge Dredd: Wolves Part 3... Not many cameo's by well known faces this time round (unless you've spotted something i haven't!)...
Stallone? Page 2, panel 6.

Seriously though, I'm a fan of Andrew Currie's work. I really like the expressive figures and facial expressions he draws. Reminds me of the work of Will Eisner and some of the artists from MAD.

Yeah, there is quite a resemblance! As for Currie's artwork; i wasn't too taken with it at first, however i warmed to it very quickly. I see what you mean by Will Eisner too, it (Currie's work) is quite evocative of the legends work, and i also love his characters facial expressions and spot-the-star style!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: vzzbux on 06 March, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
We STILL don't know the impact to the rest of the Dredd world. It got out there, other cities would have been infected.
V

Been a long time now. Could you put us in the picture, powers that be please; also as someone else has posted can we have a better overview of Mega-City One now as things stand ie how the population is scattered/divided, reconstruction efforts, the millions of masterless robots situation(as after the Apocalypse War) and so on and so forth.

Dredd-Really liked it but like everyone else the ending came too quickly and threw me.Thanks for the explanation Mike but still a bit confused about where we stand with Mega City Two (is that Hondo reconstruction story definately written off or what?). Why would they allow the sovs there? Anyway, if this could be made clearer in the future that would be great.

Spikes

A top prog this week, and i also thought that was Ampney on the cover, as i picked it up..
Top cover, BTW.

Dredd did feel a tad confusing, but i see that Mike's already explained it all. It did feel a bit too quickly wrapped up as well, but clearly its setting up for future stories.
And, thisll get Mr Curries eyes rolling, i kinda miss the good girl part of his art, now its absent. Can we have the odd one thrown in now and again? The panel of Dredd encased in the riot foam, and the other Judges comment, made me smile, as did Hershey with her hands on her hips.

Ampney is just a total joy. Very much hoping it returns soon.
The future shock was fun, as was Red Seas. Savage is the Guv, and looking forward to reading the finale (along with Red Seas, of course) next week.

Satanist

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 March, 2013, 06:42:49 PM
QuoteAnd along with that comes the question: why still live in Mega-City One?  It's been unparalleled disaster after disaster for 25 years - The Apocalypse War, two robot wars, Cal, Necropolis, Judgement Day, now this... why the heck still live here?  Why not move to Texas-City or Canadia?  I'd question whether even a majority of the remaining citizens still have enough patriotic pride to want to stay on when they could go to some Mega-City where this level of catastrophe doesn't happen all the damn time.

This is something I have also pondered. I'd suggest that while all you say about MC-1 is true, we don't know what goes on in the rest of the world. Other mega cities may have it a LOT worse than MC-1...

Most of them are on the dole so they can either walk via the cursed earth or live with the occasional disaster. Like it or lump it.

Was confused at the last panel of Dredd as its obviously a drawing of a Sov city so glad that was cleared up, cheers Mike as I have enjoyed it so far.

rest of the progs not been doing much for me so looking forward to clearing the decks.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

MercZ

I suppose the thing that bugged me the most was the whole Mega City Two bit, but I guess we'll have that explained one day. Unless it's never referred to ever again.

Otherwise good, though more lowkey, prog. The futureshocks was pretty clever, sad to see Ampney go on break, the ending kind of seemed rushed to me. I will look forward to Red Seas' conclusion and Savage taking care of the sniper whose griefed them long enough.

Slip de Garcon

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 05 March, 2013, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 05 March, 2013, 01:06:21 PM
I can only imagine how disheartening it must be to have your story met with confusion and criticism (which genuinely seem to relate to the art job rather than the script) but rest assured I look forward to your next script!

It can be a little mystifying when that happens, but that's the nature of the business - sometimes things are changed, or they just don't work out as expected! Mr. Currie's inclusion of Sov Judges in the scene does throw a spanner into the works regarding my future plans, but adversity brings opportunity: it may well be that this will spin the future stories in a direction I might not otherwise have thought of...

-- Mike

Many thanks to Mike Carroll for clearing this up - makes sense now. Though the subsequent comment on the 'Continuity Shitstorm' that is MC2 did raise a titter....

TordelBack

Hmmm.  Shame about the Dredd, which up to the very end was one of the best of recent days.  Even with Mike's generous clarification I'm not sure the final page worked, with blame apportioned three ways.  I love the voice that Mike's Dredd has and I've completely fallen for Andrew's exuberant art, but I do think that if Tharg had being paying a bit more attention to proceedings this sort of thing might have been avoided. In-story I'm disappointed in Hershey - it does play up just how desperate things are, and it's a nice counterpoint to her blackmailed position on the mutant question that emphasises Dredd's loss of influence, but for me it was a betrayal too far for an already depopulated city: hang together or hang separately.

Richmond Clements

QuoteIn-story I'm disappointed in Hershey - it does play up just how desperate things are, and it's a nice counterpoint to her blackmailed position on the mutant question that emphasises Dredd's loss of influence, but for me it was a betrayal too far for an already depopulated city: hang together or hang separately.

My reading is that Hershey's sometimes doing this sort of thing just to spite Dredd - to send him a clear message that she's in charge and not him.

Spikes

And Dredd insist's on calling her by her last name only. There's a lot of tit-for-tat, with these two.