Main Menu

Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Bah, what ever happened to early posty's? I've gotta wait till after College now  to get my thrill power. Gits.

P-BOT/1138

this weeks prog must be in the guiness book of records for having the most gasps and 'oh, shit' moments in a single comic.

GordyM

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 24 November, 2012, 07:40:03 PM
So fucking glad I started re buying 2000ad.

Testify!

I'm squarely back in the loving ABC Warriors camp with the latest storyline and the way it's linking together the old and the new.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Proudhuff

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 25 November, 2012, 07:02:36 PM
Did ANYONE in Cal-Hab District get their prog delivered yesterday?????  :-(

aye, first thing Saturday morning  :D

and whit a pleasure it was, sausage on a roll, two mugs o coffee, P&Q and THAT Prog and no work!!

TRIFECTA?!

and what about that IT ALL ENDS HERE image? I'm hoping that's the 1812 cover =  Dredd's chin, Simp Nose and Franks eye patch, The Xmas prog will have to be pretty damn amazing to top that.
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Dredd / Low Life / Simping Detective have been masterful up to now, I've really been enjoing the prog recently with this run. Very excited to see how it pans out. As others have said Brass Sun kinda peters out towards the end. An older lady with an eyepatch ? Did Si Fraser do character design for this story or something :) I enjoyed ABC this run more than I expected, clunky Pat Mills dialogue and politics aside. It's been a joy to see Clint back to a more conventional style, although ABC is the strip that shows off his 'shop skills the best. At least we don't have to have another bloody 4 books forshadowing Tubal Cain every 3 pages.

So 3 superb strips, and 2 not half bad. Can't complain and next week looks like it will be a doozy.

Hawkmumbler

Just read the Dredd world strips. F*ck me sideways with bulldozer! If prog 1812 isn't a stone cold clssic that will be referenced for year's to come, then The Cold Deck will simply have been a HUGE succese rather than a giant of comic book writing.

Taryn Tailz

Any one else get the feeling that in years to come Prog 1812 is going to be very sought after? I think it will and I haven't even seen Prog 1811 yet.

Steve Green

Just excellent - feeling sorry for the other strips being eclipsed by the Cold Deck trio.

mygrimmbrother

The way D'Israeli depicted Frank as he starts loping across the surface of the moon is my favourite littel sequence in the prog for ages. The way he goes from knackered resignation to hobo hero space-leap put a huge grin on my face.

Prog's great again (ABCs aside).

JamesC

Can't wait for prog 1812!

This is what happened in the year 1812:

On September 7, 1812, at Borodino, 120 km (75 mi) west of Moscow, Napoleon's forces met those of General Mikhail Kutuzov in the only concerted stand made by Russia against the seemingly invincible French army. The Battle of Borodino saw casualties estimated as high as 100,000 and resulted in a French tactical victory. It was, however, ultimately a Pyrrhic victory for the French invasion.[7]

With resources depleted and supply lines overextended, Napoleon's weakened forces moved into Moscow, which they occupied with little resistance. Expecting capitulation from the displaced Tsar Alexander I, the French instead found themselves in a barren and desolate city, parts of which had been burned to the ground by the retreating Russian Army.

Deprived of winter stores, Napoleon had no alternative but to retreat. Beginning on October 19 and lasting well into December, the French army faced several overwhelming obstacles on its long retreat: famine, typhus, frigid temperatures, harassing cossacks and Russian forces barring the way out of the country. Abandoned by Napoleon in December, the Grande Armée was reduced to one-tenth of its original size by the time it reached Poland[8] and relative safety.

Possible echos of this in Mega City 1 and the invading God City?

Tjm86

I'm with everyone that is completely out of appropriate superlatives to describe the current run.  I'm looking forward to the annual review of the year after prog 2013 is finished.  Only thing is that we really have been spoiled with DOC and now the Cold Deck.  Personally I'm expecting prog 2013 to be a little disappointing on the back of this since I fail to see how it can be topped  (but I'm more than happy to be proved wrong).  My only gripe on Dredd is the echoes of Day the Law Died with a power mad senior judge using sleep machines / briefing machines to brainwash the judges.  Picky I know but there you have it.

a chosen rider

Cover: Whoa.  Dude. :o

Dredd: The "two mistakes" line delights me.  [spoiler]"You underestimated me... and you picked an office next to accounts."[/spoiler]  Genius.  Is [spoiler]Smiley the head of accounts division[/spoiler], then?  That makes a frightening amount of sense.  And yow, that cliffhanger... *bites nails*  The art and moody colouring are surpassing themselves this episode, as good if not better than the heights of Day of Chaos.  Dredd at its very best.

Brass Sun - More twists.  I like this and I'll be interested to read book two, but I hope the plot starts coming together more next time around.  It all looks lovely, but I've been finding it hard to get into the story when it keeps throwing in new elements without a clear sense of the overall direction.

ABC Warriors - Huh, I'd almost forgotten the flashback story started out framed by a modern-day Mars sequence.  Bit of a jolt to go back to it, really.  I usually like Langley's digital art on this, but it suffers from the direct comparison to his b/w linework: I'm conscious of a lack of depth to the art that I don't usually notice.  And the dialogue here is pure as-you-know-Bob exposition; I feel like this story would have ended stronger if it bowed out two weeks ago on the introduction of Mek-Quake.

Low Life - Those are some amazing panels of Frank at the bottom of page two.  And on page three... okay, this story is just full of amazing panels of Frank.  And the 'of Frank' bit may well be extraneous.  I love how this story underscores the unlikely parallels between Dredd and Frank, the thing that makes them both such good Judges under their completely different exteriors: their empathy for the people and love for the city they protect.  And that heroic leap into space... amazing.

Simping Detective - 'End Slightly Nigh!' is genius.  The censored swearing gag is cute, too.  This strip benefits from the accelerating pace, I think, with the narration pared down instead of having room to get overindulgent.  And I love that panel of Dredd and Frank - all of a sudden I'm jonesing for a Coleby-illustrated Dredd strip.  Great reveal at the end as well.

Stunning stuff.  Okay, both ABC and Brass Sun sort of meander towards their respective endings, but the full-throttle Dreddworld stuff is so good that's barely a blip in the quality of the prog.  I am genuinely expecting at least one of the leads to die, and I'm only seventy percent convinced that it's not Dredd.  Is prog 1812 here yet?
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Goaty

Goaty

Highlight image of the week!

HEAVY SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVY SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVY SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVY SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/7aXRA.png

Fisticuffs

Goaty, is that image from prog 1811? Just want to check before I click it. :D