Main Menu

Red Seas - Digital Collection

Started by Bat King, 11 March, 2015, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Banks

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 June, 2015, 10:28:56 AM
I think the main problem with Red Seas was how it ran in the Prog, rather than the story itself. I imagine it works rally nicely barreling along in collected form.

Is this to do with regularity? Or irregularity in this case I guess?

glassstanley

In part, I think it's down to the fact that it went on for so long and there wasn't a history of GN reprints to help readers catch up or jump on. With strips like Stickleback or Shakara it was fairly easy to be up to date if you joined at a later stage. As the Red Seas GN series never went beyond Vol 1 that option wasn't there. It's a shame, as there's a couple of decent phone book GNs there waiting to be printed.

IndigoPrime

For me, the gaps were big and I lost track of what's going on. And, as per the previous comment, lacking collections meant there was no convenient way to catch up.

Spaceghost

Only just got round to taking the plunge on this and, despite some technical issues, I'm enjoying it much more than I remember doing when it ran in the prog.

Comments further up the thread about the nature of it's original serialisation not being the best way to ingest the story are spot on in my case. I began each new series in the prog with barely any recollection of the last, and in a state of confusion about who all the supporting characters were and what everyone was supposed to be doing. Collected like this, the story cracks along at a rollicking pace and really works fantastically well.

Also, whilst reading in the prog, I can remember being left with the impression that Steve Yeowell's art seemed sparse, lacked detail and featured half suggested backgrounds, but that's certainly not my impression on this re-read. The art looks amazing and the huge menagerie of mythical beasts and other-worldly locations really shows off Yeowell's brilliant imagination.

Or the art DOES look great, providing I don't try and read it in the 2000 AD app. You see, the technical issues I mentioned earlier are in the form of some pretty poor, low resolution reproduction of the pages on my Android device. I own a seven inch Android tablet, and the original pages are too large to be properly viewed on a screen that size. Unfortunately, when zoomed in to any degree, the images and text begin to pixellate and become grainy and blurred.

I found a compromise to solve this was to download the CBR files direct from the 2000 AD online shop, then use the Comic Rack app to read it. There is still a slight loss of resolution when zooming in, but it's nowhere near as bad as the 2000 AD app which almost rendered it unreadable.

It seems odd that these collections haven't been optimised to be viewed at the very best resolution on the bespoke app. As they are digital exclusives you would think that every effort would be made to ensure that the art was presented in the best way possible.

This niggle aside, I would wholeheartedly recommend these collections to any Squaxx. Not only fans of The Red Seas, but anyone who felt that the strip left them underwhelmed during it's serial run. This new collected format makes the story shine.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Molch-R

Hi Spaceghost, the issue has now been fixed, you'll just need to redownload the files.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Molch-R on 29 September, 2015, 04:07:40 PM
Hi Spaceghost, the issue has now been fixed, you'll just need to redownload the files.

Brilliant. Thanks a lot Mike.

Spaceghost

Yep. Just downloaded again and now both books are in pin sharp high definition.

Thanks tech people.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex