Main Menu

Prog 1950 - YOU FEEL LUCKY, PUNKS?

Started by Buttonman, 26 September, 2015, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabish

Disappointed not to see recap pages for the returning thrills. It worked great the last time. Can't help but think a new reader would be completely lost and will be going forward. Even if they weren't in the prog would be great to have a recap page for each on the 2000ad website or a wiki. But alas.

Prodigal2

Absolutely loved this prog. Looked gorgeous on the shelf and the content was top notch on all fronts. Bad Company rules the roost if I had to pick. It was one of my first forays into the world of 2000AD when I came on board a few years back and I loved it then and the re-visit did not disappoint. Far, far from it.

(On an irritating nitpickers front I am not sure that Defoe would utter that particular prayer prior to grabbing the weapon. If his theology is drawn from the Levellers they were a  radical proddie crew).

TordelBack

Quote from: jabish on 01 October, 2015, 09:15:59 AM
Disappointed not to see recap pages for the returning thrills. It worked great the last time. Can't help but think a new reader would be completely lost and will be going forward. Even if they weren't in the prog would be great to have a recap page for each on the 2000ad website or a wiki. But alas.

I do like the recap pages, but the longer Nerve Centre boxes seem to do a decent job as an introduction in this instance - the issue here seems to be us regular readers wondering if we've missed something: the exception might be Dredd, but does anyone in the strip know what's going on yet anyway? 

The entire plot of Defoe-so-far is also explained in the strip itself: London is strangely rebuilt 'after the comet' in an qabalah pattern, someone called Faust was reanimating the dead but is now dead himself, Defoe a former zombie hunter now family man returned to his employ as a sedan carrier, zombies from Tyburn Cross appear for an unknown reason.  There's nothing else to know. Yet.

Molch-R

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 01 October, 2015, 10:13:11 AM
(On an irritating nitpickers front I am not sure that Defoe would utter that particular prayer prior to grabbing the weapon. If his theology is drawn from the Levellers they were a  radical proddie crew).

That gave me pause for thought but then I realised it's his wife, Tomazine Scarlet – the Irish pirate known as 'The Sea Wolf' and former member of The Dirty Dozenne - who says it and she's identified as Irish earlier in the episode.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 October, 2015, 10:40:58 AM
Quote from: Prodigal2 on 01 October, 2015, 10:13:11 AM

That gave me pause for thought but then I realised it's his wife, Tomazine Scarlet – the Irish pirate known as 'The Sea Wolf' and former member of The Dirty Dozenne - who says it and she's identified as Irish earlier in the episode.

Molch-R you observant genius. Well spotted fella and thank you.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 October, 2015, 10:36:18 AM
Quote from: jabish on 01 October, 2015, 09:15:59 AM
I do like the recap pages, but the longer Nerve Centre boxes seem to do a decent job as an introduction in this instance - the issue here seems to be us regular readers wondering if we've missed something: the exception might be Dredd, but does anyone in the strip know what's going on yet anyway?
Yeah, this. A new reader is more likely to just go with the flow and pick it up while the deliberate disorientation in three of the strips only really affects the long term reader.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 October, 2015, 07:43:29 AM
Both Brass Sun and Defoe open with new and unfamiliar situations, so you'renot missing anything. Bad Company too. When last we saw them Wren (and the Kurt Vonnegut in her head) and Septimus were free, and Defoe had just rescued Tomazine, killed Faust and quit his gig as zombie hunter.

And really, as the last time we saw PJ was when he was face-to-face with Judge Death, we don't really know whether [spoiler]that letter is from someone else pretending to be him or it is PJ himself and we don't know whether PJ is all three serial killers (as well as the murderer of the magician) or the serial killers are actually separate people.  So there could be between one and four serial killers, none or one of which may be PJ Maybe. [/spoiler] So if you're not sure what's going on in any of the four stories which began this week, you're not alone :-)

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 October, 2015, 10:36:18 AM
The entire plot of Defoe-so-far is also explained in the strip itself: London is strangely rebuilt 'after the comet' in an qabalah pattern

I thought of the following plans for the City of London when I read it - shall have to check out the Defoe map again when I get home.

TordelBack

Yeah, it's the unbuilt Evelyn plan (I think) for the post-Great Fire reconstruction that Pat/Leigh are using, but what I love is the way they've added the Tree of Life Sephirot names to the squares and intersections.

Goaty

Great Prog!

PJ Maybe is naughty in the Dredd story.

And one little problem in Defoe. As after many of zombies happens. Why they didn't cremated the bodies so it won't happens again???

Hawkmumbler

Top hole prog, really great all around.

Intruige and gruesome murder (courtesy of masters Wagner and Macneil) in Dredd is just my cup of cha, a strong reintroduction to cast and crew of Defoe, a hard hitting revelation in Brass Sun [spoiler](NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!! Poor Wren!)[/spoiler] and a SUPERB new outing from fan favourite Bad Company by Milligan and Daylgo (he's back people!) is a recipy for a very happy squaxx indeed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Goaty on 01 October, 2015, 01:36:44 PM
And one little problem in Defoe. As after many of zombies happens. Why they didn't cremated the bodies so it won't happens again???

Good question, Goaty! We've seen in previous outings that the curse of the reeks has been turned into a blessing, in typically inventive British fashion - they're used as cheap labour to power turbines and water wheels, and shipped abroad to work plantations in the American colonies; in this reality there's no slave trade because they have a flourishing reek trade instead. So - dangerous as they are when they get loose, reeks are a goldmine if kept under control.

One thing I didn't quite think rang true was the Tyburn victims all apparently having been buried in individual plots with personal headstones(!) Weren't they just dumped in communal pits or sent to the anatomists schools?
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

Now that's some good prog.

Great cover and contents.

Number 1 for me is Dredd with Bad Co close behind.

oh and Sin/Dex is back next week  :(
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

wedgeski

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said better, but this was a stupendous prog. Bad Company, in particular, was like a trip back in time. Brilliant execution.

Bolt-01

Whilst it was a treat to see the characters again, the opening of BAD Company felt very similar to the first episode of Dabnetts run on the V.C.'s...

It is lovely to see Rufus back where he belongs though.