Main Menu

Writing to Tharg 2012 - LETTERSENTERTAINYOU THE ROAD TO 10,000

Started by Buttonman, 20 May, 2012, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large48

Having seen The Beast (and it's operator) in action I can't wait for more!

:D
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Buttonman

Yes! It's time for another round of our never popular feature...

No. 807 : Al Ewing, Prog 1227

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

LeeCarter_Artdroid

I am the proud owner of a 2000ad cap and a mug, oh hang on, after a brief scan of the room Im relizing I haven't seen my 2000ad mug inwhile...must have been broken and the trauma has made me forget.
Anyway yup I had 2 Dredd drawings printed, both bad and I'm pretty sure they have been brought up here before.
Lee

Emperor

Quote from: LeeCarter_Artdroid on 02 June, 2012, 03:41:39 PMAnyway yup I had 2 Dredd drawings printed, both bad and I'm pretty sure they have been brought up here before.

Brought up and scans posted I believe. ;)

[edit: And a quick check shows the images have expired:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,24636.msg438084.html#msg438084

I must have them around here somewhere... ]
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Buttonman

No. 643 : Lee Carter, Prog 758

No. 644 : Lee Carter, Prog 822

LeeCarter_Artdroid

Jesus :)... Blast from the past...good to see he has plenty of ammo, just to say thankfully i kept practising  :)

COMMANDO FORCES

LeeCarter_Artdroid

Lol, aye I got myself banned from Chester zoo as I was from Hartlepool, they didn't have the insurance :D

Buttonman

As our six readers are aware LETTERSENTERTAINYOU recently relaunched with a frankly breathtaking competition where the prize was a life changing copy of the 'Droid Life' book. Obviously this massive prize meant an influx of mail that made Blue Peter appeals of the 1970's look frankly shit.

We managed to pare down the entrants to two - the mighty and impressive Emperor and <titter> Proudhuff.

Let's reaquaint ourselves with the question :

Hmm toughie.

Emperor came up with what must be the right answer 'Nestor'. Great stuff what's the postcode there at your mansion of intellect?

Oh farts.

Still there's no way Tom will chance upon the correct answer...

Buggeration - send us your address Tom. Well done...

Emperor

It seems your opinion of Mr Huff might be starting to rub off on me. Stop it or I'll call the police.  :-[
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Buttonman

Yes we're back to indulge in this weekend of Diamond celebrations - yes we managed to snag 3 litres of  Diamond White cider while the shop keeper was distracted (read : unconscious) so it's all go at Beast Towers.

The celebrations continue as the new digitised Beast now has images, although even our high tech scanner wouldn't  read the pishy bits that comprised 'Middenface McDredd'. We enjoyed the first Input page since Prog 1782 and only the third since Prog 1773 - that's barely one a month!

Well we'll work with what we've got so say hello to Prog 1786 and it's 4  large letters. We do like the odd witty one liner but let's see what the non-concise correspondents have to say.

First up it's 'Check my credentials' DR Richard Evans of Colwyn Bay. He may have spent 8 years at university but the dawdling Doc scores only his first Beast entry with this offering - that's assuming he's not the Richard Evans (no 'Dr') of Merseyside of Progs 2005 and 1386 fame.

The Quality Quack gets the Letter of the week berth and waxes lyrical about all the good stuff presently going on in the Prog. He does prophesies the death of Dan Francisco - that'd never happen unless the Mega-City Doctors went on strike - they'd never do that! He loses points for advocating Dredd taking illegal Stookie to keep his youth, but I imagine he'd be forthcoming with the prescription.

Overall this is a lacklustre 'Letter of the Week' but no doubt Tharg is doing a Basil Fawlty and pandering to the educated classes. This is the first letter ever to come out of Colwyn Bay although we did once have a drawing - 'Tharg's Got a Lotta Bottle' from Matthew Miller in Prog 314. Do you want to see it? OK then :

Hardly worth it was it? Still tough turkey Lottery Funders!

Oh Joy! Next up is Richard Joy of Liverpool whose happy name belies the dull content of his letter. He has an excuse of course -  he's both snagged and impregnated a woman! And we though 'Zaucer of Zilk' was far fetched! This ardent fan hasn't read a Prog in two years but is surprised the characters are ageing. Maybe if he cracked a Prog every 100 weeks or so he might have an opinion worth hearing!

This is the happy fellow's first ever letter and he joins the Joy jamboree on one with his chums Shane of Hastings (Prog 451) and Maurice of London (Prog 546). The narrow window of Joy included Joy Wheeler of Kington of Prog 442 notoriety - if she married Robert she'd probably still be Joy Wheeler - chicks these days eh?

Next up is Neil Colquhoun who is our favourite Edinburgh pensmith. In truth he's the only one, as that other guy uses a stolen Argos pencil for his ramblings. Neil gets his football colours here with his 11th offering in a career stretching back to Prog 803 in 1992 when he was living in Stevenson. In truth 11 letters will rank as his 2nd greatest achievement after getting out of Stevenson. Neil has been a consistent correspondent missing out on only 2011 in the last 5 years. He has 1 Meg letter (Meg 281) and is the only Colquhoun to trouble The Beast although we do have 104 'Neils'.

Neil starts his letter with a bit of Dickens  but it more like a 'Tale of Two Titties' as he rambles on two fronts, attempting to praise and criticise in equal measure. He 'imagines' the Zilk is dividing readers but chooses not to research the matter by straying to the Message board, resulting in a humiliating '0' for the Board population this week. The rest of the letter is a bit of a ramble and clearly not worth the full column it is allocated. He does get a bit of unfair censure from Tharg who rubbishes his assertion that 'Helter Skelter' is better than 'The Pitt' even though he never said such a thing.

We go to manual for the last letter, in the company of Chris Haynes of West Yorkshire. This cements Chris' place in the 'Half Dozen Club' in a slow process that started so promisingly with the Letter of the Week in Prog 1162. He was last seen in Meg 228 back in 2005 so it's good to have him back in the fold doing the value work. He admits to his lax letter policy by saying it's been a while since he'd written, but was it worth the wait?

Hmmmm. No. He likes the 'Zilk' which is fair enough but 'Flesh' ? Seems a long shot at best. He does offer love for the lovely Denise and encourages Tharg to go into one of his celebrated letters page rants. Lovely stuff.

Although just a foursome we enjoyed this outing that takes our totaliser to 9855 - not long now! (until the 9870s are breached).

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 June, 2012, 09:52:41 AM

Overall this is a lacklustre 'Letter of the Week' but no doubt Tharg is doing a Basil Fawlty and pandering to the educated classes.

That reminds me, are you able to locate a letter from 'Basil the Rat' in a prog about 15-20 years ago?

Buttonman

Extensice searches of the Beast's database shows no matches for the string of 'Basil the Rat' or any variations thereof. Can you conform the reader's real name, town or approximate issue number?

shaolin_monkey

Basil the Rat was the name given, Pontypridd was the town, and it would have been a prog sometime between July and November in 1991...or 1990...  Or possibly 1992.  I hope that narrows it down a bit?