Main Menu

iPad woes

Started by Timothy, 28 November, 2015, 09:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Anyone else unable to open the iPad app this morning? I've tried turning things off and on and have even deleted and reinstalled the app and it still boots me straight out every time. It worked fine last night.

Eamonn Clarke

exactly the same here and no recent update showing in the app store.
is the app server down?

Bhuna

twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Colin YNWA

When I opened it on Android it said there was a problem connecting to the Store, but okayed that and the App openned. So thinking (though know nowt about such things in detail) its a server problem at the 2000ad end?

Mardroid

The main website is down too. I get a server error when attempting to connect to it. I imagine the issues with the app are connected. I guess these forums are stored on a different server.

Timothy

Yay! Now to redownload all the stuff I lost when I deleted the app.

2000ADWebDroid

Apologies for the problems with the 2000 AD apps and websites over the weekend, our main database cluster failed on Saturday. Everything should be working again now.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: 2000ADWebDroid on 30 November, 2015, 10:21:07 AM
our main database cluster failed

Sounds uncomfortable!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Timothy

Just so I know what to do in the future if this happens am I right in thinking that the problem was that the app could not connect to the 2000ad servers. Does this mean that if I had turned off the Wi-Fi on my device the app would have opened and allowed me access to content already downloaded?

mrketch

Yes it should do. I tried doing that just now on my Samsung tablet and it allowed me to read downloaded props. iPad should work the same way.

IndigoPrime

I was trying to calm some very pissed off people on Facebook about this over the weekend. Is there any reason why the app actually bombs out when it can't find the server? Can't it just throw up a dialog box saying "Whoops. Our server's having a wee problem!" and then continue working with local content only?

Devons Daddy

QUESTION ON THIS,

i have for some time been considering going digital,
but feat the action of cancelling a physical sub in some way is a negative action in its perception to the suits at Rebellion, and more so THARG and his hard working droids.
personally to go Digital for 2000ad is stop alter a habit of decades, Prog 1 till now,
though I enjoy many other publications in this format.

seeking your advisement here.
does every digital download add to the coffers or in some manner increase overall costs for rebellion in terms of physical print.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

2000ADWebDroid

@Devons Daddy - apologies for the massive delay in replying to your question about the merits of physical vs.digital revenue-wise for Rebellion/Tharg, only just saw your question in this thread.

Digital sales of 2000 AD are more profitable for us, as although the cover price is less, the production costs are too (no need to print and physically distribute), and there's no risk of wasting money on unsold copies (though we're pretty good at estimating how many copies we need to print).

Also, we make more per copy sold for digital products sold direct through the 2000 AD web store or the Rebellion Account Portal store than through our 2000 AD iOS and Android apps, as we have to pay Apple/Google their cut for sales made through them. Individual digital Progs are also a little cheaper (in the UK anyway) when purchased through our own websites.

So basically, we make the most per unit on digital items sold direct through one of our own websites.

BTW don't forget, if you buy a digital subscription through the Rebellion Account Portal website, not only can you download your Progs/Megs as DRM-free PDF and/or CBZ files to your PC, but you can also download and view your subscription issues through our mobile apps. at no extra charge, if you sign-in with the same account. This works (in both directions) for all other digital purchases (graphic novels etc.) too.

Don't forget that