Main Menu

What color is Dredds suit?

Started by Dread, 30 January, 2016, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Comics tend to be a bit confusing where the colour black costumes and uniforms are concerned. I used to think Batman's cowl and cloak were blue. That was how it was depicted in the comics. The fact that the Adam West series followed suit (literally. Ha ha) and kiddie outfits of Batman tended to have blue cloaks didn't help.

When the Burton films had Batman in all black, I thought that quite a novelty.

Later on I found out his cloak and cowl were originally intended to be black. The artists just aren't keen on literally doing it that colour!

Similar deal with Dredd, I suppose, although a blue uniform made sense to me considering the Judges evolution from the police. But black works too.

I'm glad the upcoming 3a figure is uniformed in black.

I, Cosh

I'm perfectly happy to simultaneously accept that the blue colouring in old Progs is intended to be reflection off black leather and that I always painted miniatures as blue and if I ever painted another I'd do the same.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

I remember seeing a Steve Dillon cover during the Oz storyline was the first time I realised Dredd's uniform was black. 

I prefer black; simply because black leather (or whatever it is) is cool and blue leather isn't.  I remember Will Simpson did a particularly light blue Dredd; still a great artist though.

I think the green elbow and kneepads are now firmly etablished, but that took a while - They're yellow all throughout America.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

pauljholden

Depends on who's drawing it.

It's a graphic representation that, until recently, has never really had a real physical manifestation, so it's like asking should the word "Hell" smell of brimstone.

Personally, when I draw it, it's black and white. And if it's printed on the slightly yellowed newsprint, I prefer the blue - the material is some weird mix of leather/lycra that doesn't exist. If it's full colour digital colouring, it depends on who's colouring it and then I usually prefer blue.

I think if you're doing that suit as a real physical item, probably black is the best way to go, and black leather at that.

pj
(As a caveat to that, I once had a big argument about someone on a newsgroup about this, and they maintained it was black - and I said blue, they tried to trump me with "well, I say it's black and I've read every issue of 2000AD" to which I responded "well, I say it's blue and I've read every issue of 2000AD AND I've drawn him". Still makes me chuckle a little...)

teckno viking

Plus TBH has Not the Artist DADDY of Dredd Carlos stated it is Black?

As for this evolution of Policeman colour to Judge colour. Do NOT forget we are talking US based. East coast of the US 9That MC1 takes up) you will see officers in Blue, White, Green, Tan, Black, etc uniforms.

As a more Militaristic look of Black is more and more apart of Today's US police Depts, Sheriffs dept, County, etc it is no surprise Black is the main colour.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: pauljholden on 31 January, 2016, 05:19:19 PM
"well, I say it's blue and I've read every issue of 2000AD AND I've drawn him". Still makes me chuckle a little...)

And the chuckling is infectious! :D

Like I said earlier, artists interpretation. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: teckno viking on 31 January, 2016, 05:23:58 PM

I also remember a very old rookie story (the first Judge Giant's debut perhaps?) where a judge explicitly states that he has earned the black helmet; so I assume the rest of the uniform is black too.  You're drawing it wrong, PJ  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

has Not the Artist DADDY of Dredd Carlos stated it is Black?

The Ezquerra uniform has always been black

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 January, 2016, 04:04:21 PM
I'm perfectly happy to simultaneously accept that the blue colouring in old Progs is intended to be reflection off black leather and that I always painted miniatures as blue and if I ever painted another I'd do the same.

Same here.  And not just because black is a bugger to paint.

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell I chose the wrong thread to read whilst about to colour Dredd. Might do two different versions...

teckno viking

So really Carlos set precedent but others Artists have change colour, as they do Lawmaster, Eagle, appearance, etc.

For me Black is the BASE and always will be. As for appearance, it's a mix mainly Bolland, Carlos and a couple of others.

pauljholden

Quote from: Butch on 31 January, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
has Not the Artist DADDY of Dredd Carlos stated it is Black?

Except for the bits in that picture where he's coloured it blue.

-pj

pauljholden

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 January, 2016, 05:46:02 PM

I also remember a very old rookie story (the first Judge Giant's debut perhaps?) where a judge explicitly states that he has earned the black helmet; so I assume the rest of the uniform is black too.  You're drawing it wrong, PJ  ;)

Hey, I draw it black and white...

Spikes

Yeah, if asked years ago I'd have said blue - due to misunderstanding the colouring in the prog.

Seeing Dredd in the real world ie; a figure or some such, that is blue, looks, well, a bit crap.....

Black is way cooler. Black is nicely fascist. Innit.

Frank

Quote from: pauljholden on 31 January, 2016, 06:55:10 PM
Quote from: Butch on 31 January, 2016, 06:10:44 PM

Except for the bits in that picture where he's coloured it blue

There are bits in the first image where he's coloured the leather* yellow. The leather is not yellow.

* I agree with you it's not leather, just as the eagle isn't metal and the kneepads aren't whatever kneepads are currently made out of