Main Menu

Who is Michael Carroll going to KILL (in 2000 AD)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 04 February, 2016, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 February, 2016, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 05 February, 2016, 01:22:25 PM
Everyone.

Mike's made a 3D model of a TAD so realistic, it actually works.

Well, that will certainly shake a few things up in, and indeed outside of, Dredd continuity.

I'm sure it still wouldn't count as canon for some ;)

BPP

Doleman innit. A Dredd by default.

Really only Carrolls stand-out addition to Dreddworld was bringing him back. He certainly shouldn't be allowed to kill of anyone else characters. I guess the Irish lad and the Russian are floating around his dull take on Dredd.

Maybe it'll be the Queen. Afterall we did get that ham-fisted orish 'fxxkin brits' tosh a few months ago.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 05 February, 2016, 03:12:54 PM
My understanding is that Wagner is still writing Dredd stories

Yeah, but that's what I meant when I was talking about each writer having their own bit of turf. Wagner's recent stories have all been very self contained - events in a single block, a single (secret) unit of the department, a magic whistle from the future - with only the appointment of Beeny to the council registering on the continuitometer.

In the same way that Carroll and Williams had their own rep company and storylines that buzzed along in the background without stepping on Wagner's toes, I'm sure whatever Wagner has planned for Beeny and PJ Maybe will do nothing to interfere with whatever Matt Smith and his writer of choice decide the next mega-epic should be*.

I'm writing as if it's a fait accompli; it's not, but a Summer event story and a high profile death seem like editorial's emphatic response to the idea that if Wagner didn't write it it didn't happen.

* Arthur Wyatt and Ben Willsher's Mechanismo Reborn? Ian Edginton and D'Israeli's War Of Dredd's World? Michael Carroll and Greg Staples's The Revenge Of Sabbat?

The Adventurer

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 February, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
TBH if it is going to be anyone I kind of hope it is Hershey.  I just can't get behind the dynamics there.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is about her as CJ but it really just doesn't work properly for me.  Sorry.

And to Mr Soap:  loving the single entendre there.

I loved Hershey as Chief Judge, and I LOVED that she went into self imposed exile when Francisco got the Chief Judge job. I HATED having her resume the role after that fiasco. I thought that was just a little too rapid a back peddle. And she hasn't really felt like the same character since her return. To the point for a while I thought she wasn't the real deal.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

BPP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 05 February, 2016, 05:26:46 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 February, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
TBH if it is going to be anyone I kind of hope it is Hershey.  I just can't get behind the dynamics there.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is about her as CJ but it really just doesn't work properly for me.  Sorry.

And to Mr Soap:  loving the single entendre there.

I loved Hershey as Chief Judge, and I LOVED that she went into self imposed exile when Francisco got the Chief Judge job. I HATED having her resume the role after that fiasco. I thought that was just a little too rapid a back peddle. And she hasn't really felt like the same character since her return. To the point for a while I thought she wasn't the real deal.

The Hersey / Dredd tensions around Trifecta were great tho. This 'my position means our relationship has changed' dislike of Dredd (last seen in the shooting down of the Enceladus shuttle over MC1) is a real key point that should be explored in depth. Maybe even resulting in Dredd being totally isolated a la Edgar for his clashes with the CJ who knows him best.

Tjm86

I will agree that the Trifecta tension worked well.  The recent Enceladus follow up (can't remember the title off the top of my head) didn't so much.  Perhaps you hit the nail on the head BPP when you said it was something that should be explored.  The lack of depth may be the real problem, giving it the appearance of being contrived.  It would be nice to see this explored properly as a running subthread leading up to a suitably dramatic resolution against the backdrop of the next major catastrophe to assail what is left of MC1 (MC 0.00001 perhaps now, I mean what percentage of the original meg is actually left?)

ZenArcade

If Mike kills off my Barbara, I'll be heading to Dublin with a loaded musket!! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Zenith 666

I was going to hunt link down earlier because I thought that Rico and Koburn team up was cruel lies but it's not its bloody true WOO!!!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: BPP on 05 February, 2016, 05:17:36 PM

Really only Carrolls stand-out addition to Dreddworld was bringing him back. He certainly shouldn't be allowed to kill of anyone else characters. I guess the Irish lad and the Russian are floating around his dull take on Dredd.

Maybe it'll be the Queen. Afterall we did get that ham-fisted orish 'fxxkin brits' tosh a few months ago.
So, SO much wrong in this one post I need to go and take a long lie down.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 February, 2016, 11:52:48 PM

And that was after it was edited...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 February, 2016, 11:52:48 PM

Have to agree with Hawk.   Obviously it's all a matter of taste, but still.

BPP

Its a matter of taste and I don't think it needs elaborated on.

Nor do I think it needs a chorus of disapproval.

I refrained for commenting on those who were expressing dislike of Rob Williams work the other day.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: BPP on 07 February, 2016, 12:39:29 AM
Its a matter of taste and I don't think it needs elaborated on.
I refrained for commenting on those who were expressing dislike of Rob Williams work the other day.
Those people are also heartless monsters!

JayzusB.Christ

It was mainly the 'fxxx the brits' idea I found wrong.  I really, really don't think that was the message.  You're entitled to dislike who you want.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 February, 2016, 02:28:35 AM
It was mainly the 'fxxx the brits' idea I found wrong.  I really, really don't think that was the message.  You're entitled to dislike who you want.

Just re-reading that; I meant you're entitled to dislike any writer you want; not any nationality.