Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 10:21:15 AMwhat worries me more is the leadership race especially gove,he denied wanting the top job and supported boris but suddenly stabbed him in the back...is that the sort of fella we want leading us?

Also, does a leadership race really bother you more than a sudden, massive outbreak of hate crimes that may last a very long time?  Yes, your country will be led by a power-hungry fuck no matter what happens, but that's been the case for a long time.
Farage is the true winner here - he has no real political responsibilities, but the immigrants are finally getting the treatment he's always wished on them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 July, 2016, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 10:21:15 AMas for all the maggots coming out of the woodwork, there's racism in every country we are no different.

Not good enough for me, sorry.  When racist incidents increase fivefold in the space of a week, there's something seriously wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/30/police-report-fivefold-increase-race-hate-crimes-since-brexit-result

While some knuckleheads might have been emboldened to become more brazen about their racism, so too might those who suffer it have been convinced to come forward and report it rather than stick their heads down or laugh it off, which I've seen a lot of over the years - racism being excused in the name of banter or the "unique British sense of humor".
At the very least, if someone sees a racist incident, there's a good chance they'll film it, even if only to get Youtube views.  It's not much comfort for the victims, but racism has entered the public debate and the implicit message is that it's not on.

GordonR

Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 10:21:15 AM
as for all the maggots coming out of the woodwork, there's racism in every country we are no different.

Well, there you go.  There's racism elsewhere, so what can you do?  *shrug*  I mean, why bother trying to do anything about it?  Or even mentioning it?

Now I'm off to join Grugz in his personalised Anderson shelter, where we'll listen to Vera Lynn records, leaf through vintage copies of the Daily Mail ("Hurrah for the Blackshirts!" - 1934) and wait for this whole brouhaha to blow over.

Grugz

who said you're getting in?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 July, 2016, 11:01:12 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 July, 2016, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 10:21:15 AMas for all the maggots coming out of the woodwork, there's racism in every country we are no different.

Not good enough for me, sorry.  When racist incidents increase five-fold in the space of a week, there's something seriously wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/30/police-report-fivefold-increase-race-hate-crimes-since-brexit-result
This i'm afraid. We should be pioneering tolerance and equity, not going back 80 years.

And you may not see it from inside, but as a visitor and outside observer, Britain is normally streets ahead of most when it comes to racial and religious tolerance and integration. I often compare UK and US media and despair at how far the States is mired in division.

ZenArcade

'who said you're getting in?' :lol:

We'll call it a 'Johnson Shelter': Very dodgy foundations; two walls; no roof, and a big pile of shite in the corner. Z ;)
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Professor Bear

To be a real Johnson Shelter, it has to have no roof or walls: someone has simply to have opened a sewer and climbed in.

If you're in Northern Ireland and can get to Belfast, there's an impromptu march - and not the eventful kind one might expect at this time of year - outside Stormont at 10:45 tomorrow morning, with speakers from the major parties and the SDLP addressing public concerns.

ZenArcade

Just a bit of creative licence: I had to add walls in order do define where the shite would be.

Alas, I'm down in Sunny south Tyrone tomorrow (Proud the area voted remain btw), but fully endorse all who attend at the march. Z

Grugz

well,with all the shite,my rhubarb will come up lovely... it's all right Gordon having his little sarcastic snipes likening me to a Nazi sympathiser with his blackshirt comment..i don't care what he thinks, but he doesn't offer any solution to the rise in demonstrated racism...yes its been there and no it won't go away,you can't make people change their viewpoint even if it is wrong ... the eu had so many things wrong with it  including the act that allowed convicted criminals from other countries to stay in the uk even after continuing their activities here (i'm thinking of the fella who killed a child after being banned from driving) or the anti semetic /anti free thinking western rantings of things like abu Hamza and the other "cleric" who spout hate but the eu human rights act/court whatever wouldn't let us get rid of them and force us to keep them on the public purse for years)

and as I asked in a previous post,how is the decision to leave the eu different to Scotland's desire to leave the uk?  I also notice that even though we haven't even initiated article 50 and are still technically part of the eu ,Europe has started sending us to Coventry by not allowing dave to attend a meeting but nic snuck into...

on a final note it is sad that everyone who voted remain cannot accept the decision of the majority with good grace but instead  start hurling insults towards anyone who chose to leave.painting them as the fourth reich .
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

ZenArcade

Grugs,  the general consensus a week or more after the vote, is that it has been a disastrous,  surreal trip into a hell of political chaos; social division; semi-legitimised racism and incipient economic chaos. Z

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 05:18:57 PMon a final note it is sad that everyone who voted remain cannot accept the decision of the majority with good grace but instead  start hurling insults towards anyone who chose to leave.painting them as the fourth reich

Thank fuck it wasn't anything important. Gotta go, though. Someone's still banging on about England's defeat to Iceland.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 01 July, 2016, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 05:18:57 PMon a final note it is sad that everyone who voted remain cannot accept the decision of the majority with good grace but instead  start hurling insults towards anyone who chose to leave.painting them as the fourth reich

Thank fuck it wasn't anything important. Gotta go, though. Someone's still banging on about England's defeat to Iceland.
:lol:

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 July, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
To be a real Johnson Shelter, it has to have no roof or walls: someone has simply to have opened a sewer and climbed in.

If you're in Northern Ireland and can get to Belfast, there's an impromptu march - and not the eventful kind one might expect at this time of year - outside Stormont at 10:45 tomorrow morning, with speakers from the major parties and the SDLP addressing public concerns.
And if you're in London there's a small scale gathering on Highbury Fields, next to Highbury Corner tube station.

Tjm86

Quote from: GordonR on 01 July, 2016, 11:42:40 AM

Well, there you go.  There's racism elsewhere, so what can you do?  *shrug*  I mean, why bother trying to do anything about it?  Or even mentioning it?

Well me, I'm off for a Chinese.

Modern Panther

Quoteand as I asked in a previous post,how is the decision to leave the eu different to Scotland's desire to leave the uk? 

If Westminster only existed because Brussels permitted it to, then you'd have a comparison.