Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 22 June, 2016, 07:53:39 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 20 June, 2016, 09:35:44 PM
Didn't expect Titan to show up, and especially not this close to the tpb!

It'll probably leave out the rest of it. Makes for a nice ending to Nixon's story. I wonder if it'll include the christmas story as well, the one where Frank wonders what became of Nixon post DOC. Wouldn't mind that :)

The stories in the volume are:

Creation
Jive Turkey
Hostile Takeover
The Deal
Titan

Jive Turkey is the pre-DOC Christmas story, still a lot of fun.

Anything of note in Inferno, other than the title story and Purgatory?

It's a great one. Perhaps "The Really Big Christmas Sleep" could show up elsewhere with the rest of Titan? Some post DOC-book or in the "Dark Side of the Moon" one?

Regardless. Really looking forward being able to read both MC1 undercover books followed by Trifecta :)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Apestrife on 22 June, 2016, 08:13:03 PM
Perhaps "The Really Big Christmas Sleep" could show up elsewhere with the rest of Titan? Some post DOC-book or in the "Dark Side of the Moon" one?

That's a weird one, though - a prologue to a story that hasn't happened yet...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 June, 2016, 07:57:39 PM
Read somewhere it includes Frankenstein Division and Death Aid.

I'm not a fan of either story, but somehow -if they're collected together- this makes them better. Today's big writers, who back in the day was writing grim Dredd.

Really hope Molcher get's to interview both Millar as well Morrison about their Dredd stint. Either in the book or on the 2000ad podcast. Somehow/time.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 June, 2016, 08:21:14 PM
Perhaps "The Really Big Christmas Sleep" could show up elsewhere with the rest of Titan? Some post DOC-book or in the "Dark Side of the Moon" one?

Been a while since I read it, but didn't it center around Frank thinking of what became of Nixon and then mentioning the cold as well a bit of snowing?

In my mind it'd fit quite nicely into things. Frank alone again and snow (which was his stick in Trifecta right?)

In a way, I think somewhat think Titan does a good job ending things (if it does, in the mega collection). Dredd and Nixon reaches a full circle and Nixon get's a snow send off similar to the beginnings of Frank in Trifecta (where he lost his eye when almost freezing to death, if I remember things correctly).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 June, 2016, 08:21:14 PM

Been a while since I read it, but didn't it center around Frank thinking of what became of Nixon and then mentioning the cold as well a bit of snowing?

It's a story that sets up the return of Judge Smiley and his black-ops Judges - so a bit of a Trifecta epilogue in many ways.
@jamesfeistdraws

Timothy

Yet it also tied in - the city getting colder and whatnot - with the Enceladus arc. My one disappointment with Titan/Enceladus as a whole is that this thread was left hanging. Still, it means there's more good stuff to come.

Davgardo

Re: The Inferno Volume

I had great fun re-reading these stories. Sure Frankenstein Division is ridiculous, of course Purgatory/Inferno misjudges what we expect from Dredd the strip and Dredd the character: excess violence with little wit or soul. But you know what? Now we can view this period from afar I kind of like that Dredd went through, and perhaps more importantly, came through it. A sort of teenage acid trip. Characterization and plot are often all over the place but it's always a bare knuckle ride that never takes its foot off the accelerator (to mix my metaphors). And Ezquerra's art shines on every page, every panel: probably my favourite period of his.
And let's not forget Death Aid: one of Garth Ennis' best scripts (and one of his first, if memory serves).

Apestrife

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 June, 2016, 11:56:30 PM
It's a story that sets up the return of Judge Smiley and his black-ops Judges - so a bit of a Trifecta epilogue in many ways.

Re read it now (haven't since it was first released). You're quite right. Awesome Little story.

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 23 June, 2016, 08:22:18 AM
Yet it also tied in - the city getting colder and whatnot - with the Enceladus arc. My one disappointment with Titan/Enceladus as a whole is that this thread was left hanging. Still, it means there's more good stuff to come.

I share that sentiment.

Trent

Arrived! Little odd only having the opening of Titan but it does fit the volume. Inferno is beautifully drawn nonsense (more Schwarzeneggar than Stallone Dredd) but my only concern is the subject of the article re corrupt judges etc. I hope this doesn't mean we won't be getting a Judges Gone Bad themed volume which seemed a natural themed collection to me comprising the very stories mentioned.
Along with Chief Judges Man with the other Edgar stories this was one I was holding out for.
If not, then maybe in the extension (one can hope).

abelardsnazz

I'm hoping for a Judges Gone Bad collection too - sure I read there would be one somewhere. My favourite is Crazy Barry, Little Mo and its sequel Banana City, hope those are included.

The Second Low Life volume is great, brilliant stories and art, and Dirty Frank is a sublime creation - more please.

Tjm86

The Facebook page has the cover up for the Day the Law Died with a blurb describing Necropolis.  Then the tag line "What are you expecting".  Cue lots of sarcy comments.

Considering the track record on B & W to date I'm not massively optimistic.  The exception being the more recent stuff.

Judge Brian

I've found a way to get all but 5 volumes so far. They're all drokkin perfect.

Trent

Really looking forward to the next two already; my first prog was 85 so The Day the Law Died was my first Dredd tale. Obviously written for younger audiences than current Dredd but for my money it has some of the best artwork ever to appear in the Prog and contains more ideas and craziness than a dozen modern tales. Genius British comics at their very best.
Horror stories is exactly the sort of volume I would like to see an extension load of. Classic Dredd from the entire history of the Prog with a thematic link. It is volumes like this that distinguishes the Mega Collection from the Casefiles and even most Rebellion trades which tend to cover epics or discrete story arcs many of which have been efectively reprinted in this collection.

Spikes

Yes, I'll echo the sentiment that its rather odd indeed that this latest book doesn't include the whole of the Titan storyline. Would have been perfect if it had. But still, not read the bulk of this before, and a flick through reveals cracking art. Onto the reading pile it goes, but its jumped the queue and is up next.

Jade Falcon

Finally got round to reading this.  The Frank stories are a bit....odd.  I don't dislike them, it's just their tone is a bit unusual compared to Dredd.  Once you settle down and read a few pages its fine.  I liked the Hondo story and Franks contacts, though it seems a shame that those characters went down so easy.

The Titan story I enjoyed, but now that I know it's only a part of one I'm happier as it seemed to leave things hanging.  The one little thing that puzzled me was Aimee Nixons speech to the convicts after the charges were set and it pans to a shot of these guys (and I assume girls), most of which didn't seem to have the modifications that inmates get when sent to Titan.

Is there a story where the SJS Judge is shown?  I'd like to know his story a bit more.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 June, 2016, 10:55:17 PM
Is there a story where the SJS Judge is shown?  I'd like to know his story a bit more.

He appeared in two previous stories before Titan, both of which are collected in the Fallout collection. Obviously he returned in the two Titan sequels as well.
@jamesfeistdraws