Main Menu

Kingdom of the Wicked

Started by Tordelbach, 08 January, 2005, 11:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tordelbach

Just got 'Kingdom of the Wicked' hardback this afternoon for the princely sum of ?17.70 (about 50p in Sterling, I think), and am halfway through it.  Just paused long enough to say:

If you haven't seen this before, buy it.  Buy it now.

This is just a wonderful piece of work, and I can't wait to see how it continues.  If you thought Ian and Matt were a top team before... well, just buy it.  Me, I'm off to finish it...

The Amstor Computer

Nice recommendation - I picked this story up when it was first published as a floppy, and then again when it appeared on Cool Beans. The hardback looks fantastic, and it's highly recommended.

Enjoy, Tordelbach!

DavidXBrunt

It's out? Now? And in Colour? I think I might cry!

Great comic that I'm going to have to buy on Wednesday when I get tot he comic shop.

Dan Kelly

It is and is utterly gorgeous.  The only thing that is perhas missing is an explanation of it's history...  D'Izzy says that this edition is 12 years in the making in his dedication...

Dan

Tordelbach

Finished it late last night, re-read it this morning (I'm not exactly Mr. Popular with the ever-busy Tordelgirl as a result but ehnh) and it did NOT disappoint.  Actually very moving in places.  Why have I never seen this slice of genius before?  I too would have liked a "Making of.." intro. Anyone here got the facts?

Some thoughts:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I had initial worries that it was a bit too "Game of You" (or indeed the Vertigo-verse in general, particularly since Matt's art veered towards Teddy Kristiansen's from the "Midnite Theatre" Sandmen crossover), but in fact other than sharing a common theme (the deserted fantasies of childhood overthrown by cruel interloper) it was vastly superior in both coherence, characterisation and "real-world" resolution.  Wow.  

Also loved the B&W short at the back.  Best money I've spent in a long while.

Trout

I have this on order at my comics supplier, and hope to own it within a week or two.

Can't wait!

- Trout

Byron Virgo

Originally published in full by Caliber (but in b&w) after original publisher went bust.

Later available online on Cool Beans website, as primer for Scarlet Traces, prior to site being closed.

Now released via Dark Horse due to popularity of release of aforementioned Scarlet Traces collection.

House of Usher

I saw it in Forbidden Planet. It looked mind-boggling, and very good value for money. Not entirely sure it's my kind of thing, though. It's the kind of thing I'd like to be able to borrow from the library. Perhaps every library in the land could obtain a copy?
STRIKE !!!

Dan Kelly

One or two panels have certainly been touched up in the colouring process to make them absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Dan

Dunk!

I didn't realise how poor the Calibre B/W reproduction was until i got my Full Colour version on Sat.

Glorious colour - such a difference, the Calibre one now looks like a badly photocopied bootleg.

D'Israeli seems to have used his computer to add some colour pencil to a lot of the panels - giving them a new energy - and  airbrushed some of the light effects later on to smooth them out.
Not that I went through and compared the art... Ah go on then it is one of my favourite stories from a favourite artist.

Highly recommended.
"Trust we"

DavidXBrunt

One of the things I love about it is the...and I'm not sure how to express this...the sort of solid reality of the realworld stuff. Makes the transition so much better.

therev

er...forgive me for being a double dumbass but whats 'Kingdom of the Wicked' ?

Dan Kelly

Ian Edington and D'Isreali GN originally published in 4 parts as mentioned above.  Now in a glorious new Hard Cover from Dark Horse.  

Website explains a bit more.

Dan

Link: http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-257" target="_blank">Preview

Lord Running Clam

I've only read the first two parts,but the end of part one really gets me.

Trout

Agh!

I unexpectedly received this in the post today and now I can't wait to get home and read it!

Only three hours of work to go...