Main Menu

What is Heavy Metal Dredd??

Started by Jonas.Vesterlund, 25 August, 2002, 05:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Vesterlund

More then once have I heard the reference Heavy Metal Dredd. What is this a reference to?

Best//JONAS

paulvonscott

I could well be wrong here, but there is a collection of the same name and they are all stories, drawn by bisley that were printed in a metal magazine.  I don't think it was metal hammer, raw, metal force or kerrang, basically I can't remember.  They were okay, if thats what is meant. Nowt special.

Slippery PD

yeah you do hear a lot of references to them.  They were a series of dredd stories written for the magazine heavy Metal.  Much like teh daily star dredds.  Im sure some of the other regulars can give you a better run down

Leigh S

The heavy metal Dredds were a series of strips by Wagner Grant and usually Bisley that appeare din "Rock  Power" magazine

Smiley

I'm reasonably sure it was "Rock Power" magazine. I know there's been a "Heavy Metal Dredd" book collecting all(?) the strips, and a fair few have been reprinted in the Megazine or Poster Progs.

esoteric ed

There's a 1993 publication by Mandarin collecting a number of the early Heavy Metal Dredd strips, these strips had a harder edge to them which made them unlikely candidates for inclusion in 2000ad.

Most if not all of these strips appeared in the Meg, some of the later ones by artist John Hickleton (correct spelling?) are also worth checking out, real good fun and all in the worst possible taste!

Ed
http://iuma.speedera.net/artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/EequalsMC2/images/lg-205525.jpg">

Devons Daddy

i think some where featured in the megazine. though im not sure,a few pieces of the art have been avaible now and then on e bay. its not the normal style but has a great comic edge completely differnt to the tooth one, worth a look if you have not seen it at all.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

W. R. Logan

>yeah you do hear a lot of references to them.  They were a series of dredd stories written for the magazine heavy Metal.  Much like teh daily star dredds.  Im sure some of the other regulars can give you a better run down

All the Heavy Metal stories appeared in the Rock Power magazine, colected in a graphic noven by Hamlyn and most if not all were reprinted in the Megazine.

Judge Dredd:
Heavy Metal Dredd (Hamlyn)
First Published: 1993

All Scripts: John Wagner & Alan Grant.
All Art: Simon Bisley.

The Legend of Johnny Biker:
Reprinted: Meg 1.19

Ironfist:
Reprinted: Meg 2.61

Night Before Christmas:
Reprinted: Meg 2.62

The Great Arsoli:
Reprinted: Meg 3.15

Bimba:
Reprinted: Meg 3.17

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=reprint&page=gnprofiles&choice=heavy&Comic=" target="_blank">Heavy Metal

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/graphicnovels/mediumres/heavy.jpg">

Jonas.Vesterlund

Does anyone know were I can get my hands on a copy?

Jayzus B. Christ

Truth be told, I have it; it's not THAT good. I can't actually remember where it came from, and I'm not sure where it is now (I've never been much of a collecter).  Anyway, spend your money on something more rewarding, like the Halo Jones, Slaine or Cursed Earth graphic novels instead.  By the way, I think John Smith wrote some of the later Megazine Heavy Metal Dredds, which were illustrated by John Hicklenton. If I ever dig out the HMD graphic novel I'll let you know.

Jonas.Vesterlund

OK, I'll take your word for it. (I'll still like to see it). Last week I ordered the Judge Dredd vs Judge Death GN as well as the Rain Dogs. Brian Bolland and Colin Wilson usually tear s**t up so that should be well invested money...I hope..

davidbishop

As others have noted, Heavy Metal Dredd began life as a seires of one-off Dredd strips for Maxwell's Rock Power magazine, by Wagner, Grant & Bisley. Both Colin MacNeil and Brendan McCarthy did fill-in stories when Bisley was obviously running late. On a couple of other occasions, 2000 AD Dredd strips were reprinted as HMD in Rock Power.

All eight Bisley strips were reprinted in the Hamlyn collection and a Fleetway Quality one-shot. They were all also reprinted in the Megazine, beginning in 1.14 (and people complain about reprint now - the Meg's been doing it since 1991!).

Once Bisley quit the strip, more scripts were commissioned from Wagner and Grant. these were drawn by John Tomlinson but I don't think ever saw print in Rock Power - so they went straight into the Meg. Dean Ormston also did one - The Return of Johnny Biker.

Subsequently other writers took over the strip in the Meg - John Smith, Jim Alexander and one desperate, must-fill-these-pages, got-no-script effort by myself, masquerading behind my wife's maiden name, Alison Potter.

Easily my favourite amongst them all is The Great Arsoli (see Meg 3.15).

davidbishop