Main Menu

Mega-City One location name jokes

Started by Emperor, 15 November, 2010, 02:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Well we've recently had "Roger's mum's tunnel" (or as close as you can get) and at the start of "Death Aid" Garth Ennis slipped in "Control, this is Dredd. We've got a stiff in Julian Clary Alley" (prog 710). Got any favourites?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Dandontdare

Buddy

I never really like these 'puns'. It smacked of lazy writing and a way to get a cheap laugh, except most of them weren't that funny.

"a stiff in Julian Clary Alley"

Hilarious.

Greg M.

For some reason, "Latoya's going down!" from Garth Ennis's 'The Taking of Sector 123' (during the destruction of Latoya Jackson block) sticks in my head...

I, Cosh

We never really die.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 November, 2010, 10:32:47 PM
Monkey Business at Charles Darwin.

One of my all-time favorite Dredd tales !

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 November, 2010, 06:19:36 PM
For some reason, "Latoya's going down!" from Garth Ennis's 'The Taking of Sector 123' (during the destruction of Latoya Jackson block) sticks in my head...

I love that one.

Art

My first ever Black Museum story was pretty exciting to me for a couple of reasons - I was writing a Dreddworld story! I'd managed to get in a panel of Dredd saying "Drokk!", so I could vaguely claim to have written Dredd (even if it was just a sneaky backdoor Dredd) and, it being MegaCity One, I could make terrible punny jokes with Block Names.

So, anyway, that's why I am inordinately proud of the Catherine Tate Block Museum of Modern Art.

Proudhuff

i love the blockmanes stuff, not cheap jokes or such, but just a great wee thing MC1 does, especially the idea that blocks are named after obscure British TV stars etc

I've always hope that some one would sneek in The Skids TV allstars lyrics...

DDT did a job on me

Dode C

I'm sure Mike McMahon said he once had to redraw a panel where an elevated roadway obscured a large part of the name on Jimmy Clitheroe Block

Steve Green

Dean Gaffney Block, the ugly face of Mega City One, or something along those lines...

Emp

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 November, 2010, 05:08:27 PM
i love the blockmanes stuff, not cheap jokes or such, but just a great wee thing MC1 does, especially the idea that blocks are named after obscure British TV stars etc

I just randomly opened a few case files and all the block names i found refered to obscure actors/carpet dealers and the like....and quite a few had seedy lives/deaths...good old wiki