Main Menu

2000AD Custom Comic Binds - Take a look!

Started by chiefy2shoes, 05 April, 2011, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefy2shoes

So, I recently became addicted to comic binding.  For those that aware of this highly intoxicating hobby, you take a bunch of comics, cut out all the double page ads, back cover and anything else you don't want and then send it all off to a book bindery and they turn it into a lovely hard bound edition.  The beauty is that you're not restricted to standard publisher tpb contents but can include whatever you desire.  I have done quite a few Marvel/DC binds but decided I now wanted to do some 2000ad stuff.

I have two binds done of Megazine supplements, 275-290 and 291-306.  I then started the ambitious task of having every prog bound.  I started with 2010 and split it into two binds.  So, with two volumes for each publishing year it will be a lot of work but well worth it.  So much easier to flick through 25+ progs in one volume than leafing through individual progs.  

Also I will going to the Kapow Comicon at the weekend and will hopefully get some creators sigs in the front blank pages (maybe even a sketch or two if I'm lucky)

Let me know what you think.

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x392/chiefy2shoes/
edit - how do you add pics rather than just links?

Large48

Internally look good.

I've seen others with much better spines / covers, i.e. JD Fonts and titles etc.

They look like they are 'soft' cover as opposed to being hard back books.

Am keen on the idea though, although not sure what I would want to take out etc.

How much are they charging for these?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

chiefy2shoes

Quote from: Large48 on 05 April, 2011, 02:54:08 PM
Internally look good.

I've seen others with much better spines / covers, i.e. JD Fonts and titles etc.

They look like they are 'soft' cover as opposed to being hard back books.

Am keen on the idea though, although not sure what I would want to take out etc.

How much are they charging for these?

Yeah I've seen really nice fancy covers and logos/font but that comes with an extra cost.  These cost me £16.55 each up to a thickness of 2 1/2 inches. This includes any spine/cover text.  With the progs I left everything in but with the US comics I took out anything not story related.  They are hard backs but you can choose the buckram colour cover.

COMMANDO FORCES

Nice stuff but what happens when you come to a wraparound cover!!!

I don't think I could do this to the Prog or Meg but those DC ones I could.

Colin YNWA

I do really like the idea of doing this. Its just since I also love my original progs I'd end up having to buy a new set and then cutting out the stories I wanted bound from one set. So say producing a complete Sinister Dexter.

Still looks great and I have to say the price is cheaper than I thought it'd be.

chiefy2shoes

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 April, 2011, 03:06:18 PM
Nice stuff but what happens when you come to a wraparound cover!!!

I don't think I could do this to the Prog or Meg but those DC ones I could.

Thanks. I'll take a photo of a wrap around cover tonight and post it. You just need to fold the back page over to the front and fold it up a bit.

SmallBlueThing

I like the idea of doing this, especially as despite the doom-laden warnings of fat middleaged american nerds back in the eighties, the back issues of comics i have dating from the very early seventies which have been stored un-bagged and in an apple box all this time are still in as good condition as those i bagged and put in expensive 'acid free' boxes. I have therefore become unbothered about such things and find bagged progs a fucking chore to read to be frank.
A couple of shelves of bound progs would be much more convenient.
Hmm...
SBT

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

chiefy2shoes

Quote from: Large48 on 05 April, 2011, 03:49:04 PM
£16.55 nice and cheap.

Got a contact?

http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/

I've been dealing with Dave.  Turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks depending on how busy they are. Postage is a flat £13 so I try to send about 10 book loads at a time to benefit from this. I know what Colin says about having you rprogs nice and crisp and singulary bagged but I find this much more convenient for flicking through and picking out certain stories.

If anyone here is going to Kapow this weekend and wants to check out the quality I'll be taking them with me to hopefully get them signed and maybe even a pic or two from messers Mills, Jock, McCarthy, McMahon, Yeowell, Weston, Gibbons, Langley to name a few.

Colin YNWA

Yeah would defo like to see these in the flesh. Hope to catch up with you at Kapow. I suspect we'll be in a lot of the same queues.

chiefy2shoes

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 April, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
Yeah would defo like to see these in the flesh. Hope to catch up with you at Kapow. I suspect we'll be in a lot of the same queues.

pm sent

Mattofthespurs

Can't find the other binding thread that was on here so I have chosen this one as it would appear to be the newest.

Got my latest batch of Batman binds back from Hollingworth and Moss today and thought I would put up a piccy of them all so far. Picture taken in my man cave.

Hope you like
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s178.photobucket.com/user/MattoftheSpurs/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Colin YNWA

Well gosh they are simply wonderful.

Wonderful.

IronGraham

I'm considering getting this done what advice would you give
We're werewolves not swearwolves

ZenArcade

Jeez, I like my Progs the way they are. But who am I to judge. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead