Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

The only crowdfunding projects that even approach the level of funding a feature like Dredd would require -just to get made- are video games -even then only one succeeded- but that's a different market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Definitely Not Mister Pops

On the subject of videogames and kickstarter, Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw (he of Zero Punctuation) made some good points*:

Quote...I think Kickstarter is one of the troublemakers. It's a system wherein people are asked to pay for something based solely on a description, and in that environment, nostalgia is king. Projects that pledge to recreate old games you used to like are virtually guaranteed to make the money back. And through that process you can see microcosmic examples of nostalgia becoming a conduit for conservatism and mistrust of the outsider...

...But even outside Kickstarter we live in a time that has never been more obsessed with asking people what they want with every painful step. What with 'early access' and the endemic leaking of details to gauge audience reaction. And we all know by now what happens when you ask people what they want, don't we? They say they want the same stuff they already like. Culture is less and less about art, of creators making what interests them, and more and more about cynically making whatever has the bigger guarantee of money. Not that that's anything new, but the trend of turning game design into a conversation that we're all involved in results in bland design-by-committee being taken to a whole new level...

*You can find the whole article (mostly about the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia) here
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Great article, cheers Pops!

ZenArcade

It's a pity to Christ, they couldn't make another game like Rogue Trooper, not a big game fan but loved it!
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

karlurbaninternational

COMMANDO FORCES

Goaty

Awesome!

Never see this picture of Lex before :)

Krakajac

Lex's helmet seems to 'sit' a lot better than the other Judges in the film.  Lex's eyes look like they're in the right position.  The shot above shows just how good the helmet looks when they get it positioned correctly.  Pity they couldn't get Dredd's to look like this.

Case in point...

IAMTHESYSTEM

Maybe they could make another Film Judge Lex: Lawbreaker! tag line: how a Judge became corrupted by the mean streets he patrolled! :P

Oh the humanity. I'd watch it though.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

Some more behind the scenes of the Stunt/Body Doubles have been posted on Planet Replica's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.671032399599452.1073741829.210243555678341&type=1

The Sherman Kid

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Had the misfortune to watch Hansel and Gretel last night (comparable budget to Dredd),utter dross YET according to box office mojo it made $55 million domestic US and $170 million abroad !!! Talk of a sequel too.

It's a sick sick world  :-\

Theblazeuk

Marketing. Availability. Availability in 2D.

vzzbux

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 22 May, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Had the misfortune to watch Hansel and Gretel last night (comparable budget to Dredd),utter dross YET according to box office mojo it made $55 million domestic US and $170 million abroad !!! Talk of a sequel too.

It's a sick sick world  :-\
Which Hansel and Gretel film was it. I had the misfortune to watch the dross of a B movie based in an american high school. Spent most of the film counting how many times the extra with the very large afro appeared.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

blackest

i think he's talking about Tommy Wirkola version.he did dead snow.it's trash but i liked it.

The Sherman Kid

Yup that's the one.

Incredibly short too. Take out the intro and end credits and its around 1hr 15mins.

Still FAR too long for my liking though. :D